• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have a Cigar! Golden Age only....!
45 45

48,446 posts in this topic

'tis the season.

DbanCB.jpg

Would be interesting to know how Batman spent his Christmas holidays in the pre-Robin era? Somehow I don't see him hanging out with Santa by himself...

Curiously, there was never a Christmas cover in Detective Comics as far as I can tell. Between 1945-1948 there was a Christmas (or at least winter-themed) cover each year in the Batman series, but then never again.

Interesting point that hadn't occurred to me before. There were some Christmas covers in other DC books from that era. Here are a couple.

Action93_zps7a236bf0.jpg

lf-46_zpsfe0694fb.jpeg

Cool Bat #27. One of my favorite Bat covers. Here's a few more festive DC's

comcomiccavalcade5_zpsnd0y4qxy.jpg

comsensation32_zpsis5w4fst.jpg

combatman33_zpskjcg4wxw.jpg

comgreenlantern18_zpsz1aoa5dp.jpg

I have more but I will let someone else have some fun...

Kind of fascinating. All of those different DC titles had Christmas covers, limited to the years 1945-1948, with the exception of Comic Cavalcade, which had a Christmas cover every year beginning in 1943, and continuing even after the switch to funny animals, through Dec 49/Jan 50.

Wonder if a DC editorial policy stated, "No More Christmas Covers!"

comgreenlantern18_zpsz1aoa5dp.jpg

I have more but I will let someone else have some fun...

You have great taste, r-man! :applause:

Haven't been around in Gold much (or elsewhere on the Boards for that matter), but I figured this was the best way to say "hi" to all my ole buddies in the GA Forum. :hi:

There was one gem in this month's C-Link auction that I just had to have. Since I am never going to own a high grade Cap # 1, this seemed like a suitable alternative, and it's still a grail book for me, being a Classic Schomburg cover as well as a first issue Timely key. The recent sale of the Penn copy in the Heritage Auction for a whopping $45k made me realize it was now or never if I ever wanted this book.

The old label goodness and below OS Guide sale price were the cherry and nuts on top of my awesome Sundae. :banana:

RADFDEFA20161019_1052.jpg

Haven't been around in Gold much (or elsewhere on the Boards for that matter), but I figured this was the best way to say "hi" to all my ole buddies in the GA Forum. :hi:

There was one gem in this month's C-Link auction that I just had to have. Since I am never going to own a high grade Cap # 1, this seemed like a suitable alternative, and it's still a grail book for me, being a Classic Schomburg cover as well as a first issue Timely key. The recent sale of the Penn copy in the Heritage Auction for a whopping $45k made me realize it was now or never if I ever wanted this book.

The old label goodness and below OS Guide sale price were the cherry and nuts on top of my awesome Sundae. :banana:

(worship)

That book is a real beauty :applause:(thumbs u

I love the billfold, and it makes me want to show my recent 1940's Superman item ... I couldn't resist the item below on HA the other night. Unfortunately I probably won't be able to wear it, but my son will think it is the coolest belt in the world :)

Superman%20belt_zpsafvgoglw.jpg

Just picked this up from the bay, and I plan to use it as my everyday wallet :) Looks to be about a VG, and TBD if I'll need to marry the interior pages.

s-l1600_zpsld1shnyj.jpg

fabulous pickup!

fabulous pickup!

+1 Great!

fabulous pickup!

+1 Great!

Superb!!!