• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Infinite Marvel Picture Frame books
21 21

4,764 posts in this topic

A-100_9-6.jpg

First Avengers ish that I bought off the rack. From the terrific Barry Smith art, including the opening splash page of the Black Knight aboard an airborne Aragorn, to the Roy Thomas story line involving every hero who was ever an Avenger (and his pointed statement about the space program being reduced to 'games of gratuitous golf'), I was hooked. Still am.

:cloud9:

A-100_9-6.jpg

First Avengers ish that I bought off the rack. From the terrific Barry Smith art, including the opening splash page of the Black Knight aboard an airborne Aragorn, to the Roy Thomas story line involving every hero who was ever an Avenger (and his pointed statement about the space program being reduced to 'games of gratuitous golf'), I was hooked. Still am.

:cloud9:

As a kid, I didn't get Smith's work on these later issues. I was puzzled by it. It looked weird and completely foreign from his stuff in #66-67. And boy was I fascinated by the art in those earlier books! I stared at and studied the illustrations for hours. Even went as far as copying the work in my own attempts at trying to draw the Marvel way.

I get it now. I understand the reason for the earlier Smith work looking the way it does. And I've come to appreciate the later stuff in his style. But issues #66-67 remain special. Always have, always will.

Since you mentioned it. A visual splash from #100...

A-100_splash.jpg

Cool books! That Hulk date stamp is 3 months before the publication month. Whereas the FF#121 posted earlier was one and a half months. Interesting. hm

I dunno, I thought they were usually 2-3 months prior. They are mostly in really nice shape, but not slab worthy without a press. IMHO the 201 is an overlooked one .. a lot of those this have minor first apps in them

I suspect that Incredible Hulk was among the first comics printed and released each month. It could explain why the title is the only one still sporting a picture frame cover with a January, 1973 cover date, when all other titles ended the practice with December, 1972 cover dates. It also may explain why the arrival date on the Hulk#157 is so far ahead of the cover date, compared to another title like the FF.

Glad they finally got there, Thomas!

(FedEx had a hiccup and they were M.I.A. for about 5 days - 5 very kind of distressing days. I know they're just comic books, but still.)

I was optimistic and they were worth the wait :grin:

Glad they finally got there, Thomas!

(FedEx had a hiccup and they were M.I.A. for about 5 days - 5 very kind of distressing days. I know they're just comic books, but still.)

You sold some PF's ???:ohnoez:

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say undercopies.

Jim