• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Howard Rogofsky
1 1

139 posts in this topic

Among fans of, ahem, somewhat advanced years, mentioning the name Howard Rogofsky is always certain to start a lively conversation. I remember that as a kid starting to collect comics in the mid-1960s, about the only source of GA books -- or even early SA books -- that my friends and I knew of was Howard's catalogs. Not that we could buy many at his prices!

Mike Carbo held a little one-day show for Howard today at the Holiday Inn on 57th Street. The purpose was to offer Howard's collection of books and magazines. If I understood it correctly, Carbo recently purchased the collection.

IMG_0349_zpsua7setpt.jpg

Howard seems to be doing fairly well, although, his wife, Gail, has passed away. As he put it: "About as well as you can do considering New York taxes!" :D

He has a lot of interesting stories about his time in and out of the hobby. One story I hadn't heard before is that he produced those early catalogs by dictating them to his mother, who was a skilled typist. In fact, if I'm remembering correctly, his catalogs were pretty free of typos.

He was autographing little flyers. During the time I was there, I was the only one who asked him for one. Here's a picture of a young Howard spliced in with a picture of Hoppy. (PB, of course, won't rotate it for me.)

IMG_0361_zpsvrtpqelr.jpg

His collection seems to consist mostly of old magazines: TV Guides, in particular, but also a lot of celebrity magazines, and Playboys. As well as some paperbacks and toys. There were a few boxes of mid-grade or lower, mostly SA, comics.

Carbo said that he was displaying about two-thirds of the collection. The implication I took was that the better third wasn't there.

IMG_0352_zpskmkzibwi.jpg

IMG_0354_zpsqooswjb2.jpg

IMG_0353_zpsxpsc6x6c.jpg

Nice show?

Very small, with not many attendees, at least while I was there. I dropped by for about an hour. I saw maybe five or six people looking through Howard's collection. One guy seemed to have put together a pretty good pile of stuff. Carbo took a look at it and said, "It's going to take me a while to come up with a price for these." In other words, nothing, so far as I could tell, had been priced before the show.

The only dealer there was Anthony Snyder. He brought some OA, some slabs, and all his raws that started with A. From what I could tell from talking with him, the raws were meant to advertise the volume of raws he has available and he wasn't actually expecting to sell much at the show. He did have maybe five or six people looking at his stuff.

IMG_0360_zpsqg7mhxgm.jpg

IMG_0357_zpsxxxusofb.jpg

IMG_0356_zpsahzcvxkt.jpg

Carbo, brought his Conserved Action 1. I'd seen it before, but it really is a nice book. He's asking just a teeny, tiny, ever-so-small amount more than I can pay.

He did say that he had a part-trade/part-cash offer for it that he was mulling over. So, if you'd like to own it, you better get moving! :D

IMG_0351_zpsqhpj7yug.jpg

He mentioned that he's investing a considerable amount in the March Big Apple Show, which will have more space and some significant guests. It's now two days -- which it may have been last year, as well; I don't know since I missed the show. At least for now, it will still be at the Penn Plaza.

IMG_0351_zpsqhpj7yug.jpg

Rusted staples. Pass. :insane:

Makes me think of an interesting point: Given the work already done on the book, would replacing the staples raise or lower the value? hm

And if the rusted staples were to be replaced with vintage staples from that same time period, would that be enough to push the entire book into PLOD territory, or would it still be considered to be a Blue Conserved book? ???

One guy seemed to have put together a pretty good pile of stuff. Carbo took a look at it and said, "It's going to take me a while to come up with a price for these." In other words, nothing, so far as I could tell, had been priced before the show.

Typical Carbo. lol

You "youngsters" have no idea what it was like to collect in the "old days". You had used book stores, small local comic cons and those little ads in the middle of your current comics with ads from Howard, Robert Bell, Bill Thailing, Richard Alf and a few others. No big comic cons, no CGC boards, or internet.

You would send away for a catalog with an SASE (self addredd stamped envelope) and wait for the catalog. It would come in the mail and you would read through marking down what you wanted. You would then send cash and list alternatives and wait. Being on the west coast, I would usually get my second choices or my money back. I was buying ECs and when they mail man came with that package my hands would tremble to see what I got.

Condition wasn't the issue, just getting the books was what mattered.

Howard was by far the priceist of the group but he had the stuff. You want it you pay that $5. for a random issue of Tales from the Crypt in vg and be happy.

Glad to see he is still kicking. I would have loved to meet him and hear his stories. He is a legend. Thanks for the photo Tony, and your report. I am told he is pretty camera shy. I know TricolorBrian has posted and old photo of him "back in the day" at Cherokee books. Maybe he will see this and repost it again.

Carbo, the king of merchandising. Just gotta love the guy, I do. Would have been fun just to go and meet Howard.

I stopped by for a little while yesterday morning.

It was surreal, but it was a TREAT!!

I had to keep thinking if this wasn't 1976 instead of 2016! It had that feel.

Less than a dozen collectors in the room pouring through boxes of TV Guides, magazines, paperbacks, some comics AND, OH, together with an Action 1, Cap 1, Bat 1 and Wonder Woman 1 sitting under glass!!

All this taking place in a midtown Manhattan hotel on a Saturday. It sure was time machine worthy!

Howard and Mike Carbo sitting together at the entrance table with non-stop story after story (and, another 1976 feel - admission was FREE!!)

One down note was Howard relaying the news that his lovely wife Gail had passed recently. She was a BIG part of his business as well as his dad and mom (as someone noted prior). It truly was a family effort.

Kudos to Mike Carbo for recognizing the pioneers of the industry. Carbo may be a little quirky, but he has a big heart!

When Mike was taping down the glass case that contained the Action 1, I told him he should run out and get some tape dispensers and have Howard sign them! There was a gleam in Carbo's eye....