• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are COOLING on EBAY...
1 1

568 posts in this topic

Glad to see the Alias #1 Marvel's Greatest Hits is back down to $10 an under. One shop I go to had about 50 of them in their dollar box, which I ignored because who the heck would want a reprint?

Same place had lots of copies of the Rocker Racoon mini in the dollar box right when RR was starting to pick up and I figured those would be worthless given the Rocket had a comic and magazine first appearance...who would want more of him?

Luckily I bought all their Toxic Avengers for the Sam Kieth covers...

There seems to be a little bit of a confusion between collectors and fans here

The target market for these key books IS the FAN market.

Those are the ones that want an IH 181 to frame on the wall, gift for their hubby, or a simply own an affordable copy. Today they will gladly pay up to $50 for a replica

if youre buying these to sell to collectors youre missing the big picture

If youre buying these to slab youre missing the big picture

If youre buying these thinking these will be "HTF 2nd print variants" youre missing the big picture

Ill prolly get 10-20 and sell them slowly for 10/pop within the next year

Glad to see the Alias #1 Marvel's Greatest Hits is back down to $10 an under. One shop I go to had about 50 of them in their dollar box, which I ignored because who the heck would want a reprint?

Same place had lots of copies of the Rocker Racoon mini in the dollar box right when RR was starting to pick up and I figured those would be worthless given the Rocket had a comic and magazine first appearance...who would want more of him?

Luckily I bought all their Toxic Avengers for the Sam Kieth covers...

I expect Alias to pick back up a little when things get rolling for the new season.

There is another one MGC that is creeping up right now. Should be a decent ROI for about two months.

All 2nd prints are "HTF", and were historically worthless. People have inverted logic these days where supply has become an inherent point of "value".

Demand is what drives value, supply is what demand is applied to, and value comes out of the relative supply availability to meet the demand.

When demand is created by the supply, or lack there of, "HTF 2nd prints, cBSi articles, only 500 printed, etc.", you are in tulip mania :)

Sound familiar? Limited edition color variants to boot :D

Synopsis: In 1593 tulips were brought from Turkey and introduced to the Dutch. The novelty of the new flower made it widely sought after and therefore fairly pricey. After a time, the tulips contracted a non-fatal virus known as mosaic, which didn't kill the tulip population but altered them causing "flames" of color to appear upon the petals. The color patterns came in a wide variety, increasing the rarity of an already unique flower. Thus, tulips, which were already selling at a premium, began to rise in price according to how their virus alterations were valued, or desired. Everyone began to deal in bulbs, essentially speculating on the tulip market, which was believed to have no limits.

The true bulb buyers (the garden centers of the past) began to fill up inventories for the growing season, depleting the supply further and increasing scarcity and demand. Soon, prices were rising so fast and high that people were trading their land, life savings, and anything else they could liquidate to get more tulip bulbs. Many Dutch persisted in believing they would sell their hoard to hapless and unenlightened foreigners, thereby reaping enormous profits. Somehow, the originally overpriced tulips enjoyed a twenty-fold increase in value - in one month!

Needless to say, the prices were not an accurate reflection of the value of a tulip bulb. As it happens in many speculative bubbles, some prudent people decided to sell and crystallize their profits. A domino effect of progressively lower and lower prices took place as everyone tried to sell while not many were buying. The price began to dive, causing people to panic and sell regardless of losses.

Dealers refused to honor contracts and people began to realize they traded their homes for a piece of greenery; panic and pandemonium were prevalent throughout the land. The government attempted to step in and halt the crash by offering to honor contracts at 10% of the face value, but then the market plunged even lower, making such restitution impossible. No one emerged unscathed from the crash. Even the people who had locked in their profit by getting out early suffered under the following depression.

Edited by CBT

For those on the true believer $1 kick, I just saw that a hulk #181 and wolverine #1 (frank miller) were just solicited. Expect the same thing to happen with these.

Not exactly... These 2 will be dead on arrival whereas there was good money on NM98 true believer when it hit since it was the 1st affordable replica of that book

I think the 181 could be a $5 bill just because of the cover replication. Wolverine #1 is still fairly affordable.

Just curious, why would anyone pay $5 for this when it can be had for $1 or less from LCS or online retailers such as Midtown? Or would the price increase occur after stock from normal sources have dried up?

I think that is the implication since many stores never order these to begin with. I know when the NM98 one came out at my LCS most of the employees didn't even know where it was being stocked, they were on spinner racks away from the normal new weekly stuff. That was the biggest store in a 40 mile radius and they only had about 5. Edited by 90sChild

There seems to be a little bit of a confusion between collectors and fans here

The target market for these key books IS the FAN market.

Those are the ones that want an IH 181 to frame on the wall, gift for their hubby, or a simply own an affordable copy. Today they will gladly pay up to $50 for a replica

if youre buying these to sell to collectors youre missing the big picture

If youre buying these to slab youre missing the big picture

If youre buying these thinking these will be "HTF 2nd print variants" youre missing the big picture

Ill prolly get 10-20 and sell them slowly for 10/pop within the next year

Yeah easy no brainer. I know collectors that display their cheap copy and put up the big money one. Its why several Marvel Legend copies sell well.

All 2nd prints are "HTF", and were historically worthless. People have inverted logic these days where supply has become an inherent point of "value".

Demand is what drives value, supply is what demand is applied to, and value comes out of the relative supply availability to meet the demand.

When demand is created by the supply, or lack there of, "HTF 2nd prints, cBSi articles, only 500 printed, etc.", you are in tulip mania :)

Sound familiar? Limited edition color variants to boot :D

The market is always right. So when a 2nd print sells consistently for more than the 1st, then the market has decided it is worth more. Demand and supply are concepts we apply to explain the ultimate truth that is the market.

The market is always right. So when a 2nd print sells consistently for more than the 1st, then the market has decided it is worth more. Demand and supply are concepts we apply to explain the ultimate truth that is the market.

"the market" isnt a thing on to itself, its just an aggregate of individual transactions. An aggregate in this case, that also includes fake transactions.

The "correctness" of "the market" is equally valid when books collapse in value. When one speaks about validity in value or price, relative to the market, its commentary or judgement on the stability or sustainability of a price.

When something is worthless, highly valuable, and then worthless again, "the market" was correct as always throughout the rise and fall, but observers watching that price action over time can also be "correct" in making commentary on that price action and whether it will return to the historical mean or not.

Supply and demand are not concepts applied to "the market", but the actual underlying cause of value. Demand being the driver or source of the value, supply relative to that demand being the determinate of what the value equates to.

Edited by CBT

Ummmmm...your really trying to make this "Rocket Science".

I think he's point is the "market" or "people" have spoken.

We are willing to pay premium for 2nd print books with a more limited print.

The books you are claiming were at one time not desirable.

There are many reasons why they have become so and why they once we're not. I feel no need to state the obvious.

If you think the "market" is suddenly going to reject these 2nd, 3rd, prints? Don't hold your breath.

Accept it and let it happen my friend.

Edited by Juice Head

There are many reasons why they have become so and why they once we're not. I feel no need to state the obvious.

If you think the "market" is suddenly going to reject these 2nd, 3rd, prints? Don't hold your breath.

Feels like a lot of new collectors being duped into buying something other than the original for more money. Lots of good salespeople pushing something formerly of little value into something of a novelty with a new and improved perception of value .Doubt it holds and it feels like the chromium/holographic push of yesteryear. 2c

Later printings being more valuable is not a new concept.

If you want to equate it to anything it would be the abundance of variants vs. their regular cover counterparts. The variants that have done well have better cover art and are a lot harder to find. There might be one cover a month that meets these requirements. This can be the best of both worlds for collectors.

The second and later printings that have done well, in most cases, also posses these qualities.

Modern collectors value rarity and cover art.

A review of this thread will prove that it's not something new and that collectors do hold value in these qualities.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=9303163#Post9303163

Been actively collecting and actually reading since 1985. Spending my lunch money at the local cigarette store to buy my 65 cent Marvels.

Now as a more mature collector? I value rarity...and good art.

I doubt "dooped" is the reality here.

BUT

Your reality is exactly that...your own.

You can live in any fantasy you wish and deny anything you choose.

Later printings being more valuable is not a new concept.

If you want to equate it to anything it would be the abundance of variants vs. their regular cover counterparts. The variants that have done well have better cover art and are a lot harder to find. There might be one cover a month that meets these requirements. This can be the best of both worlds for collectors.

The second and later printings that have done well, in most cases, also posses these qualities.

Modern collectors value rarity and cover art.

A review of this thread will prove that it's not something new and that collectors do hold value in these qualities.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=9303163#Post9303163

One book on the list is over 10 years old. Not a long track record by any means. Modern collectors collect all kinds of different things but stories are the glue that make them last.

I am not "claiming" anything. it doesn't take a Rocket Appliance to explain basic facts, concepts, and ideas.

I know when and where the book in question became valuable, because it happened on these boards and we all watched it occur.

2nd/3rd print, store variants, etc, CAN have value on their own, but when people think the "limited supply" or he "low print run" IS THE VALUE, they have gone off the rails and are being lead astray. When they dont realize that low supply plus artificial demand can create "fake" or unsustainable value, they make bad decisions.

For instance.....

Xena: Warrior Princess photo cover books have a small supply and low print run. They arent worth anything because no one cares. If Lucy Lawless had a new Xena movie coming out, they would suddenly be worth a lot more. If cBSi decided her photo covers were taken by a dead photographer who was married to the adopted son of Gabrielle Dell'Otto and J S Campbell, they could drive the price up even higher.

The supply of those worthless books hasnt changed. Dead photographer that produces amazing artistic photo covers, and a brand new Xena Trilogy have created DEMAND. The supply relative to the DEMAND, has created a NEW VALUE that is much higher than the long standing current value.

The people who are paying $1500 USD for a 9.8 Xena photo cover cause MUH HARD IN GRADE BLACK COVER, DURRR, could argue until they are blue in the face that the "market is always right", and that its a great investment....

But a year later when they are selling it for $34.99 + Free Shipping, they will learn that it was ARTIFICIAL DEMAND that drove their Xena Photocover to the moon, and that it doesnt matter how few were printed because everyone remembered that Xena sucks, and no one cares about the book anymore so the demand is gone.........

Been actively collecting and actually reading since 1985. Spending my lunch money at the local cigarette store to buy my 65 cent Marvels.

Now as a more mature collector? I value rarity...and good art.

I doubt "dooped" is the reality here.

BUT

Your reality is exactly that...your own.

You can live in any fantasy you wish and deny anything you choose.

As you are demonstrating. Your pointing to motor boat and acting as if it can turn the Titanic.