• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New podcast/video from Felix Comic Art (UPDATED 1/3/17!)
6 6

1,651 posts in this topic

Felix, I really enjoyed the latest interview.

I do have one criticism: there were a number of times Dave was speaking, and I wanted to hear what he had to say- but you cut him off to interject. And when he was trying to continue his thought, you would raise your voice to drown him out until he stopped talking. The podcast would be even more enjoyable allowing the guest to take center stage more.

Just my opinion. I do enjoy the show (and youtube videos).

Seconded. Only drawback to the show. Aside from a serious lack of Liefeld discussion;)

Don't worry, we go back to crapping on '90 art in a couple of episodes:P

Next two are in the can, I already let slip January's guest in this latest episode. Very happy to get that one done, I think you'll all enjoy the video, too.

Ironically, isn't Scott Williams part of "90s art" or does he get a pass???

You'll have to listen to find out!

During our discussion, Felix barely got "90's art is cr@p" out of his mouth before I body slammed him protecting my artistic lineage/heritage. Too bad camera's weren't rolling.

:jokealert:

Scott

I'd love a 90s art appreciation podcast

So would I. Although I have very little artwork from that period, I have a great fondness for it. While I understand that it's an easy target for "crapping on"; I wonder if the Felix Comic Art Podcast can look past their own prejudices and find the joy.

Scroll up two posts;)

Missed the post. doh! Look forward to it...and thanks.

Finishing up new podcast/video for this month, but have been meaning to post some non-OA pics from the Mandel collection. Namely, from his equally impressive movie prop collection. It's similar to the OA collection, representing the creme-de-la-creme. Here are just a few examples (all screen-used!):

Cy70JhDWEAAFuf4.jpg

CzF1ZYpVQAAt7Kf.jpg

CzL71m3UsAADR4F.jpg

CzL71ohVEAAtk12.jpg

A favorite of mine, that's tucked away in the corner of a spare room:

Cy7zj_3XEAEzB0e.jpg

This is the tip of the iceberg. The Hariri "Impossible Collection" is more like the "Very Nice Collection" next to this. This is the real Impossible Collection.

Finally broke down and jumped on the podcast bandwagon. (My commute was always so short, I never had the time to listen.) This was the first thing I downloaded.

As someone who can't get to a lot of cons, so I don't have the opportunity to "talk shop" with other collectors, this is the next best thing.

And those videos are great as well.

Keep it up, Felix!

Finishing up new podcast/video for this month, but have been meaning to post some non-OA pics from the Mandel collection. Namely, from his equally impressive movie prop collection. It's similar to the OA collection, representing the creme-de-la-creme. Here are just a few examples (all screen-used!):

Cy70JhDWEAAFuf4.jpg

CzF1ZYpVQAAt7Kf.jpg

CzL71m3UsAADR4F.jpg

CzL71ohVEAAtk12.jpg

A favorite of mine, that's tucked away in the corner of a spare room:

Cy7zj_3XEAEzB0e.jpg

This is the tip of the iceberg. The Hariri "Impossible Collection" is more like the "Very Nice Collection" next to this. This is the real Impossible Collection.

Outstanding!

The January episode of The Felix Comic Art Podcast is up! My guest is veteran superstar inker Scott Williams! The board's very own stinkininkin! Scott's a 30+ year collector of original art. Great stories and practical tips on collecting, this is one of my favorite epsiodes yet! Find it on iTunes or here:

http://felixcomicart.libsyn.com/

And here's Scott's show-and-tell video on our YouTube channel:

Really excited about 2017, thanks as always for your support!

Felix

www.felixcomicart.com

The January episode of The Felix Comic Art Podcast is up! My guest is veteran superstar inker Scott Williams! The board's very own stinkininkin! Scott's a 30+ year collector of original art. Great stories and practical tips on collecting, this is one of my favorite epsiodes yet! Find it on iTunes or here:

Felix

www.felixcomicart.com

Thanks for having me Felix. It was a pleasure, but I'm thinking of starting my own Felix Podcast-guest support thread. I can't stand listening to myself! Hoping others find my rambling to be entertaining or insightful in some way, and don't resort to yelling "GET TO THE POINT, DOOFUS!" as I found myself doing throughout!

Anyways, appreciate you advancing the hobby with these podcasts Felix! Keep em coming!

Scott

Felix

www.felixcomicart.com

Another great podcast, I was hoping you would have Scott as part of your series. He has an amazing collection and he is so focused. Years ago when I started my Collecting Comic Art panel at SDCC I had Scott and Tim Townsend. They had great perspectives on collecting OA from an artists point of view. I knew Scott would be a perfect guest for your series.

Scott has so much great art in his collection but was disappointed he didn't talk (or highlight them in the video) my two favorites Avengers #58 splash "Even an android can cry!" and the unpublished Frazetta.

Felic keep up the great work.

Felix

www.felixcomicart.com

Another great podcast, I was hoping you would have Scott as part of your series. He has an amazing collection and he is so focused. Years ago when I started my Collecting Comic Art panel at SDCC I had Scott and Tim Townsend. They had great perspectives on collecting OA from an artists point of view. I knew Scott would be a perfect guest for your series.

Scott has so much great art in his collection but was disappointed he didn't talk (or highlight them in the video) my two favorites Avengers #58 splash "Even an android can cry!" and the unpublished Frazetta]

Thanks Brian. I'll explain to you why I chose the art to show with a response to another friend collector who emailed me earlier...

'' I purposely chose pieces that were not quite the “trophy” calibre pieces I have in my collection, because I wanted to explain the magic of quality art that’s meaningful to me, regardless of rank or value. I’m happy that my passion came through clearly and I appreciate you telling me so!"

Having said that, it was hard to narrow down the choice to just 5!

Scott

Edited by stinkininkin

Felix

www.felixcomicart.com

Scott has so much great art in his collection but was disappointed he didn't talk (or highlight them in the video) my two favorites Avengers #58 splash "Even an android can cry!" and the unpublished Frazetta]

Thanks Brian. I'll explain to you why I chose the art to show with a response to another friend collector who emailed me earlier...

'' I purposely chose pieces that were not quite the “trophy” calibre pieces I have in my collection, because I wanted to explain the magic of quality art that’s meaningful to me, regardless of rank or value. I’m happy that my passion came through clearly and I appreciate you telling me so!"

Having said that, it was hard to narrow down the choice to just 5!

Scott

Next time Felix should blindfold the subject and have them randomly pick pieces from a stack of their collection. Then tell the story when I got the piece.

Great interview, especially in the sense that Scott talks about some stuff that we haven't heard in other Felix interviews. The part I'm left still thinking about is where Scott is in the contemplating being more hobby-oriented in retirement (when there's more free time) and why wouldn't he continue to collect comic art, his favorite hobby. And Felix mentions how his parents, both in their 70s, are still collecting art. Thus it's not a certainty that all collectors will slow down as they age, will largely or completely divest.

That gets me to: how does one stay active (forget about ramping up with the luxury of more free time) in an already rather expensive hobby, when one's disposable income stream drops to at or near zero? Are collectors willing to significantly step down their spending, increase their trading/selling, or something else to fill the gap (and still stay 'active')?

I kind of always assumed I'd mostly cash out, hopefully exiting ahead of the crowd too btw. But...what Scott said, sort of rings true for me too...it would be nice to keep at this -in a meaningful way- in perpetuity.

Another great podcast – I thoroughly enjoyed listening (even until 1:30 in the morning when I had to go back to work today for the first time in more than 2 weeks). I am fascinated to hear the artist collector and often wonder why more artists don’t collect art.

I also enjoyed Scott sentiment about collecting after retirement. This rings very true to me as that is how I think about things as well. If you look at art collecting from the investment lens as your primary filter, I suppose that cashing out is part of the equation all along. But I think there is a very large portion of collectors that do it primarily for enjoyment and don’t want to just say goodbye to the art after they retire and effectively remove an extremely enjoyable part of their lives from their daily routine.

Personally, I am sure I will shave my collection down and make sure my collection is well catalogued for my heirs to do as they deem appropriate but I have to think there is a good chance that I will still be enjoying a good bit if it until the end. Plus, I hope that my son develops and interest and I can pass it to him and his sisters.

41 minutes in and not a word about DKR. This podcast is a let down :baiting:

The early Boris Vallejo shout-out made up for it, though. :devil:

Great episode, really enjoyed this one! Except for the bagging on (accelerated) price discovery, which I think continues to be highly misunderstood (though, I like that a "Gene" reference seems to pop up in these podcasts almost as often as DKR references lol ).

One comment on aesthetics vs. nostalgia - it seems to me (and kind of is alluded to by Scott himself in the podcast), that Scott puts aesthetics first, BUT within his own personal band of nostalgia (which seems to be primarily late '60s to late '80s). Because surely there is a lot to appreciate aesthetically, especially from an artist's/inker's perspective, from earlier work that I don't recall being represented in Scott's collection. I'm thinking artists like Foster, Raymond, Fine, Raboy, Wood, Williamson, etc. - all unquestionably "artist's artists" from an earlier era. If it really was all about aesthetics uber alles, surely anyone would put some of these artists before, say, Buscema/Palmer (as good as that combination was).

At the end of the day, I really do believe that nostalgia plays a larger role than many believe. Even people who now collect things that they didn't grow up with (e.g., Golden Age comics or Modern OA, when they grew up with, say, Strikeforce: Morituri and Power Pack and Alpha Flight) - they may have evolved from what they first read and collected, but I think the thrill of discovery and appreciation of the medium all harkens back to memories/feelings/emotions that were cultivated in those early days, and that, in the end, it's STILL about nostalgia, even when it doesn't necessarily look like it on the surface. Just my 2c