• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,730 posts in this topic

The longer I collect, the more I realize my $$$ is better spent on nice copies of vintage comics (even though print runs on many of those was high as well don't forget). Don't get me wrong, I still like moderns for the amount of good reading there is out there via Image etc., and the ability to make coin off sets/single issues and such I believe in and read on the regular, but closing in on 1K for a book like that is absolutely insane. To each his own is the rule at the end of the day, though.

I sell moderns and I buy pre-code horrors :grin:

I've been playing that game on and off for a few years. Here's a taste.

24g4ozl.jpg

Those are some beauties! I'm sure that Chamber Of Chills isn't a #19 or else it would be front and center ;)

The longer I collect, the more I realize my $$$ is better spent on nice copies of vintage comics (even though print runs on many of those was high as well don't forget). Don't get me wrong, I still like moderns for the amount of good reading there is out there via Image etc., and the ability to make coin off sets/single issues and such I believe in and read on the regular, but closing in on 1K for a book like that is absolutely insane. To each his own is the rule at the end of the day, though.

24g4ozl.jpg

Those are some beauties! I'm sure that Chamber Of Chills isn't a #19 or else it would be front and center ;)

A grail for me. One day I'll have one.

eBay is going nuts over the VALIANT Savage 1 1:50. Bids are already at $880 for a single raw issue.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/302153740645?_trksid=p2060353.m1431.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

VALIANT fans are very interested in this book as it Dinesh mentioned it will have the lowest print run of any VALIANT title to day. Considering Divinity 1 1:40 had 350 issues printed, it is a low print run.

This is why I generally stay aware from Modern Variants and read via trades, either way I'm not sure if this is good for VALIANT o not. I haven't read Savage (yet) but all accounts are it's a great story coupled with great art.

24g4ozl.jpg

Same here and it seems like only really low grade copies are becoming available and selling at unreal at high prices. Recently picked up a low mid grade CHC #21 with a sweet Lee Elias cover, even those are getting harder to find. Damn reprints getting people interested in our good stuff!

24g4ozl.jpg

I bought my file copy for $200.00 :insane:

eBay is going nuts over the VALIANT Savage 1 1:50. Bids are already at $880 for a single raw issue.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/302153740645?_trksid=p2060353.m1431.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

VALIANT fans are very interested in this book as it Dinesh mentioned it will have the lowest print run of any VALIANT title to day. Considering Divinity 1 1:40 had 350 issues printed, it is a low print run.

This is why I generally stay aware from Modern Variants and read via trades, either way I'm not sure if this is good for VALIANT o not. I haven't read Savage (yet) but all accounts are it's a great story coupled with great art.

There is now a second copy of Savage 1 1:50 on ebay. It's already at $200.

The shilling effect begins......

The shilling effect begins......

Same 2 bidders on both books just going back and forth.

I don't necessarily disagree, but all of the bidders seem to have double-digit bidding history with this seller. So if it is shilled, is it with all 7 of his other accounts??? :grin:

The common, "look its being shilled" gotchas have been well known by shillers for 10+ years.

The lazy ones might get exposed by %bids with one seller, # of bid retractions, low feedback users...

Professional/experienced shillers havent done it with those types of "mistakes" for years and years. You can never know for sure, but the key to catching shilling in this era, is to look for bidders acting against their own interest. That cannot be hidden no matter how savvy the shillers are.

That includes:

1.) Raising the price significantly, long before the auction ends

2.) An extremely unusual amount of bidding. (Very few people bid 14 times on one auction)

3.) Bidding up an auction past the BIN price of other auctions for the same product.

The goals of shillers is one of two things:'

1.) Probing - (trying to get legit users to max their bids)

2.) Locking in Fake sales - (where they sell within their group, or too themselves, in order to create a fake 'floor' for something they will try and sell legitimately later/)

I haven't made up my mind whether it is being shilled or not, but all the points you make can be the signs of an inexperienced bidder or an uninformed bidder. I have looked through the feedback for this seller and for the seller of the other book listed as an auction and I can't find anything to tie them together.

If this is a shill I would like to prove it as creating fakes sales does not help the average Valiant fan who wants a copy of the book or the market for Valiant books, but I just haven't seen any proof yet. I just see the same four bidders on both auctions who may just really want the book and have the money to spend.

I want to get in that boat, but even low grade stuff for the most part is just out of my reach financially. I know there is a bunch of more affordable and obscure titles out there but I'm still leery to even start. lol

Jeez there is a ton of affordable vintage stuff out there, it depends on what you're chasing. Yes, pre-code horror, not so much.

anyone else see the fan expo mystery boxes, limited to 500

If you buy premium one you get B/W batman adventures 12 virgin variant which I haven't seen before. Value seems to be pretty good, says limit one per household. Can't find any info on this in google but email came straight to me.

k, so con variant with 3 types, gotcha

You don't consider con exclusives to be real variants either ?

-J.

yes, majority of them are legit. That was a retraction from my error of it being a store variant, which definitely are NOT real.