• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

.....one FINE Thread..... post those LOU FINE'S..........
3 3

365 posts in this topic

just my personal opinion but i would get the notes on that ww7 long before considering breaking it out of the slab to inspect. the book looks phenomenal in there and, for me, it would be a bummer to find something with the interior that brings the grade down without knowing about it first.

congrats that was one auction that i imagine nearly all ga collectors were watching.

Very good points. I'll get the notes and report back.

(double posting out of sheer excitement)

Daily math problem:

6 ghouls :insane::insane::insane::insane::insane::insane: + 1 flame :flamed: =

7 (Wonderworld)

(Damsel in distress not included in this equation :whatev:)

wonderworld_7_300dpi_8q_5w_zpsqo93tmqf.jpg

Love it!

After a Wonderworld 7, it's awkward posting something else..... but I just realized I never shared this one yet. I don't have many books that I call grails that I can also conceivably afford..... I felt like I lucked out on this one, having been looking for a decent mid grade copy for years. Ritter posted it on his website late one night and I just happened to be looking...... I don't think my fingers have ever made it through a checkout faster lol .... I've loved Fine for a long time, especially these Nationals for some reason. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

gIu4yqF.jpg

Such a beauty Jim… :cloud9:

Now I need to repost mine… lol

(It has a reglossed cover but I don’t care!)

DrzQ6Nbh.jpg

Congrats that is a beauty

That one was up for auction a few months ago, wasn't it?

Just out of curiosity, why is it a 4.5? Looks absolutely amazing for the grade. Great pickup.

Thanks comicjack and october.

Not sure why it sits at 4.5. There might be a bit of a spine split, though it's hard to tell through this version of the plastic slab. Maybe I'll buy the grading notes, or just crack it out...

+3

Definitely a beautiful book with bright colors and certainly looks much nicer than the assigned CGC grade. :cloud9:

Any idea how much it costs for the Graders' Notes or is it possible to obtain this free of charge from the auction house? Does CGC always charge for their Graders's Notes or is the original submitter of the book entitled to free Graders' Notes? ???

Congrats that is a beauty

That one was up for auction a few months ago, wasn't it?

Just out of curiosity, why is it a 4.5? Looks absolutely amazing for the grade. Great pickup.

Thanks comicjack and october.

Not sure why it sits at 4.5. There might be a bit of a spine split, though it's hard to tell through this version of the plastic slab. Maybe I'll buy the grading notes, or just crack it out...

+3

Definitely a beautiful book with bright colors and certainly looks much nicer than the assigned CGC grade. :cloud9:

Any idea how much it costs for the Graders' Notes or is it possible to obtain this free of charge from the auction house? Does CGC always charge for their Graders's Notes or is the original submitter of the book entitled to free Graders' Notes? ???

...original submitter is entitled now..... but there was a brief period in which they were not. GOD BLESS....

...I believe the cost is/was $ 15........

Apparently the cost also depends on how much the book was valued at, at the time of original submission!?!

Moments like this make me think that there are some very good arguments for the CBCS model of certification. Much more transparency in the grading process.

They made a good decision to put them on a searchable database.... notes would probably still be free at CGC if they had set theirs up that way..... but they were paying the salaries of, like 4 employees per week to provide grading notes, non stop, over the phone.... so I can't really fault them. GOD BLESS...

7 & 8 are beasts--in each case, i'm showing my upgrade.

Saw the Church copies of 7 and 8. They were just incredible. Especially the 7. Amazing colors.

Here's my 8. Tough issue. Would love to upgrade someday.

001%205_zpsphzzdnd5.jpg

Saw the Church copies of 7 and 8. They were just incredible. Especially the 7. Amazing colors.

001%205_zpsphzzdnd5.jpg

Geez Andy, I think just about everyone would be happy with that nice copy! :baiting:

mmen7.jpg

Another nice looking copy from your collection! :cloud9:

Although my personal preference is for issue 8 with the bright red cover, I guess issue 7's demand is pushed a bit higher since it has the first cover appearance for the Blue Beetle. (thumbs u

001%205_zpsphzzdnd5.jpg

When you upgrade, please keep me in mind!

I posted this over in the Fox thread, but thought I'd get some feedback from the Lou Fine aficionados (and -- give this thread a bump):

I was looking at the gorilla on the cover of Wonder Comics #2. Typical weekend amusement.

While viewing said gorilla, his right hand caught my attention. It looked like someone had scribbled some letters around the knuckle creases. At first, I was concerned that my recent purchase had some kid's handwriting on it. But looking at other copies online, the same scribbles could be seen. So this is part of the artwork.

Perhaps I'm imagining things, but it seems like the scribbles spell out L-E-F. Or possibly, L-K-F. This of course is the initials of Mr. Louis K. Fine.  Is it possible that he sneaked in his initials on his very first comic book cover?? (Gino and Sqeggs over in the Fox thread both find it plausible...) Any additional feedback from the pundits would be most welcome!

58e009ba34e64_ScreenShot2017-04-01at3_05_25PM.thumb.png.079cbe13bcc6452ce39903319ea47c38.png