• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The X-23 Thread
2 2

321 posts in this topic

Again, you have been asked before and have still to prove anything about creating a shell game.

http://comicbookinvest.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=546&start=70

I proved that Noto variant was dirt cheap when people were trying to push it, like you on the cBSi forums, and in the heating up thread here.

I also, in this thread, to stay on topic. Informed people this X-23 cover swipe of IH181 was a cBSi sponsored store variant, which no one else was mentioning in this thread.

Given how active you are there, you could have done it, but I dont mind letting people know.

Edited by CBT

Again, you have been asked before and have still to prove anything about creating a shell game.

http://comicbookinvest.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=546&start=70

I proved that Noto variant was dirt cheap when people were trying to push it, like you on the cBSi forums, and in the heating up thread here.

I also, in this thread, to stay on topic. Informed people this X-23 cover swipe of IH181 was a cBSi sponsored store variant, which no one else was mentioning in this thread.

Given how active you are there, you could have done it, but I dont mind letting people know.

What exactly did you prove? My market watch is reporting trends on SOLD items. And yet, here we are, you making accusations of something different.

Again, how is the Hall of Comics a "sponsored store variant". Again, is Heritage a "sponsored store" because they have an ad on the CGC forums?

I could have mentioned the IH181, yes, as I receive their email updates.. But I'm not on here to give free advertising for retailers.

What exactly did you prove? My market watch is reporting trends on SOLD items. And yet, here we are, you making accusations of something different.

Again, how is the Hall of Comics a "sponsored store variant". Again, is Heritage a "sponsored store" because they have an ad on the CGC forums?

I could have mentioned the IH181, yes, as I receive their email updates.. But I'm not on here to give free advertising for retailers.

Go to the cBSi website, click "cBSi Stores", scroll down and find the producer of the store variant.....

https://shops.comicbookinvest.com/

Pretty sure Heritage, if they even have store variants, isnt found under a "CGC Forum Stores" link on this site....

PS -

In terms of you and your strong ties to cBSi, its not about proving something, as I said earlier, I am fine with people selling anything they want, its transparency that is the issue. When you post stuff about cBSi, or attack me for objecting to some of cBSi's content or opinions, you running a market watch thread on their forums means you arent exactly an unbiased observer.

Edited by CBT

I have NEVER "attacked" you. I have simply asked you to prove your accusations. I never said the Noto variant was valuable. I simply said I liked it. I even recently tried to sell it on here. Before I posted about it on the other site.

Heritage sells a lot of CGC books. So yes, there is a bias and direct correlation.

I have been a member here and cbsi for a long time and do not see them "pumping and dumping" bit when a book is mentioned or suggested, it happens to be put on people's radar and bam they fly off the shelves.

Most people are just looking for the next hot comic and thankfully have a place to share great cover art, short printed/rare comics and other ideas.

I. Gratefully to have found both sites.

I have been a member here and cbsi for a long time and do not see them "pumping and dumping" bit when a book is mentioned or suggested, it happens to be put on people's radar and bam they fly off the shelves.

Most people are just looking for the next hot comic and thankfully have a place to share great cover art, short printed/rare comics and other ideas.

Agreed on the effect. Books featured on CBSI tend to become really hot (at least for the short term). Somewhat annoying when it's a series I'm collecting since the sudden feeding frenzy tends to drive up prices.

Badmouth one site specifically that has done nothing wrong.

Except market manipulation for years.

^^

I have been mostly absent for the last two years, or I would have been on about it the whole time. It's like a rot that has taken over the Modern Boards. It needs to have the light shone on it, and cleaned up and cleared out.

Most of the people using the site are good folks, just hunting for hot comics and hoping to get in before prices go up. Obviously no one is against comic discussion, or genuinely seeking out heating up comics.

The problem is a lot of the good folks just dont/didnt realize that there are also a lot of scumbags & crooks at the top of it pushing a pyramid scheme and trying to manipulate prices on ebay for personal gain.

The way people do this is very obvious.

1. List a book on ebay (or several) then shill it to create a price spike. Initially the premium only needs to be $5 to $10 over historic values.

2. Get an investing site to list a book as getting hot.

3. Post on the CGC boards a book is heating up.

4. If done right it starts feeding on itself. People who own the books list them. The people who started the shill list them, and people reading the book is hot buy it.

The saddest thing is I really want to know which books are truly worth it, and these practices really cloud the picture. I do not know what percentage of hot books are created heat vs real heat.

The storemail variants potentially add another wrinkle to this progression. A store copy gets hots by putting out a nice cover and selling out. People who wanted that cover but failed to get one pay an inflated aftermarket price, and the same pattern developes.

Edited by drotto

The way people do this is very obvious.

1. List a book on ebay (or several) then shill it to create a price spike. Initially the premium only needs to be $5 to $10 over historic values.

2. Get an investing site to list a book as getting hot.

3. Post on the CGC boards a book is heating up.

4. If done right it starts feeding on itself. People who own the books list them. The people who started the shill list them, and people reading the book is hot buy it.

The saddest thing is I really want to know which books are truly worth it, and these practices really cloud the picture. I do not know what percentage of hot books are created heat vs real heat.

The storemail variants potentially add another wrinkle to this progression. A store copy gets hots by putting out a nice cover and selling out. People who wanted that cover but failed to get one pay an inflated aftermarket price, and the same pattern developes.

^^

I buy most 'variant covers' because I enjoy the art.

Some people will buy a variant for the same reason I did. Some people will buy it because it's a 'limited variant'. Some people will buy it in hopes of flipping it or reselling it later.

Why does everyone care how other people spend their money and for what reason. If people want to buy 'shill' items at inflated prices or if people want to create items and drive the price up, that's capitalism.

Caveat Emptor.

As a buyer you need to inform yourself on the product you're buying. I have payed WAY more for some books than I should have because I was ignorant to the market. It's part of living, learning and collecting.

Please don't think that I endorse the 'pump n dump' across multiple websites, but this is the way that any market works. In some cases, I like the marketing so I am at least aware and can buy the product before the 'pump n dumpers' buy em all up and charge triple on ebay.

Just an opinion, everyone has one!

Ah, the fan club's all here. At least all that haven't been banned.

Free to speak one's mind here, to an extent anyway. That other site...not so much.

Free to spread misinformation here and not have to own up to it because you can use your LARP'ing name.

You mean, predict the future? The issue I see is, how do you spot the shills from the speculation before, or as it's happening? Not every single spec is some greater scheme or P&D, it's up to the buyer. Do you just think anything that YOU (generalizing) don't see as good spec? Is flipping bad? It's no worse or different than the stock market, it's basically penny stocks. Good buying judgement comes through trial and error, per person. People get burned and will always get burned especially at first.

You mean, predict the future? The issue I see is, how do you spot the shills from the speculation before, or as it's happening? Not every single spec is some greater scheme or P&D, it's up to the buyer. Do you just think anything that YOU (generalizing) don't see as good spec? Is flipping bad? It's no worse or different than the stock market, it's basically penny stocks. Good buying judgement comes through trial and error, per person. People get burned and will always get burned especially at first.

I have been burned and I have also had a few do very well. Granted the ones I have done well on were not variants, like NYX 3 and 4, and Ms Marvel 1 (1977). I got all those within the last 2 years and could not be happier.

I also buy everything with the assumption I will be stuck with it so I will not pay above the stuck with it price.

Ah, the fan club's all here. At least all that haven't been banned.

Free to speak one's mind here, to an extent anyway. That other site...not so much.

Free to spread misinformation here and not have to own up to it because you can use your LARP'ing name.

What misinformation? Exactly what have I posted that is untrue?

CM 17 2nd print was pumped and dumped to the moon after a certain someone bought 10 copies off you.

Hello Thomas,

Fyi no one person ever bought or was sent 10 copies of CM #17 from me. The person you are referring to did receive as compensation for pressing books for me 1 (one) copy of Cm #17 and a copy of a Spider Gwen variant. Get your facts straight please.

HoC_Hulk_Cvr_A_1024x1024.jpg

Hulk #181 Homage cover featuring X-23

https://thehallofcomics.com/search?q=hulk+variant+ title

OK so this is an X-23 thread...BUT

Any thoughts on collecting She-Hulk (in general) as an investment?

Figured it's a fair question as this book is posted and talked about here.

I seek knowledge and opinions...I'm not making one. Thanks

Edited by Juice Head