• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is theartistschoice doing a sale again this year?

92 posts in this topic

Visit the website and you'll see:

NOTE: The Artist's Choice will be closed until Wednesday, December 14, 2016

So, I'd imagine a sale may start on Monday, December 19 through the end of the year if I had to speculate. A pure guess on my part, as I've not heard anything personally.

The only problem I see for repeat customers is that the website hasn't been updated with the same frequency it use to in the past, even last year's 2015 sale seemed to have the same inventory as featured in 2014, with very little added, and now in 2016, it's pretty much the same, so odds are, if you didn't find anything in 2014, there might not be much more in 2016, two years later that's been added that might be on sale... but it doesn't hurt to look and only costs you time to browse.

Hopefully the % discounts may be higher on certain artists to motivate moving inventory and selling product that's been sitting a while to rotate 'em out into the hands of collectors.

Thanks for the answer Rick! I do hope he does it as I've kind of skipped things he's had up for a while that I may actually want at the right discount.

So, I'd imagine a sale may start on Monday, December 19 through the end of the year if I had to speculate. A pure guess on my part, as I've not heard anything personally.

The only problem I see for repeat customers is that the website hasn't been updated with the same frequency it use to in the past, even last year's 2015 sale seemed to have the same inventory as featured in 2014, with very little added, and now in 2016, it's pretty much the same, so odds are, if you didn't find anything in 2014, there might not be much more in 2016, two years later that's been added that might be on sale... but it doesn't hurt to look and only costs you time to browse.

Hopefully the % discounts may be higher on certain artists to motivate moving inventory and selling product that's been sitting a while to rotate 'em out into the hands of collectors.

I don't have any insider info but he has had a sale every year for over a decade (maybe even 2, except that would be before my time) so it's same to assume he will have one.

Just stay clear of stuff i am eyeing... :)

Malvin

I'm assuming they'll have a sale as well. However, I asked about a lot of pages last year, and all of them were not available. It does seem like the website isn't updated very frequently when a page is sold. I recently bought a page from one of the artists at a comic con, and noticed that it was still listed on The Artists Choice website...so, maybe some pieces that are listed are still in the hands of the artist. However, I'm still looking forward to their sale.

I've found dealing with the site too problematic as it is rarely updated . I had the same problem for a few years (things I wanted were unavailable) and finally gave up .

Spencer is quick to remind his customers of his "Rules" because his time is important but I think he would do well to remember his customer's time is important also.

Having said that ,you can really get some good deals if you have the patience to wade through all of this .

I believe he's at a convention down in Florida this weekend set up and selling art. So I don't know what his timing is to have a sale when he gets back.

I'm assuming they'll have a sale as well. However, I asked about a lot of pages last year, and all of them were not available. It does seem like the website isn't updated very frequently when a page is sold. I recently bought a page from one of the artists at a comic con, and noticed that it was still listed on The Artists Choice website...so, maybe some pieces that are listed are still in the hands of the artist. However, I'm still looking forward to their sale.

Heh, that's part of the fun! There are pages that I bought many sales ago that are still up. Sometimes even I forget that I already bought the page :)

Malvin

As has been noted, the message on the site says it's closed until 12/14, so I'll start checking it regularly that morning until it probably actually goes live the following week. I've already got a list of pages I'm interested in, but as in past years, have prepared myself for the eventuality that they are probably long sold. Maybe he'll roll out a totally refreshed site with up to date stock when the sale hits? I can dream, can't I?

FYI, been clicking around a bit on the site, and while everything isn't updated obviously, there are several of the individual artist pages that were updated as recently as last week, many are 12/1 or around 11/29. So, may be worth poking around.

My problem is not the content of pages, but that there are so many items with no scans.

Or there is a link that leads to nothing ?

Will that be fixed prior to the sale ?

Doubt it, though that'd be nice. I treat the whole thing like a treasure hunt; might turn out to be a wild goose chase, but I enjoy the dig.

My problem is not the content of pages, but that there are so many items with no scans.

Well, you can always do business with reps who don't do such things, and are currently holding a Christmas sale on many pieces of original art, like myself. :)

But don't take my word for it, see for yourself:

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=3287

Well, you can always do business with reps who don't do such things, and are currently holding a Christmas sale on many pieces of original art, like myself. :)

I think all reps should limit themselves to a few hundred pages and a handful of creators. It makes inventory updating a breeze for them and it makes my browsing experience as quick and easy as possible.

Seeing the work of almost 80 artists and tens of thousands of pieces of artwork on one site is like a trek through the desert in comparison.

I think all reps should limit themselves to a few hundred pages and a handful of creators. It makes inventory updating a breeze for them and it makes my browsing experience as quick and easy as possible.

Seeing the work of almost 80 artists and tens of thousands of pieces of artwork on one site is like a trek through the desert in comparison.

Plus there is no way to search for artwork and many scans are missing.

Oh, I quite agree with all you said. It's why I'll never work with more than 10 to 12 artists, at most. It just becomes to unwieldy to handle more than that, especially if you are a one-man operation (as I am). Keep enough artists to have regular updates, but not so many that you can't keep up with them. Pretty easy rule of thumb, IMO.

Also, never post art you don't have yet, nor leave up art you no longer do. I know buyers hate to inquire about something, only to be told it is no longer available or not quite so yet.