• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
70 70

63,755 posts in this topic

I scooped up a few extra Slapstick, Solo, and Foolkiller 1st appearances cheap because you never know. I've been a Foolkiller collector for years anyway and I like all 4 versions of the character for different reasons but one can never have too many Omega The Unknown #9s in the box

So did this guy:

Bought

Offered

Paying that much for an OTU #9 in 8.0 is not only not very bright, it's just plain stupid.

Especially when a 9.6 is well...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Omega-the-Unknown-9-CGC-9-6-first-appearance-2nd-Foolkiller-/222336613040?hash=item33c44b7ab0:g:5eQAAOSwB09YJNkS

Edit: Never mind, didn't notice it was the price variant. But still in that grade? Hmmmm

Edited by Lonzilla

This book went from a $28 CGC 9.8 in September to a $4.77 raw book on December 4th to a $49 book today.

Ebay sales of the 1:25 variant

Cool cover for sure and the rise was likely inspired by this news/article.

Comicbookinvest article

There were 13 issues for around $17 available at Midtown in NM condition. There are now 0 issues available. Real or hype ? Worth more than a Batman #655 ?

There's now a BIN for about the price of the high auction, so if they want it, it's there. If multiples bid it up past that BIN, it will become fishy.

Agreed!

The BIN was reduced to below what the two bidders bid up to on the auction. One of them got it obviously. But the BIN is still sitting there. So...

This book went from a $28 CGC 9.8 in September to a $4.77 raw book on December 4th to a $49 book today.

Comicbookinvest article

There were 13 issues for around $17 available at Midtown in NM condition. There are now 0 issues available. Real or hype ? Worth more than a Batman #655 ?

With a few hundred lemmings on books with less than 50 floating around online as available books, anything can be jacked up. Especially when individual people are willing to buy 20 at once.

Basically, the Image #1 craze started with a few books being hyped up and only a few people making easy money off them. Saga, Fatale, Revival, etc. Copies of books no one cared about could be dug up in back stock at LCS's, and sold online for a quick flip.

Then a larger group of people saw this and wanted to join in, so things went to the next level. Bedlam, Nowhere Men, East of West, etc. People started using things like DCBS to order 20,50,100, 1000 copies of books. Quickly, so many people were doing the same thing that it collapsed.

So then next it became about chasing artists and writers, secondary companies like Avatar Press, Black Mask, etc. People moving to harder to get books to pump up until again too many people doing the same thing and they collapsed as well.

the dregs of these useless, uninformed, aggressive flippers, band together to form a google group to help guess and share what might be next. Feeling important and thinking they have "secret" advanced knowledge their little group grows over time.

Eventually the group itself is large enough that you get a pyramid effect, where they can pick a book and have enough lemmings relative to copies available to become "self-fulfilling".

Now they segway that with the few minor contacts they have as comic book store clerks, convention workers, and small LCS's to front cash and get hyped up artists to produce store variants they can pimp to their Pyramid Scheme.

Direct line from the Image #1 chasing, DCBS alternate comics ordering, Variant pimping, Self-published variant producing, speculators.:

I think cBSi actually stands for, "Cancelled Bedlam, Shilling Instead"

why did you have 40 copies?

You get a lot of multiples of 90s books when you buy a 70 long box collection of all 90s drek. I think I've still got a handful of Slapstick 1 sitting around so its not all bad.

Nick Spencer's arrogance and douchebaggery is what cancelled Bedlam lol

lol, i meant they cancelled their subscriptions once they couldnt flip it anymore, bedlam being the inflection point of collectors/speculators, but yes, well said :)

You get a lot of multiples of 90s books when you buy a 70 long box collection of all 90s drek. I think I've still got a handful of Slapstick 1 sitting around so its not all bad.

wasnt judging, just an unusual book to have so many of. I've bought a few 90s collections over the years but never one that big. That's not really a collection so much as former LCS/warehouse stock wouldnt it be? 70 long boxes is big :)

Nick Spencer's arrogance and douchebaggery is what cancelled Bedlam lol

lol, i meant they cancelled their subscriptions once they couldnt flip it anymore, bedlam being the inflection point of collectors/speculators, but yes, well said :)

Rossmo leaving the book, endless delays after Rossmo left the book, exclusive variant price gouging by the shyster who put out the variants, Spencer coming on here and saying "nobody owes you x amount of issues within x amount of time" or whatever his diaper filled tantrum was, all factored in.

But I got what you were saying

There's now a BIN for about the price of the high auction, so if they want it, it's there. If multiples bid it up past that BIN, it will become fishy.

Agreed!

The BIN was reduced to below what the two bidders bid up to on the auction. One of them got it obviously. But the BIN is still sitting there. So...

There are two BIN OBO (the cheapest listed at $700 OBO) listed. There is also an auction currently at $500. I don't know that this tells us anything. Why would a buyer (assume the 2nd highest bidder on the 1st auction) pay for a BIN when the price is currently higher than the auction price?

I would also expect the next copy to sell to be quite a bit lower than the first copy in question.

Agreed!

There are two BIN OBO (the cheapest listed at $700 OBO) listed. There is also an auction currently at $500. I don't know that this tells us anything. Why would a buyer (assume the 2nd highest bidder on the 1st auction) pay for a BIN when the price is currently higher than the auction price?

I would also expect the next copy to sell to be quite a bit lower than the first copy in question.

The next copy to sell may very well be the same copy that "sold" for $880

Agreed!

Yes, I agree. He mine as well wait and see how that plays out before dropping the cash on the BIN. Although, sometimes people with those kind of disposable funds get antsy and just want the book.

Edited by ygogolak

Comicbookinvest article

With a few hundred lemmings on books with less than 50 floating around online as available books, anything can be jacked up. Especially when individual people are willing to buy 20 at once.

Basically, the Image #1 craze started with a few books being hyped up and only a few people making easy money off them. Saga, Fatale, Revival, etc. Copies of books no one cared about could be dug up in back stock at LCS's, and sold online for a quick flip.

Then a larger group of people saw this and wanted to join in, so things went to the next level. Bedlam, Nowhere Men, East of West, etc. People started using things like DCBS to order 20,50,100, 1000 copies of books. Quickly, so many people were doing the same thing that it collapsed.

So then next it became about chasing artists and writers, secondary companies like Avatar Press, Black Mask, etc. People moving to harder to get books to pump up until again too many people doing the same thing and they collapsed as well.

the dregs of these useless, uninformed, aggressive flippers, band together to form a google group to help guess and share what might be next. Feeling important and thinking they have "secret" advanced knowledge their little group grows over time.

Eventually the group itself is large enough that you get a pyramid effect, where they can pick a book and have enough lemmings relative to copies available to become "self-fulfilling".

Now they segway that with the few minor contacts they have as comic book store clerks, convention workers, and small LCS's to front cash and get hyped up artists to produce store variants they can pimp to their Pyramid Scheme.

Direct line from the Image #1 chasing, DCBS alternate comics ordering, Variant pimping, Self-published variant producing, speculators.:

I think cBSi actually stands for, "Cancelled Bedlam, Shilling Instead"

You are certainly on a roll lately. Having some tough times? Go enjoy the time with your amazing Wife! :banana:

Agreed!

The next copy to sell may very well be the same copy that "sold" for $880

Could be. Until I see positive feedback left, it is hard to say.

wasnt judging, just an unusual book to have so many of. I've bought a few 90s collections over the years but never one that big. That's not really a collection so much as former LCS/warehouse stock wouldnt it be? 70 long boxes is big :)

I think it was overstock for a comic store. The guy obviously went in big and lost big during the 90s based on the boxes and boxes of Valiant and Malibu books. I bough 70 long boxes and passed on another 30 long boxes and the guy had been selling off boxes for awhile.

I might have 70 long boxes (except I prefer magazines and shorties). I'd rather not think about it.

Edited by the blob

You are certainly on a roll lately. Having some tough times? Go enjoy the time with your amazing Wife! :banana:

Not sure what you mean by tough times?

I think you mean because I am posting a lot all of a sudden? I sorted(am sorting) my comics room and it got me out of lurking and back to posting, but I have been here for over a decade remember ;) . I lurked for years and years before finally buying slabbed comics regularly and signing up to speak. How much I post or dont post is not related to the kind of times I am having :D

Calling out the cBSi shilling and pyramid scheme just occurred organically from being active again and seeing all the nonsense being peddled on here.

Had I not been less active as a poster for the last year plus, I am sure I would have been saying the same thing a year ago or more.

Honestly, even without the cBSi schiesters, The "Heating up on Ebay" thread and I have a go at each other about every 6 months anyway. Clearly its just that I had a couple built up from being AFK for so long ;)

Edit-

Agreed, She is Amazing :banana:

Edited by CBT