• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How much original cover art survives from the Golden Age?

35 posts in this topic

It depends. In the vast majority of cases the art doesn't exist but there are publishers who saved their art so it is possible, for example, to find quite a few EC or Harvey covers from the 1950s.

It depends. In the vast majority of cases the art doesn't exist but there are publishers who saved their art so it is possible, for example, to find quite a few EC or Harvey covers from the 1950s.

As I recall, there are some extremely rare early GA classic covers in Jon Berk's collection (several Lou Fine HITS from Quality and Schomburg war covers from Harvey if I'm not mistaken). But you're right, a lot of classic GA cover art has gone missing, probably disposed of without much thought by publishers of that era.

As I recall, there are some extremely rare early GA classic covers in Jon Berk's collection (several Lou Fine HITS from Quality and Schomburg war covers from Harvey if I'm not mistaken). But you're right, a lot of classic GA cover art has gone missing, probably disposed of without much thought by publishers of that era.

My guess is that there is probably more than we think, but it is squirrelled away in the Heavy Hitter private collections. I think it will undoubtedly reach the markets one day but price wise it will be completely unattainable unless you are millionaire status.

It's great art of important historical significance and that's never really available to the common man or woman in a financial sense. Some of the really great comic art will reach Van Gogh proportions in the future IMO...if it still exists. 2c

My guess is that there is probably more than we think, but it is squirrelled away in the Heavy Hitter private collections. I think it will undoubtedly reach the markets one day but price wise it will be completely unattainable unless you are millionaire status.

It's great art of important historical significance and that's never really available to the common man or woman in a financial sense. Some of the really great comic art will reach Van Gogh proportions in the future IMO...if it still exists. 2c

I'm on the other side of the fence and generally believe that very little exists and as someone said above, varies by publisher with EC and Harvey being by far the best represented

Jerry Robinson kept some of his and Fred Ray's covers and were auctioned off a few years ago. Then there's the Action 15 cover.

action15cover.jpg

The Detective 62 cover is in a private collection and will never be for sale.

I owned the Jungle 1 cover back in the mid 1970s.

There are a couple All-Star covers I've owned, as well as Crandall Blackhawk covers.

There are quite a few GA covers, but many are in private collections now. Who knows if they ever will be sold.

MI

The Detective 62 cover is in a private collection and will never be for sale.

I owned the Jungle 1 cover back in the mid 1970s.

There are a couple All-Star covers I've owned, as well as Crandall Blackhawk covers.

There are quite a few GA covers, but many are in private collections now. Who knows if they ever will be sold.

MI

Very true. The same can be said of rarer pulp cover paintings and recreations of highly desirable GA cover art by the original artists. Some occasionally pop-up, but many end-up in private collections.