• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Ducks!
15 15

8,432 posts in this topic

I now have this in my hands… :cloud9:

Estensive rust migration and then bad amateurish restoration, but who cares? I paid it about a 10% of the price of what a decent copy would have costed (and that was above my "comfort zone"!).

Will make a scan later on…

Let's hope the most important stories will be published in english at some point…

This is the original I should get in December. I wasn’t willing to spend $1000 or more to have a nice copy, so very excited to purchase this from a friend ("Nel Regno di Topolino" #92 is from 1939, and one of the most sought after issues):

pBcRKNkh.jpg

I now have this in my hands… :cloud9:

Estensive rust migration and then bad amateurish restoration, but who cares? I paid it about a 10% of the price of what a decent copy would have costed (and that was above my "comfort zone"!).

Will make a scan later on…

Let's hope the most important stories will be published in english at some point…

This is the original I should get in December. I wasn’t willing to spend $1000 or more to have a nice copy, so very excited to purchase this from a friend ("Nel Regno di Topolino" #92 is from 1939, and one of the most sought after issues):

pBcRKNkh.jpg

Congratulations! That looks like it will be fun to read and the condition will allow you to enjoy it as a comic should be enjoyed!

I totally love the Firestone Giveaways stories… :cloud9:

The fact they are often coinciding with Christmas just make them extra special!

It's the most wonderful time of the year!

comdisneyfirestone_zpscvmdwbl8.jpg

I like them too...

29917239714_f1eb3df047_c.jpg

I saw a pile of them at the flea market and picked out the best ones for purchase. When I came back later, they were all gone.

CIS%20Firestone%20Christmas%20giveaway%20comics%20set.jpg

Firestone started the Christmas giveaway comic series with the Famous Gang of Comics starring Bug Bunny and his friends in 1942. They switched to Donald Duck and the Disney group the following year.

I've never picked up any of these. Always something on the collecting event horizon!!

Firestone started the Christmas giveaway comic series with the Famous Gang of Comics starring Bug Bunny and his friends in 1942. They switched to Donald Duck and the Disney group the following year.

Wonderful set, Rich. :applause:

I like them too...

I saw a pile of them at the flea market and picked out the best ones for purchase. When I came back later, they were all gone.

So why didn't you make a deal for the whole stack?

Nice to see them all together Rich. I've had most of them from time to time but never put a whole set together at once. Keep posting them photos!

I've never picked up any of these. Always something on the collecting event horizon!!

The earliest stories are delightful… Some of my Barks favorites!

Of course I have read them in reprints.

Here's a photo from hanging out with Don Rosa at a San Diego con probably about ten years ago. This was after he had stopped working for Disney doing comics and he was telling me his tales of that part of his life. I think it was prior to his eye problems though and as I recall the booth was the dealer who was selling his collection of books he had bought off the stands.

Don is an entertaining guy and if you ever get a chance to talk to him at a show I highly recommend it.

I spoke with Don Rosa at an Albuquerque con a few years ago. Nice guy although he was a little stand offish until I proved I was a fan by telling him the name of the story for one of his prints. :) Once he realized I was a "True fan" he was extremely gracious and talked to my wife and I for a little while. We bought a few prints while wishing he would do an original "something" for us.

Nice guy and I wish Disney would do something for him like they did for Carl Barks.

Don Rosa was a regular guest at the Serendipity Shows in Suburban Philadelphia/Wilmington. I enjoyed talking with him briefly while he made a few pictures for me. I think many artist are great story tellers and can entertain an audience with a little encouragement. Unfortunately, the US editors seemed to push Rosa towards the European Market where he was better appreciated (or at least paid better).

1777588536_73ceb58daa_z.jpg

I like them too...

So why didn't you make a deal for the whole stack?

I think I had limited funds at the time but had a few dollars leftover that day and wanted to buy the rest but too late.

:cloud9: Famous Gang :golfclap: Cool set!

+1. I don't recall having seen the Famous Gang issue before and didn't realize that it was part of the series.

+1. I don't recall having seen the Famous Gang issue before and didn't realize that it was part of the series.

BOOT posted a copy not too far back, and yes even for me as a Looney Tunes fan, I never knew it existed and was surprised it started out as a series which evolved into a Disney series. A facinating piece of animation history that i'd love the back story to (even though Bugs Bunny was popular already at the time of this books publication, he was still a 'rising' star at this time: Did Disney 'outbid' Warners for the Firestone exclusive?.

Anyway rewind to last year a year ago tomorrow (on my Birthday no less), i was having one of those sleepless nights. I hear an alert go off on my phone: eBay had a 'buy it now' copy listed. Price seemed 'high' for the grade, and there was a 'make an offer', but i knew Overstreet lists it as rare, and my PM's with Yellow Kid on the matter seemed to confirm that. So i thought, do i make an offer and wait, risking someone probably paying the asking price? Well, you KNOW how it ended! :D The back cover ties in the 'Christmas' aspect. From the stamp, it's nice knowing where and what Auto establishment my copy originally circulated.

Famous%20Gang%20Book%20of%20Comics%20nn_zpsvd3vz5kz.jpg

FGBOC%20bc_zps52aqw0x9.jpg

BOOT posted a copy not too far back, and yes even for me as a Looney Tunes fan, I never knew it existed and was surprised it started out as a series which evolved into a Disney series. A facinating piece of animation history that i'd love the back story to (even though Bugs Bunny was popular already at the time of this books publication, he was still a 'rising' star at this time: Did Disney 'outbid' Warners for the Firestone exclusive?.

Anyway rewind to last year a year ago tomorrow (on my Birthday no less), i was having one of those sleepless nights. I hear an alert go off on my phone: eBay had a 'buy it now' copy listed. Price seemed 'high' for the grade, and there was a 'make an offer', but i knew Overstreet lists it as rare, and my PM's with Yellow Kid on the matter seemed to confirm that. So i thought, do i make an offer and wait, risking someone probably paying the asking price? Well, you KNOW how it ended! :D The back cover ties in the 'Christmas' aspect. From the stamp, it's nice knowing where and what Auto establishment my copy originally circulated.

Famous%20Gang%20Book%20of%20Comics%20nn_zpsvd3vz5kz.jpg

FGBOC%20bc_zps52aqw0x9.jpg

Nice! You read the boards every day, you learn something new!