• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The X-23 Thread
2 2

321 posts in this topic

Question... when it says "pre-screened" does that mean they are going to grade it as well??? or just paying to have it prescreened then send it to me, or they're prescreened already and they'll ship it to me when released and then I can send it in?..... any thoughts are appreciated :shy:

Question... when it says "pre-screened" does that mean they are going to grade it as well??? or just paying to have it prescreened then send it to me, or they're prescreened already and they'll ship it to me when released and then I can send it in?..... any thoughts are appreciated :shy:

The description says you will receive 8 to 10 weeks after the comic is released. So my guess is they are sending in the best looking issues on release day, and you will get one that is pre-screened to be a 9.8. It does not look like it will be slabbed. So will get a book CBCS is saying would get a 9.8 if they proceeded to slab it. This makes me think a few things.

1. The $15 issues will all have defects so expect them to be between 9.0 and 9.4. All the higher grades are getting sent out.

2. It leaves a lot of room for something to happen to the book. It must be shipped to you (risk of damage). Then if you want it graded it must be shipped again (risk of damage). Then the grader needs to still think it is a 9.8. If the buyer stays with CBCS, that may be guaranteed because it mentions a certificate. If you send it to CGC it is a good bet it will also be a 9.8, but it is not a lock.

3. The shop can't guarantee you get 9.8 even if you order one. They may send out 500 issues for grading, but until being screened the store can not know how many 9.8's they will end up with. So orders could exceed actual numbers.

Best to ask them via Twitter or Facebook (couldn't find a phone number).

Given price difference between a normal copy and certified 9.8, I think they'll probably come slabbed. Besides, with shipping risk, etc, the only way to guarantee the book will remain a 9.8 is slabbing. Heck, even then, slabbing's not a guarantee but it's the best bet. Also, the listings specifically mention Signature Gold and Universal Blue labels.

Best to ask them via Twitter or Facebook (couldn't find a phone number).

Given price difference between a normal copy and certified 9.8, I think they'll probably come slabbed. Besides, with shipping risk, etc, the only way to guarantee the book will remain a 9.8 is slabbing. Heck, even then, slabbing's not a guarantee but it's the best bet. Also, the listings specifically mention Signature Gold and Universal Blue labels.

I do not read this as slabbed. Here is exactly as it is posted on the website.

HULK #1 (CVR A)

COLOR VARIANT COVER

THE HALL OF COMICS/CBCS EXCLUSIVE

CBCS PRE-SCREENED CERTIFIED GRADE 9.8

(BLUE LABEL)

Clearly says pre-screened certified grade, not a slabbed grade. To me, that means you will get a 9.8 if you send it to CBCS. But you are right, it could just be poorly worded. Saying pre-screened and certified is an oxymoron. If it was blue or yellow label it should just say certified 9.8.

I grabbed one of the basic $15 ones just because I kinda like the novelty of it & like the idea of being able to put it next to my Hulk 181. Even if it's in the 9.4 range, no big deal because as a store variant, I don't expect it to have any significant value above what I'm paying for it now, since store variants holding value are few & far between.

ya i know lol i was just bringing it full circle and saying crack it to send to cgc to make it relevant;

also I am not sure all would crack it for cgc, which would make it unique since there offering only the voldemort :foryou: