• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

DR DOOM IS GREAT. Please share your Doom OA, Favorite Doom Stories

123 posts in this topic

I have quite a few Dr. Doom pieces of OA... but this is one of them that isn't on my CAF.

Iron Man #150 is my favorite comic of all time and the one I'm the most emotionally attached to. Problem was getting a page from that issue was almost impossible.

In the past 10 years I've seen 4 of them come up for auction, 2 of them I didn't like as there was no Doom in it, another one was from a famous fan's estate that was sold on eBay about 5-6 years ago and where I didn't (stupidly) allow myself to double my budget to buy it.

The 4th one is the one above in this thread which was offered to me but which I passed on, after much deliberation.

But finally after almost 10 years of searching I was able to find and purchase the following page...I've never posted it before, so enjoy (thumbs u

Ironman150p28_zpsjrzsk4cp.jpg

I've seen this page before on CAF along with another page where Doom electrifies a knight and that is also gone?. Chrome was this sold on C-Link or offerred privately? Lovely page.

Thanks.

Dealer... I had made a polite inquiry on the other page (Doom zapping the knight) to the CAF seller years ago, but never got a reply. Never saw this page..I never contacted the CAF member again, figuring he wasn't interested. Was very lucky to find this on a dealer's site the same hour he put it up for sale.

Kind of reminiscent of Phantom of the Opera. Doom is a complex and dynamic character. Though clearly Marvels greatest Super Villain I sometimes have trouble calling him villain as you would most comic "bad guys." Emperor Doom and Triumph and torment come to mind.

I hope you can get an FF 236 page. Byrne indeed advanced the complexity of Doom's character during his shining run on FF.

I'm having a LOT of trouble with CAF at the moment, so can't show you more pics...

But seeing you mention "Triumph and torment".

Here's another page I own from that series. Even though it's a big book and over half the pages feature Doom, it's also not an easy page to get. Everyone that owns a page seemingly doesn't want to sell.

doomignola-2.jpg

BTW the art Mignola did for this series is on oversized DC (!) paper. When I asked him about this he asked me he just draws on anything laying around at the time :grin:

Oh and you also like Byrne's Doom ?

Here's probably my favorite own Doom page... the entire FF and then that great menacing shot of Doom at the end.

FF246p8Byrne.jpg

Its not a great image, I kept meaning to scan this. I normally dont collect material like this, too modern and I have no idea what if anything it was used for...but it was so good I couldnt pass on it. Its by Charlie Adlard from Walking dead and other things. He did this on Topps paper he probably had lying around from his X-Files day. So judgey and angry looking lol.

doom3.jpg

I don't have any Doom art, but here's a video by MF Doom that's modeled as a Kirby-Lee classic comic...

Madvillain - All Caps

Madvillian is MF DOOM & Madlib

Edit: My favorite Doom moment is FF #116 when Sue Storm goads him into leading the FF and he makes a valiant last stand against the Over-Mind.

Ruthless, brilliant, arrogant, vengeful and yet possessed by pretensions of regal nobility...Doom is definitively a cut above and apart from the standard four-color funnybook villian. And John Buscema and Joe Sinnott portray Doom perfectly.

Edited by The Shoveler

Oh my! I'll start with Byrne. What a superb artist! His FF run alone would be enough to crown him as a comic art legend. Your page is typical dramatic Doom FF genius. Inspired art work. That Doom panel is so money.

Triumph and torment: One of the best art/stories ever. your page is terrific.

Mignola is so unique. I don't know what was going on during his creation of Triumph ( yes on DC board:-) but it's one one of the great Doom stories ever. One of the great stories ever. The art is master class.

I so appreciate your contribution to this thread! I just new i wasn't the only Doom nut:-)

Yes! Awesome Shoveler. I love that video never saw it before. Love it!

FF 116 with out question one of the best Doom FF yarns. Buscema and Sinnott are pure magic. I remember well the four panel page where Doom battles even when he has no more power-energy and only succumbs when drained to near death. The will of Doom goes beyond mortal understanding.

Great post and so appreciate your thoughts and contributions Shoveler.

I love it zhamlau.

You are right Doom looks like he's about to serve some rough judgement on some poor

" Incompetent Dolt!!"

Love the shadow on Doom's mask.

Thanks so much for posting this.