• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How much original cover art survives from the Golden Age?

35 posts in this topic

My guess is about 1% of the Golden Age art from 1938-1945 exists across the board. I think most of the Harvey covers probably exist, but probably only 2-3 Timely covers.

That's along the lines of what I was thinking, take out EC and Harvey and the percentage is tiny, like 1% as you said or 2% say if you go through to 1955 but take out the few well represented publishers. People tend to bring up the same few pieces when the topic comes up 2c

In my travels while working on "Comics: Between the Panels" in the '90s, I had the good fortune to see the original art for Hit 17, Jungle 1 and Planet 1.
Berk?

No. As I noted in the book, Gil Fox found the Hit #17 cover in a garbage can.

Also this: Al Williamson told me he once walked into a room at King Features that was being re-painted, and realized the crew was using Hal Foster's original Prince Valiant pages to catch the excess paint. And Sam Moskowitz exited Hugo Gernsback's office late one night and discovered 13 Frank R. Paul originals, all framed, piled atop another garbage can. "Waiting for Saturday morning pickup," Moskowitz said.

Yes, he salvaged them all.

These are in the collection of James Halperin:

Action%2050_zpspdpjnc7c.jpg

Adventure%2073_zps14rmpuu7.jpg

Human%20Torch%2016_zpsetmisfbc.jpg

Detective%2067_zpsezlnoeif.jpg

Being a Schomburg guy, that Torch 16 cover just blows my mind. I was fortunate many years ago to see the Planet #1 cover when Redbeard owned it. Jon Berk owns it now. Jim Halperin also owns the cover to WSF #29. A masterpiece!

Edited by Robot Man

These are in the collection of James Halperin:

Action%2050_zpspdpjnc7c.jpg

Adventure%2073_zps14rmpuu7.jpg

Human%20Torch%2016_zpsetmisfbc.jpg

Detective%2067_zpsezlnoeif.jpg

Personally, I never really care much for all of the paste ups and white-outs that seem to show up on some of the original art covers. The one for the Torch 16 looks nice through. (thumbs u

To each, their own, I guess. (shrug)

Headline - missing a zero

Sentence 1 - grammar error.

Sentence 2 - almost usable just poorly written.

Sentence 3 - OK maybe this one is usable.

Sentence 4 - No period.

Sentence 5 - grammar, confusing possessive with plural

Sentence 6 - typo(?) --required??

Sentence 7 - fifth edition - poor choice of words that confuses reader.

Sentence 8 - missing a zero

Sentence 9 - this is sentence is OK, but in fairness, it is Richard's sentence, not the writer's lol

Sentence 10 - Its not a friggin' comic book!

:makepoint:

On 12/10/2016 at 11:57 AM, SteveDuin said:

No. As I noted in the book, Gil Fox found the Hit #17 cover in a garbage can.

Also this: Al Williamson told me he once walked into a room at King Features that was being re-painted, and realized the crew was using Hal Foster's original Prince Valiant pages to catch the excess paint. And Sam Moskowitz exited Hugo Gernsback's office late one night and discovered 13 Frank R. Paul originals, all framed, piled atop another garbage can. "Waiting for Saturday morning pickup," Moskowitz said.

Yes, he salvaged them all.

Given what even single panels from Foster's Valiant pages have been going for lately, those may have been the most expensive drop cloths in history!  :whatthe:

3 hours ago, Bronty said:

Sentence 9 - this sentence is OK, but in fairness, it is Richard's sentence, not the writer's lol

:acclaim: