• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Books you just cant find in the Wild
22 22

4,477 posts in this topic

Yeah I can get it on ebay, but unless its in a pile I paid nothing for it defeats the purpose of this thread.

I thought this thread was about books you never see at all when you're out digging though boxes, not books you never see cheap or in 9.8 condition or whatever.

"i can't find a raw 9.8 of a $500 book in a dollar box" is indeed a weird qualifier here...well, it's a $500 book, a lot of those have been slabbed because it's a $500 book!

indeed, it is tough in 9.8..1/3 the census numbers of issue #1 despite #1 having a smaller print-run and #1 being barely worth slabbing (at current prices) and at current prices, if the 9.8s are out there, folks have an incentive to submit them (or sell them to people who do). the cover no doubt attracts slight damage as the number of 9.6s is 3X as big. it's not a book that was really "worthless" even after the valiant crash...certainly worth keeping in a bag with board even during the bad times.

I've found raw 9.8's of $200-$250 books in dollar bins, slabbed em and sold em. It happens

*(of course that's slabbed price, not raw price)

I'm sure you have, it's just not that surprising if you don't. also, this is a book that's worth something raw in 9.2 as well, so it's even harder to slip through the cracks. there are plenty of books that go for $250-$300 in 9.8 that are not books of any real value outside of a 9.8 / 9.6 slab and if you can snag the super nice copy in the wild... These are all books that my LCS and many dealers at shows would likely price at $1-$3, maybe $4, regardless of whether they were NM or NM/Mint. They are all books I have bought in NM in $1-$2 boxes and I don't think they were in the box because the seller didn't think they were sharp enough to slab, just that they were issues not worth considering slabbing in any condition:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/INCREDIBLE-HULK-345-CGC-9-8-WHITE-MCFARLANE-COVER-ART-HIGHEST-GRADED-COPY-/122178409299?hash=item1c72669353:g:fY8AAOSwpLNX~h8T

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SILVER-SURFER-Limited-Series-1-CGC-9-8-Moebius-cover-art-Exquisite-copy-/131977445328?hash=item1eba77ffd0:g:dBkAAOSwn7JYCYRm

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Superboy-231-CGC-9-8-1977-Legion-of-Super-Heroes-Highest-Grade-Fatal-Five-/301673077735?hash=item463d1ddbe7:g:KM0AAOSwyQtVjhWp

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MARVEL-TWO-IN-ONE-ANNUAL-7-CGC-9-8-THANOS-AVENGERS-INFINITY-WAR-MOVIE-KEY-ISSUE-/371732686268?hash=item568cfea5bc:g:yC4AAOSwRGlXp4cN

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Amazing-Spiderman-210-CGC-9-8-John-Romita-Jr-Madame-Web-free-shipping-/262714902944?hash=item3d2b0749a0:g:4cEAAOSw44BYK5d0

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Judge-Dredd-1983-Eagle-Quality-1-CGC-9-8-1360555014-/131936001688?hash=item1eb7ff9e98:g:7qoAAOSwMgdX1Z4Z

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WHAT-IF-105-CGC-9-8-1ST-APPEARANCE-OF-MAYDAY-PARKER-SPIDER-GIRL-WHITE-PAGES-/142156540823?hash=item211930ab97:g:LpAAAOSwzaJX9D6n

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WONDER-WOMAN-63-CGC-9-8-WP-SCARCE-IN-HIGH-GRADE-BOLLAND-1st-COVER-COMIC-KINGS-/162022093687?hash=item25b944f377%3Ag%3APWgAAOSwJQdW-ndq&nma=true&si=MWCRhdvf4M7KTm6zum%252BQIQzvOBc%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Conan-the-Barbarian-26-CGC-9-8-Rare-Early-Bronze-in-MT-Best-Copy-470-Value-/112190441283?hash=item1a1f124743:g:D1cAAOSw8w1X5Dqn

And seriously, if my shop got a perfect copy of this book he'd probably price it at 75-100% of guide and stick it up on the wall, and he'd be giving away $2700+ in the process apparently:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AMAZING-SPIDER-MAN-149-CGC-9-8-WHITE-PAGES-1ST-APPEARANCE-OF-SPIDER-MAN-CLONE-/332036001760?hash=item4d4ee34fe0:g:ZucAAOSwiONYLiAN

The problem with this list is that (for the most part) these books were just feeling lucky (enter Eastwood meme here). I can list you a bunch of non key books such as these that were 200-300 books in 9.8 at some point and today are around the 100.00 mark

Here are a few:

ASM annual 21, longshot 1, Spider-Woman 1 (1978), X-Factor 24

Sometime they can even end like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Incredible-Hulk-330-Todd-McFarlane-CGC-Graded-9-8-Near-Mint-Mint-Marvel-/331992671859?hash=item4d4c4e2673:g:8WYAAOSw9N1VyOoH

I was gonna say that Silver Surfer Moebius series is in cheap bins everywhere, I never even thought about getting my PC copies slabbed. Hmmmm

I did!

CzHMjZLWQAEPwjt.jpg

Unfortunately, it was before I learned about pressing! I plan on upgrading eventually but since these from my own collection I am in no particular hurry.

Yeah I can get it on ebay, but unless its in a pile I paid nothing for it defeats the purpose of this thread.

I thought this thread was about books you never see at all when you're out digging though boxes, not books you never see cheap or in 9.8 condition or whatever.

Yeah, I didn't think this was a "$100+ books you just never seem to be able to find in a dollar box" thread.

I am not sure I follow. 9.8 books haven't been discussed in here until Blob came in. I just let that topic run till it was done. 60 pages in a side discussion doesn't bother me.

I wouldn't have a problem with someone buying a rare book in a pile of books on ebay that was hidden or just everyone missed. Its pretty much the same thing only the buyer found a hidden gem a different way?

As long as the discussion follows around rare books that are tough to find there should be some flexibility I would think.

So far I think this thread has been very beneficial regardless of some of the hate mail I got for it. It brings out books to market many have been looking for and opens economic venues for all of us for books we have either passed up or didn't know about.

Years back this was what Moderns Heating up used to be about before influx of new hobbyists. It will eventually even out again when they leave.

Edited by Fastballspecial

Years back this was what Moderns Heating up used to be about before influx of new hobbyists. It will eventually even out again when they leave.

yup, there has been a depressed environment because no one really wants to talk about books they think are rare, heating up, or hard to find, because there are more than enough on here that will surge buy anything mentioned and make it even harder.

I am not sure I follow. 9.8 books haven't been discussed in here until Blob came in. I just let that topic run till it was done. 60 pages in a side discussion doesn't bother me.

I wouldn't have a problem with someone buying a rare book in a pile of books on ebay that was hidden or just everyone missed. Its pretty much the same thing only the buyer found a hidden gem a different way?

As long as the discussion follows around rare books that are tough to find there should be some flexibility I would think.

So far I think this thread has been very beneficial regardless of some of the hate mail I got for it. It brings out books to market many have been looking for and opens economic venues for all of us for books we have either passed up or didn't know about.

It's just that I never see a Hulk 181 in a dollar box or at a yard sale, but I see plenty of them as dealer wall books.

---

My point was that "I never find that raw in 9.8..." is kind of a deviation from this thread when we're talking about otherwise common books. Finding a raw 9.8 is hard enough from inventory that has been looked at.

Nowwww, if it's "you just never find those raw above 9.0" and, indeed, the census shows there are hardly any of them, I probably feel different.

It's just that I never see a Hulk 181 in a dollar box or at a yard sale, but I see plenty of them as dealer wall books.

It happened in Philly at the Punk Rock Flea market a few years ago. Hulk 181 for $1. I didn't get it but heard about it from a few friends who had just missed it

thanks. i have never seen that one, but I have never looked for it in particular. i'd like to think the neil gaiman would have alerted me. there are about 25 on ebay right now, but they say it is a low print run issue, so I'm sure that's it...(why the F would they short print a gaiman book?)

my guess is that gaiman fans, not necessarily comic folks, scooped these up as it is fairly early gaiman, so when it came out and in the early 90s he did not have much other than sandman to buy? so these are sitting in the closets of a bunch of women in their late 30s?

-- I say that because in like 1996/7 or so I had a table at a very small show done at an elementary school in manhattan...only 5 dealers had tables... the show was to raise money for the school (I think I gave them 25% of what i made selling) and one of the moms on the PTA had some comic world connections. she managed to get chris claremont and neil gaiman to show up to sign. lines were out the door for gaiman. teenage girls. claremont was much shorter. john byrne was also supposed to come, but he had a problem with his flight or something. i had claremont sign a copy of Power Man/Iron Fist 48.. he had almost forgotten he wrote it and was shocked when I handed it to him because everyone else was handing him x-men.

can you imagine gaiman or claremont coming to NYC for something like this now for free? They must have owed her big time for something. (gaiman maybe lived in nyc at the time, but i don't think claremont did)

OK heres one that never gets mention here.. Not HUGE but I can never find one in the market... Even though I found a few #1s around

s_l1600.jpg

Never found one, either.

I got an estate collection with a run of Hellblazer and sure enough 27 was missing. It is how I learned it was more valuable! That was a collection of fairly complete storylines & titles, so I was really surprised that 27 was gone.

Do "modern price variants" qualify? I'm asking before I open my big mouth lol.

I shop local comic shops and bookstores in the whole tristate area. Never eBay!

I know of a book that I have literally never seen in a shop. Ive specifically looked everyplace that I go. Including locations in Florida and down south.

There is literally only one book I have never found and I only have because I had purchased it when it came out on the newstand (only 5 issues were ordered for the store). I work there part time and that why I know.

Is everybody ready for THE BIG REVEAL? ??