• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

As *spoon* as Arch comes back from vacation Hepcat will still be Hepcat.
8 8

1,125 posts in this topic

The Shindig game I've never yet photographed but I have plenty of shots of my Outer Limits game:

DraculaOuterLimits.jpg

OuterLimits.jpg

OuterLimitsinside.jpg

Here as well are scans of some of my Outer Limits cards that Topps issued in 1964:

OuterLimitsCards.jpg

OuterLimitscards1.jpg

OuterLimits2.jpg

OuterLimitswrappers.jpg

:)

Nice collection. Do you have any of the Canadian issued set?

I'm still working on mine - very tough to find in nice shape. Anyone have a Canadian box or wrapper to show?

Nice collection. Do you have any of the Canadian issued set?

No. Usually I settle for either the U.S. or the Canadian set, whichever I find first.

I'm collecting both the U.S. and Canadian variants of the Topps Giant Funny Valentines set though. These were first issued in 1961 and then reissued in 1966. The 1961 cards have red-orange backs while the 1966 reissue has bright red backs. The 1966 reissue was also printed in both the U.S. and Canada. They're easy to differentiate because the U.S. version was printed on white card stock while the Canadian version was printed on grey card stock. The fine print on the back also tells you in which country the cards were printed.

1966 U.S.

26-10-201175015PM.jpg

26-10-201175022PM.jpg

1966 Canadian

26-10-201175004PM.jpg

26-10-201175010PM.jpg

I'm still working on mine - very tough to find in nice shape. Anyone have a Canadian box or wrapper to show?

The wrappers though I collect in any variant - U.S., Canadian, different side ad, etc. After all, one additional wrapper doesn't open a huge can of worms like trying to assemble a whole additional set of cards.

;)

Edited by Hepcat

Speaking of regional football leagues/associations, for the first time ever I volunteered to help out at last weekend's Grey Cup Festival here in Toronto. My duties were primarily directing people to various events. As such I had fun because I got to meet many other equally fanatical Canadian football fans.

I also got the chance to try out the obstacle course set up by the Canadian Armed Forces. I wasn't at all pleased with my performance and I still have skinned and bruised elbows.

In addition I took advantage of the opportunity to get my picture taken with Milt Stegall up on the The Sports Network desk.

TSN5_zps5ltqsnvc.jpg

Milt retired after the 2008 season with the lifetime CFL marks for pass receptions, receiving yardage and touchdowns, the last of which isn't likely to be broken any year soon. He's been working as a commentator for TSN since 2009 and he's really good at it.

Since the ticket prices were set substantially higher than ever before this year, the game wasn't entirely sold out. We volunteers were therefore given free tickets to the game. Mine had a face value of $599 and was on the thirty yard line about twenty rows from the field!

The fellow sitting to my right was big, very big. I realized that he also seemed to be in great condition so I asked him whether he was with any team. Well he turned out to be Peter Dyakowski, a well known offensive lineman with the Hamilton Tiger-Cats!

Peter Dyakowski bio

Peter was with LSU in 2003 when LSU won the U.S. College championship and was the Hamilton Tiger-Cats nominee for Offensive Lineman of the Year in 2011. But best of all he was a first-team Academic All-Canadian while attending high school in Vancouver and was named Canada's Smartest Person by the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation after being the victor on the program of the same name in 2012!

It was a great game, one of the very best Grey Cup games ever played. The 16-2-1 Calgary Stampeders had fallen behind 27-7 to the 9-9-1 Ottawa RedBlacks early in the third quarter but then rallied furiously and had a great chance to win the game with the ball on the Ottawa two yard line with less than a minute to play. Ottawa held though and the Stampeders had to settle for a game tying field goal with seconds to play. But in OT it was RedBlacks receiver Ernest Jackson who made a spectacular grab to score a touchdown that Calgary then failed to match. Final score:

Ottawa RedBlacks 39 Calgary Stampeders 33

It was only the third Grey Cup game out of 104 that went into OT. The two teams combined for a Grey Cup record of 882 passing yards with Ottawa QB Henry Burris accounting for 491 yards and Calgary pivot Bo Levi Mitchell 391 yards. Burris also tied the Grey Cup record Ricky Ray of the Edmonton Eskimos set in 2005 with 35 completions. His 35 completions were also a personal high in a game for Burris as well as an Ottawa club record. Like I say, it was one of the most exciting Grey Cup games ever!

:cool:

Peter though looked wistful after the game. He was clearly wishing that he and the rest of his Tiger-Cat teammates hadn't come up short again and were the ones celebrating a Grey Cup victory on the field.

:(

Look at you - handling that mike like a pro. Great photo (thumbs u

Do you have a Space Ace lunchbox as well? :)

Np. Are you sure one exists?

Twould make for a good one though!

I honestly don't know, but I thought it would be a cool bookend with the other Don Bluth game :)

Edited by Logan510

Those Don Bluth video games had fabulous graphics. I don't understand why video game manufacturers subsequently moved away from cartoon line art animation. More sophisticated/photo realistic doesn't mean better.

(shrug)

Those Don Bluth video games had fabulous graphics. I don't understand why video game manufacturers subsequently moved away from cartoon line art animation. More sophisticated/photo realistic doesn't mean better.

(shrug)

If you recall, those games were essentially glorified Choose Your Own Adventure, with not a lot of user interaction. I would love to see a high end console game of today done in that animation style.

In addition I took advantage of the opportunity to get my picture taken with Milt Stegall up on the The Sports Network desk.

Look at you - handling that mike like a pro. Great photo (thumbs u

So can you tell which is the recently retired Hall of Fame receiver and which is the not soon retiring stockbroker?

:grin:

Edited by Hepcat

Speaking of regional football leagues/associations, for the first time ever I volunteered to help out at last weekend's Grey Cup Festival here in Toronto. My duties were primarily directing people to various events. As such I had fun because I got to meet many other equally fanatical Canadian football fans.

I also got the chance to try out the obstacle course set up by the Canadian Armed Forces. I wasn't at all pleased with my performance and I still have skinned and bruised elbows.

TSN5_zps5ltqsnvc.jpg

Nice. (thumbs u

Milt retired after the 2008 season with the lifetime CFL marks for pass receptions,

Nope, not even top 5 (at the time - even lower now), which makes the next two accomplishments even more impressive.

receiving yardage

Since broken by former teammate Geroy Simon.

and touchdowns, the last of which isn't likely to be broken any year soon.

That's for sure.

He's been working as a commentator for TSN since 2009 and he's really good at it.

Yup.

Milt retired after the 2008 season with the lifetime CFL marks for pass receptions....

Nope, not even top 5 (at the time - even lower now), which makes the next two accomplishments even more impressive.

Sorry. I goofed. I should have checked that detail. Milt Stegall was still behind Terry Vaughn, Darren Flutie (Doug's brother), Allen Pitts, and Don Narcisse in total receptions when he retired. Milt was a big play type of receiver which enabled him to break the career receiving yards and touchdown records without reaching the mark for receptions.

...and touchdowns, the last of which isn't likely to be broken any year soon.

That's for sure.

Milt has 147 regular season touchdown catches. Running backs George Reed and Mike Pringle are tied for second place with 137 TDs in all. I don't think any active player is even up to 90.

He's been working as a commentator for TSN since 2009 and he's really good at it.

Yup.

Funny though. Saturday evening I happened to approach the escalators leading to the outside doors of the Convention Center just when Milt was approaching them. He said he liked the story I told of my spouse becoming a huge fan of his and the Blue Bombers because she thought that someone named Milt Stegall should be selling matzoh ball soup from a storefront in Brooklyn!

His fellow TSN analyst/commentator Gary Lawless who was a few steps above us on the escalator then looked back and asked Milt whether he wanted to share a taxicab to the hotel. Milt said "What?! I'm walking, baby!" Well of course. The hotel could only have been a few blocks away. No way I'd ever take a cab that distance either.

I also got a picture of myself taken with Eskimos QB Mike Reilly at the Post Cereal booth.

Edited by Hepcat

Topps in 1963 issued the 153 card Monster Laffs Midgees set. The cards though were only a third the size of regular cards as they were issued three cards to a 2 1/2" X 4 11/16" panel with each card separated by perforations that could be broken apart.

Later that same year Topps released 66 of the Midgees as standard size Monster Laffs cards. These cards seem to have been issued primarily for vending machine purposes as they were only packaged in generic wrappers. Here are front and back scans of some of mine:

19-05-201180022PM.jpg

19-05-201180031PM.jpg

So it was sixteen years ago earlier this month that I saw a wild looking long-haired black cat in the northeast corner window of the Bay store on Yonge Street in downtown Toronto where the Toronto Humane Society was showcasing pets for adoption. Being bereft of cats at the time the thought that popped into my head was "That's the cat for me!" I was told that he was perhaps two years old and I decided to name him Ace after the Bat-Hound.

A few years later on a summer's day Ace was nowhere to be found when I came home from work on a Friday. Nor did he reappear the following morning. Monday morning though I had a phone message at work. It seems Ace had been discovered late Friday afternoon by the elevators just outside the second floor lost and found office of Sears in downtown Toronto just north of the Bay store. Since the Sears store downtown was about six miles away from my house, I was somewhat puzzled but I assumed that Ace must have hitched a ride downtown to revisit the Bay store but got mixed up a bit. Nonetheless he'd been taken home by one of the women and I retrieved him from the Sears lost and found office the following day.

By last summer Ace was a senior citizen in cat terms and had slowed down somewhat. The vet told us that his kidneys were no longer functioning at peak efficiency and that a slow deterioration in his kidney function could be expected at his age. But on Sunday December 12th we found Ace curled up inside the console TV in the basement. I recognized this immediately as the behaviour of a cat hiding from pain. Off to the vet we went on Monday. Blood work on Tuesday revealed a certain liver enzyme's count at 623 when the maximum level could be no higher than 158. A possible cause was a malfunctioning thyroid which could easily be treated. But further blood work revealed that his thyroid was fine.

A liver tumour was therefore the dreaded diagnosis. The vet told us that even for a young cat there would be nothing he could do other than prescribe a pain killer. I resigned myself to Ace having only a few weeks to live. His condition declined even more rapidly though. By Sunday evening I had to face the reality that his time on this earth was near an end. I broke down at that point. But I couldn't bear to see my friend suffer and steadily lose all dignity. We took him back to the vet on Wednesday morning where he was given an injection and died in my arms.

R.I.P my beloved furry friend Ace (December 1998? - 21 December 2016)

Unlike our other cats Ace had no time for the paparazzi and refused to ham it up for the cameras. As a result we don't have too many good shots of Ace. Here are some decent ones (Ace is the big one):

592d3bb7-05f2-43dc-a6d5-e8fce01b7866_zpspspmfxzj.jpg

AceTheManXmas.jpg

StyxAceFlamingo_zpsaed940e1.jpg

Acetongue.jpg

DSCN3968_zpsny4xekzk.jpg

DSCN3956_zps3djv5tad.jpg

DSCN3926_zpsdf8hhvoh.jpg

DSCN3892_zpshzf3imo2.jpg

DSCN3891_zpsokcgykdj.jpg

:(

Edited by Hepcat

Well it is Xmas so I suppose I can post these scans from my magazine collection....

16-12-2011121003AM.jpg

16-12-2011121007AM.jpg

16-12-2011121013AM.jpg

16-12-2011121020AM.jpg

BigDaddyRoth2.jpg

22-05-201130927PM.jpg

16-12-2011121025AM.jpg

16-12-2011121030AM.jpg

16-12-2011121058AM.jpg

16-12-2011121037AM.jpg

16-12-2011121041AM.jpg

16-12-2011121045AM.jpg

16-12-2011121055AM.jpg

16-12-2011121048AM.jpg

16-12-2011121052AM.jpg

16-12-2011121102AM.jpg

Uncle Creepy wants to get in on the action too!

15-10-201145827PM.jpg

16-12-2011120959AM.jpg

Then one foggy Xmas Eve, Santa came to slay, hey, hey!

:insane:

Hep, I can't tell you how sorry I am for your loss. My wife and I have no children, so our pets (a dog and 2 cats at this time) are our kids to us. Losing a pet is like losing a member of your family. My thoughts are with you, my friend.

Hep, I am very sorry for your loss.

Sorry for your loss sir :(

Hep, I can't tell you how sorry I am for your loss. My wife and I have no children, so our pets (a dog and 2 cats at this time) are our kids to us. Losing a pet is like losing a member of your family. My thoughts are with you, my friend.

I missed the passing of "Ace" Hepcat.

Condolences. The passing of a pet is very, very hard.

Thank you all for your kind words.

We were in no mood to put up the Xmas tree this year but I realized that if we didn't maintain the tradition by putting the tree up for an eleventh straight year then it might very well never go up again. I therefore fought through my sadness and resignation and finally put the tree up on the 24th. Usually we cap the tree off by draping the branches in icicles and then swathing the whole thing in angel hair to complete the silvery-white magical winter wonderland effect. But I didn't have the wherewithal this year to even go out and buy the icicles or angel hair we needed so the tree was a bit more sparsely decorated this year than most.

But on Xmas morning we woke up to find that Scout our twenty month old female cat had already torn down and broken one of the silvery balls.

DSCN3935_zpsog4i0nti.jpg

This of course left shards of broken glass on the floor and was a safety hazard. As a result The WOMAN strongly suggested that I replace any breakable decorations with non-breakable ones (we've acquired a surfeit of decorations over the last decade) and I had to agree. Once again though my enthusiasm level was really low and I had to fight through frustration as well as resignation to do the job of making the tree Scout proof.

It's a good thing I did though since Scout removed another four decorations the next night and a total of nine in all to this point. And the non-breakable ones are tougher to take off because they're hung from a string! I shudder to think how many of the delicate glass ones that all go on with fragile hooks Scout would have broken.

It's all been well worth the effort though. The tree is still a thing of beauty and always draws my eye. Like I say, it represents a magical wintry wonderland with the fibre optics and seven colour LED light strings shining through the silver and white decorations. Gazing upon it has had a calming therapeutic effect on both of us.

DSCN4062_zpsdsrkzrbe.jpg

DSCN4063_zpszulxz59y.jpg

DSCN4061_zpsv87spogg.jpg

DSCN4059_zpshyler5iq.jpg

DSCN4060_zpsuuptdjn5.jpg

Edited by Hepcat