• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,730 posts in this topic

These books seem to do pretty well so why are they illegitimate books?

I don't think most people care that these are sold and made by the creator. The only people who might care are the store owners who can't easily get their hands on more manufactured collectibles . I just don't see any book produced in this way as illegitimate.

They arent illegitimate "books", and all variants, store or other wise "exist" clearly. But people pushing them on here need to be upfront when they are store variants or not.

Ultimately the market decides, as with any collectible, but store variants have a long track record of not being accepted in the market as equivalent to publisher produced variants.

Hence, transparency, people need to say when something is a store variant. If they can market their store variants successfully that they retain value, great.

But that's not what is happening with the ones being debated. They are being pushed on the merits of their "low print run", while the store variant nature of them is being ignored, suppressed, or out right hidden. Unacceptable.

" They are being pushed on the merits of their "low print run", while the store variant nature of them is being ignored, suppressed, or out right hidden. Unacceptable."

Fair enough, I definitely agree that people should properly describe what they are selling.

Here I thought this thread couldn't get worse.

there's very few things that can't get worse. Just the Cleveland Browns, that's it.

Anytime someone is selling with the combined points of low press run and high grade, that is by default looking to tap into the investor market. They are pushing the exact same things people are attempting to stress with ratio covers. That scarcity plus a 9.8 equals money in the bank. The difference is that a publisher variant has a much better track record of increasing in value (not that it is a good one) than a store variant specifically created to be "rare".

Anytime someone is selling with the combined points of low press run and high grade, that is by default looking to tap into the investor market. They are pushing the exact same things people are attempting to stress with ratio covers. That scarcity plus a 9.8 equals money in the bank. The difference is that a publisher variant has a much better track record of increasing in value (not that it is a good one) than a store variant specifically created to be "rare".

+1

I like this discussion and where it's headed......

But why not create a new thread for it....?

What thread? You really want a thread where a couple of blowhards tell you, based on their opinions & collecting interests, what variants are real and which ones aren't???

+1

:whee:

http://comicbookinvest.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=546&start=70

:roflmao:

Nice list Yani :grin:

Those He-Man action variants (I got both) are both tough ones. Just saying

I like this discussion and where it's headed......

But why not create a new thread for it....?

What thread? You really want a thread where a couple of blowhards tell you, based on their opinions & collecting interests, what variants are real and which ones aren't???

+1

:whee:

http://comicbookinvest.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=546&start=70

:roflmao:

Nice list Yani :grin:

Those He-Man action variants (I got both) are both tough ones. Just saying

As is documented, I noted on Nov. 23 the Fearless Defenders variant. Two weeks ago. It was then listed in the CBSI top 10 on Nov. 26. Since then, one copy has surfaced for sale.

BTW,

They are pimping Kate Bishop now, annoying cause again the spec train is looking at things I have collected for years. Expect to see some serious shilling on these books starting the day they published the article.

Good, maybe I can finally get more than $10 for a Young Avengers #1

I think this whole discussion of what is and what isn't a 'legitimate' variant is amusing.

All I know is years from now, it is the books that were shunned that will be the ones with value. Subsequent printings anyone?

lol, quite likely. Non-#1s, too. Most probably because they'll be a person_without_enough_empathy to find particularly in high grade. While first print #1s are likely to get the Mylar treatment or even slabbing, I highly doubt subsequent printings are well taken cared of. Typical atrophy also means lower print numbers on later issues.

BTW,

They are pimping Kate Bishop now, annoying cause again the spec train is looking at things I have collected for years. Expect to see some serious shilling on these books starting the day they published the article.

That book is funny in NM+ I can easily get $20-25 for several months then recently it went down quite a bit. I look for it to recover due to too many 1st app in the book. This being said I have bought several copies of this book and been actively buying it for 2 years.

I shunned the Wizard copy passing on several copies 2 years back. :cry:

Edited by Fastballspecial

BTW,

That book is funny in NM+ I can easily get $20-25 for several months then recently it went down quite a bit. I look for it to recover due to too many 1st app in the book. This being said I have bought several copies of this book and been actively buying it for 2 years.

I shunned the Wizard copy passing on several copies 2 years back. :cry:

yup, was a watcher on them in 9.8 for ages, they would not sell for a long long time. Once people started to sniff spec hype on them, they started to sell.

Here I thought this thread couldn't get worse.

there's very few things that can't get worse. Just the Cleveland Browns, that's it.

Until the Pats

trade them Garoppolo.

Edited by MrWeen

Back on topic seems to be very hot Doctor Aphra #1 black and white store variant. Sales ranging from $30 to $120 with a mean price somewhere around $45. These prices are all over the place, but no question it is hot.

Back on topic seems to be very hot Doctor Aphra #1 black and white store variant. Sales ranging from $30 to $120 with a mean price somewhere around $45. These prices are all over the place, but no question it is hot.

Book just came out today ! Geesh

I give it a few weeks and then look at the sales data.