• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Just these Alex Schomburg Covers / XELA
3 3

149 posts in this topic

Speaking of Wonder Comics ...

I've been curious about the price differences among some of these.

Numbers 13, 14, and 15 are all nice Xela bondage covers.

Here they are for reference:

photo 3_wonder_comics_1.png

So why is #15 so d*** expensive? High-grade copies of 13 and 14

seem to go for about half of similar copies of 15. Huh?

And according to the census, 15 is more common (although is therea smaller print run?):

33 in the census

9 in 9.0 or higher

31 in the census

9 in 9.0 or higher

52 in the census

12 in 9.0 or higher

Why so much of a premium for #15?

Here they are for reference:

photo 3_wonder_comics_1.png

So why is #15 so d*** expensive? High-grade copies of 13 and 14

seem to go for about half of similar copies of 15. Huh?

And according to the census, 15 is more common (although is therea smaller print run?):

33 in the census

9 in 9.0 or higher

31 in the census

9 in 9.0 or higher

52 in the census

12 in 9.0 or higher

Good question. I love all three and am happy to have them. 13 is my favorite of the three. I would like to know if anyone knows more about the history of the rise in price of 15. One great copy that set a high mark? A feature in overstreet?

It's a more bizarre and slightly disturbing cover..... it grabbed my attention the moment I first laid eyes on one. There are covers with a gal tied up.... and then there are covers that take that theme a little further.... this is one of the latter. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Good question. I love all three and am happy to have them. 13 is my favorite of the three.

I would like to know if anyone knows more about the history of the rise in price of 15. One great copy that set a high mark? A feature in overstreet?

Well, according to Overstreet, issue #15 is the first appearance and origin of Tara. I guess this must mean something since Overstreet has always had this issue priced higher than all pf the other surrounding issues.

As for any write-up, the only one I remember is for issue #14 which was featured in one of Sean Linkenback's columns in one of the very early CBM magazines as a book that was "as rare as hen's tooth" to find. I guess the CGC census sort of disputes that.

Here is another recent pickup. Pretty beautiful copy, 9.0, only thing wrong with it is the dust shadowing.

SKM_C25816121417300.jpgimage post

:cloud9:

....that's the one I want..... with Robinson/Meskin interiors to boot..... :takeit: you need to hurry up and win another Peanuts strip :baiting: GOD BLESS...

Haha, Jimbo! Yeah, I like this book a lot but it may not be one of my forever books.

You need to have a thread with a few of my must haves and we will do a swap (if one of the other guys don't snap your stuff up too fast) :gossip:

:cloud9:

.... When I get home from work....I'll PM you with begging and pleading the likes of which the world has never known..... GOD BLESS...

Edited by jimjum12

I picked these up about a year ago. Those Schomburg covers sure are pretty, aren't they? However, you can't judge a book by it's cover. lol

Wonder%20Comics%201_zpsw7vb4mrr.jpg

All three are some kind of cobbled together Frankenstein that someone assembled back in the day. I would guess that they were created not long after they were published, judging by the condition of the covers. Each has two covers, and interior stories taken from several various issues of Wonder Comics. They are glued together at the spine and they have been trimmed.

This one has 86 pages and is almost like a thick annual. It has the covers from issues 16 and 17 and contains the Tara stories only from issues 15-20 plus the Tara story from Thrilling Comics #71.

Wonder%20Comics%208_zpswmosqhzj.jpg

Wonder%20Comics%202_zpsrgtteqj2.jpg

Wonder%20Comics%205_zpsqj37n0oe.jpg

This one has 72 pages. It has the covers from issues 9 and 12 (Ingels) and contains the Wonder Man stories from issues 9-13.

Wonder%20Comics%209_zpsupff1ulu.jpg

Wonder%20Comics%204_zpss3vpewff.jpg

Wonder%20Comics%207_zpsoj0ltc8g.jpg

This one has 64 pages. It has the covers from issues 10 and 14 and contains the Wonder Man stories from issues 14-17.

Wonder%20Comics%2010_zpsqihaahmj.jpg

Wonder%20Comics%203_zpso3xhrbt4.jpg

Wonder%20Comics%206_zpszjtyjfus.jpg

Probably not much value, collector-wise, but boy they sure are fun to look at. :luhv:

I picked these up about a year ago. Those Schomberg covers sure are pretty, aren't they? However, you can't judge a book by it's cover. lol

Wonder%20Comics%201_zpsw7vb4mrr.jpg

All three are some kind of cobbled together Frankenstein that someone assembled back in the day. I would guess that they were created not long after they were published, judging by the condition of the covers. Each has two covers, and interior stories taken from several various issues of Wonder Comics. They are glued together at the spine and they have been trimmed.

Probably not much value, collector-wise, but boy they sure are fun to look at. :luhv:

Those are great. I have an Atlas war book where someone cut out all the Russ Heath stories and bundled them into one cover just like that.

I have loved Schomburg's WWII covers for years. I was at a local comic show today and I found 2 of them.

This one I found and the dealer had $400 on it. Well I was talking to the dealer and he bought a rather large collection of golden age stuff. I looked at this book and noticed it is missing pages 1-4 and the last 4 pages. He had not checked out the book just put a price on it and not even checked the price guide for the value of it. He did not know who Schomburg was. So I asked him what he wanted for it and he said $150. I said I will have to think about it and walked around the show for a little while. He came and found me and sold it to me for $40.

32078522241_f400f7f00b_c.jpgUntitled by dghmwyatt, on Flickr

32048309932_4fe065316d_c.jpgUntitled by dghmwyatt, on Flickr

So I also checked out another book he had Captaim America Comics #49. The cover is detached and looks like a mouse got to it on the lower left corner. He had $250 on it and I got it for $175.

32196780485_a887b91c4b_c.jpgUntitled by dghmwyatt, on Flickr

31355224234_71aeb76664_c.jpgUntitled by dghmwyatt, on Flickr

32078522651_032fdf8c31_c.jpgUntitled by dghmwyatt, on Flickr

I have always thought I would have to spend a lot more on these covers, but to find them at a local show and the dealer didn't know who Alex Schomburg was, I was confused. Now I am going to see if I can find a All Winners Comic #13 without a cover and marry them. 1 dealer told me I paid to much for the All Winners #13.

1 dealer told me I paid to much for the All Winners #13.

Just the cover alone is worth more than $40, and that it still has the centerfold is a bonus. Find a beater or coverless copy missing the centerfold and you have a sweet married copy.

Good deal on the Cap as well, anytime you can pick up a complete Cap for under $200, you've done well.

Nice pickups!