• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Motion Pictures Funny Weekly #1 for auction. Guesses?
1 1

126 posts in this topic

Much as it pains me to say it, the Kirby connection doesn't seem to do much for books these days.

100% agree

That's unfortunate because another tidbit about Red Raven 1 is that it contains the first Kirby renderings of Sub-Mariner and Human Torch in two small ads (Marvel Mystery 8 added for comparison)

red%20raven%20panel%20vs%20marvel%208_zpsf0xqgoh9.jpg

red%20raven%20human%20torch%20plug_zpsbntrl2wj.jpg

I am going to say, like the Kirby rendering much more, but I like a lot of his stuff. Star Spangled 7 has to be one of my absolute favorite books done by him.

Not me. I'll take the Everett/Burgos version any day.

Wonder why they had two different depictions of the same house ad? Anyone know the story behind that?

Those two house ads are the last panels of Red Raven 1 stories. Maybe Kirby had to fill up some panels. Just curious guys, if we could get back to 1939 in our time machines, which of these designs would you have picked?

Marvel%201%20with%20new%20MYSTERY%20logo%20COMPARISON_zps9idsjmie.jpg

I'll take the MC logo. I always wished Goodman never changed it so quickly after the 1st issue.

The guide really should put Marvel 1 with the rest of the Marvel Mysterys instead of it being stand alone and on a different page. Too much newer Marvel product have buried the listing. Probably affects the price adversely as well like it's some one shot.

The guide really should put Marvel 1 with the rest of the Marvel Mysterys instead of it being stand alone and on a different page. Too much newer Marvel product have buried the listing. Probably affects the price adversely as well like it's some one shot.

(thumbs u

I think that was an old decision that they've just stuck with. Does seem to be inconsistent with other instances of books with minor title changes being listed together. That's a point that never occurred to me before.

That Marvel Mystery vs Marvel Comics mock-up reminded me that back in the day, we (most collectors) used to just call it Marvel Mystery #1. Very few people used to call it Marvel Comics #1. I remember my father back in the 70s telling me that he traded his Marvel Mystery #1 for a Buck Rogers helmet he used to have as a kid. (Not the most stellar trade...)

Just checked a 1973 Overstreet price guide, and sure enough, #1 is listed with all the other Marvel Mystery issues. Not sure what year he switched it over to it's own listing, but it seems it would be sometime in the late 70s ???

Overstreet #7 (1977) is the first one that lists Marvel Comics #1 separately.

For me personally, it is definitely a 1. I have zero interest. It has an absolutely horrible cover.

Everyone's entitled to their opinion....but what can I say about someone who wouldn't want MPFW #1 because the cover-art isn't nice?? :cry:

You probably wouldn't want the Mona Lisa because her smile isn't nice. What would you want, a picture of Batman?? lol

Edited by Big Moov

For me personally, it is definitely a 1. I have zero interest. It has an absolutely horrible cover.

Everyone's entitled to their opinion....but what can I say about someone who wouldn't want MPFW #1 because the cover-art isn't nice?? :cry:

You probably wouldn't want the Mona Lisa because her smile isn't nice. What would you want, a picture of Batman?? lol

We aren't talking about the Mona Lisa, we are talking about MPFW #1, and yes the cover art is terrible.

We aren't talking about the Mona Lisa, we are talking about MPFW #1, and yes the cover art is terrible.

+1

How about a slabbed coverless copy where the pages are bent back on themselves to expose the Subby story?

i'm a timely collector, and a huge subby fan, and also have zero interest in the book. it does nothing for me.

I'm on the side that is a Timely fan and has zero interest in the book, but for me, it's as much the fact that it's a giveaway, and not an actual distributed, newsstand comic book.

The fact that it has an awful cover doesn't help it any either.

i'm a timely collector, and a huge subby fan, and also have zero interest in the book. it does nothing for me.

I'm on the side that is a Timely fan and has zero interest in the book, but for me, it's as much the fact that it's a giveaway, and not an actual distributed, newsstand comic book.

I don't think we're even sure it was ever actually given away in theaters. I don't believe -- without going back through the earlier threads -- that any of the known copies are believed to have come from a theater giveaway.

Still want a copy, though. :sumo:

I don't think we're even sure it was ever actually given away in theaters. I don't believe -- without going back through the earlier threads -- that any of the known copies are believed to have come from a theater giveaway.

I believe you're correct, known copies are likely remaining (undistributed?) samples intended to drum up business.

How about a slabbed coverless copy where the pages are bent back on themselves to expose the Subby story?

:takeit:

Still want a copy, though. :sumo:

I will say it again, this book has major historic significance which is well deserved but for myself, it just isn't something I have an interest in. I personally think if the cover had a cool Submariner image equivalent to Marvel Comics 1, we are talking about at least a 5x increase in price, so yes, I strongly believe the cover artwork has a significant impact on the value of this book.