• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Original Art Aficionado [New Article - 1/12/17]
2 2

491 posts in this topic

Hi all, wanted to let everyone know I've started a new column on original comic art ("OA") collecting over at CBSI :grin: Would appreciate it if you drop by periodically and let me have your comments, critiques or congratulations!

http://comicbookinvest.com/category/original-art-aficionado/

This column is intended to serve as an informative portal to OA collecting, bringing in new collectors and energizing existing ones. In light of that, I hope Boardies here will share their wisdom and enthusiasm, to help build up this column and grow our hobby! The next couple of articles will be an introduction to OA collecting, then we'll commence with regular market reports and artist/collector spotlights.

Here’s Part 1 & Part 2 of the guide to collecting original comic art.

Thanks for your time and support!

Best,

O.

Edited by Dick O.

The next couple of articles will be an introduction to OA collecting, then we'll commence with regular market reports and artist/collector spotlights.

Sounds like a great concept! Artists who I'd like to see spolighted: Eduardo Barreto, Emanuela Lupacchino, Terry Dodson, Dan Spiegle, Scott Shaw!, Joe Staton, Don Rosa, Stan Lynde, Leonard Starr, Jim Holdaway & Gisèle Lagacé (availability, pricing etc).

I'm always interested in reading about OA, even if it veers off into "investment" talk.

Will you be bumping this thread when you post a new article? hm

That is a great idea and I will second that as a recommendation!

Good stuff!

I'll check this out and see if I can learn anything - I've looked around online for sources to learn about the hobby but have come up a little dry outside of these forums.

I don't have much interest on the investing slant either, but I definitely am interested in the general topic.

You should have some "Original Art Aficionado" T-shirts made up.

We can all wear them when we go to conventions and give a little wink to each other as we pass by.

Thanks all, for your feedback! I'll be sure to :bump: this thread when new articles are posted.

Regarding the direction of my articles - while there will be market reports, the main thrust will be to expose new (or existing) collectors to the availability and prices of different artists and titles.

Printing OA Aficionado T-shirts :idea:

You should have some "Original Art Aficionado" T-shirts made up.

We can all wear them when we go to conventions and give a little wink to each other as we pass by.

too obvious, I think a bandana would be cool

Not bad, my one comment would be about restoration, you said something along the lines of no stigma as long as things are not re-inked, if it is only cleaning. I would rephrase that to less stigma. All things being equal, if an issue happen to have 2 equal looking splashes, if one was cleaned/restored and one was not, the one not cleaned/restored would go for more

Malvin

Not bad, my one comment would be about restoration, you said something along the lines of no stigma as long as things are not re-inked, if it is only cleaning. I would rephrase that to less stigma. All things being equal, if an issue happen to have 2 equal looking splashes, if one was cleaned/restored and one was not, the one not cleaned/restored would go for more

Malvin

Unless we're talking about mold or foxing. I'll take a stabilized, mold-removed, piece over a moldy one...for sure.

Hey Malvin, I said "generally no stigma" to indicate it's not a universal truth. Also, if two equal-looking splashes in similar condition came to market but one was cleaned/restored, I'm not sure the cleaned/restored one would necessarily take a hit.

Appreciate your feedback!

Hey Chris, D.O. (since I think this board would censor your name)

I had meant what said, 2 pages look the same, one restored, one not. The restored one in my opinion would take a slight hit. All things being equal. D disagrees, which of course is fine since mine is just an opinion.

If there are 2 pages that were similarly damaged, and one was restored, it's more of a toss up. But I would take a stabilized mold removed piece too, all things being equal.

Malvin