• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

When will/will the WALKING DEAD bubble burst?
7 7

3,607 posts in this topic

Hate to break the news to you, but Space Operas/Westerns only appeal to a portion of the population as well. Star Trek was so popular it got cancelled after 5 or whatever seasons and other than a bad cartoon, took 10 years to resurface. Now it has worked itself into popular culture.

I agree, WD may be a bit more of a niche. But if the comic hangs around and is at issue 300 or 400, even if it is off TV, then who the heck knows.

Actually the original ST series was on for only three seasons. NBC apparently intended to cancel it after the second season, but bowed to a massive letter writing campaign from fans. The third season is usually considered to be inferior to the first two because, although NBC authorized a third season, they drastically cut the production budget.

Carry on!

Fine. But the pilot gets you into 1966!

(The irony is, in the pilot a woman was the second in command and I don't think in the regular series, we ever saw a woman in a position of power on a star ship)

Why does everyone worry about bubbles bursting? Just enjoy the show while we have it.

Seems a shame that people want to downplay such a great show.

Comic collectors are an odd bunch. When they don't have comic book shows they complain , when they do they complain.

(shrug)

+1

Couldn't agree more. That's why I'm being mildly snarky with my comments. :shy:

-J.

Please help me. Why is it okay to have multiple threads pumping books all over the board (modern variants, dozens of fan clubs in Gold-Silver-Bronze-Copper-Modern, membership clubs and many many other examples), but not okay to have a thread questioning the value of a certain book?

Both sides of the coin have a place in comic education: the fan and the dissenting opinion. When you are talking about books over $1,000 I don't think it is unreasonable to ask: "why is the value where it is," "where is it potentially going" and "should I buy?"

It doesn't have to be construed as negative, not everyone is a fan. If all we do is "pump" books in every thread, how will we ever get an honest opinion? What a boring place that would be...

Anybody can start whatever thread they like. Although I think anyone expecting to give an honestly earned "I told you so" in this thread , 5, 6, 10+(?) years after the fact will look more than just a little foolish.

And if we have gotten to a place on these boards where fans /admirers/owners of books/artists/ages, etc. cannot discuss their prized possessions without being accused of "pumping" then we are in a sad and cynical place indeed, and might as well just shut the whole thing down.

-J.

I came back to comics for a while in the 90s and was blown away by how popular (and expensive) vampire related marvel comics had become during my break (like ASM 101 and TOD10 and lots of others), although I was aware that pop culture favored Anne Rice novels and Buffy/Angel so it didn't surprise me after I thought about it a while.

I loved Zombieland and what was that movie, World War Z?, that was fun, although they moved way too fast, imo. Before this it was George A Romero all the way.

I came back to comics for a while in the 90s and was blown away by how popular (and expensive) vampire related marvel comics had become during my break (like ASM 101 and TOD10 and lots of others), although I was aware that pop culture favored Anne Rice novels and Buffy/Angel so it didn't surprise me after I thought about it a while.

I loved Zombieland and what was that movie, World War Z?, that was fun, although they moved way too fast, imo.

The remake of Dawn of the Dead (Ving Rhames, Sarah Polley) is simply fantastic

Why does everyone worry about bubbles bursting? Just enjoy the show while we have it.

Comic collectors are an odd bunch. When they don't have comic book shows they complain , when they do they complain.

(shrug)

+1

-J.

Please help me. Why is it okay to have multiple threads pumping books all over the board (modern variants, dozens of fan clubs in Gold-Silver-Bronze-Copper-Modern, membership clubs and many many other examples), but not okay to have a thread questioning the value of a certain book?

Both sides of the coin have a place in comic education: the fan and the dissenting opinion. When you are talking about books over $1,000 I don't think it is unreasonable to ask: "why is the value where it is," "where is it potentially going" and "should I buy?"

It doesn't have to be construed as negative, not everyone is a fan. If all we do is "pump" books in every thread, how will we ever get an honest opinion? What a boring place that would be...

Anybody can start whatever thread they like. Although I think anyone expecting to give an honestly earned "I told you so" in this thread , 5, 6, 10+(?) years after the fact will look more than just a little foolish.

And if we have gotten to a place on these boards where fans /admirers/owners of books/artists/ages, etc. cannot discuss their prized possessions without being accused of "pumping" then we are in a sad and cynical place indeed, and might as well just shut the whole thing down.

-J.

Of course people can and should post about the books they love, which to your point is a huge part of the boards. My only point is that people should be able to criticize and challenge the status quo as well. I didn't accuse you of pumping books and if it came off that way I apologize.

What I don't understand is why you are (self admittedly) getting "snarky..?"

(shrug)

+1

-J.

-J.

Of course people can and should post about the books they love, which to your point is a huge part of the boards. My only point is that people should be able to criticize and challenge the status quo as well. I didn't accuse you of pumping books and if it came off that way I apologize.

I'm just a big fan of the show and I hope it has many more seasons ahead of it. I even started liking the spin off show during the last 3 episodes last season when it finally seemed to find its own identity. And looking back at some of the comments in this thread from 2012 and 2013 kind of makes me :eyeroll:lol:foryou:

-J.

(shrug)

+1

-J.

-J.

I'm just a big fan of the show and I hope it has many more seasons ahead of it. I even started liking the spin off show during the last 3 episodes last season when it finally seemed to find its own identity. And looking back at some of the comments in this thread from 2012 and 2013 kind of makes me :eyeroll:lol:foryou:

-J.

Great! I personally skew the other direction and find the TV show repetive and sensationalist. They are already talking about Negan killing someone else in the mid-season finale to draw viewers.

It's cool you like it, a lot of people do. Maybe it will turn viewership around.

Having never seen an episode of this show, it's a big deal when this Negan kills someone?

That was the cliff hanger from last season and it was a huge viewership boost. In the season premiere he executed a person and it was extremely brutal. After that I think the novelty wore off and the gossip is that having him kill another main character would draw similar attention.

It is speculation.

Michael traynor.

He tells a funny story about walking down the street back east somewhere and someone recognizing him and thinking he was really his character and got mad at him for killing off someone in the show.

Edited by NoMan

I don't get the show, honestly. Is it following the book? The glenn death thing was in the comics. How can this be a shocker or bring in viewers?

I watched the scene, it is no different than what you'd expect from a horror flick/show.

Show mostly follows the comic but there are differences. In the comic Negan only killed Glenn and Abraham died earlier. Also Darrel isn't in the comic so that changes things.

Ah ok

Show mostly follows the comic but there are differences. In the comic Negan only killed Glenn and Abraham died earlier. Also Darrel isn't in the comic so that changes things.

Ah ok

And people who know Glenn died in the comics (which by the season premiere was everyone who watches the show) briefly thought they were going to deviate when Abraham was the first one killed. they figured he replaced glenn as the dead guy in that scene. i was sure as heck surprised that they did two in.

I still have yet to see an episode of this show.

But I am biased, I hate soap opera's

Honest question: so you don't follow any comic book? They are all soap operas.

:eyeroll: