• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Celebrate Dell'Otto!
15 15

4,993 posts in this topic

December preorder for February IVX #5 variant cover by Dell'otto dcbs selling for $100

Since this one is 1:50, I reckon you're guaranteed to get it at that price since you're essentially paying for 50 of the regular covers. Guess DCBS is expecting this one to be pretty popular.

December preorder for February IVX #5 variant cover by Dell'otto dcbs selling for $100

Since this one is 1:50, I reckon you're guaranteed to get it at that price since you're essentially paying for 50 of the regular covers. Guess DCBS is expecting this one to be pretty popular.

large group of people hitting them hard on all the Dell'otto's variants that come out, they will price it according to demand.

$100 on a 1:50 is very high compared to traditional 1:50 pricing.

large group of people hitting them hard on all the Dell'otto's variants that come out, they will price it according to demand.

$100 on a 1:50 is very high compared to traditional 1:50 pricing.

I figure that might be the only way they can guarantee that everyone who preorders the variant gets a copy. Seems like the chase variant pricing is based on their expected demand for both variant and regular covers.

Wild Storm #1 Jim Lee 1:50 $75

Wild Storm #1 B&W 1:100 $150

Kingpin #1 Sienkiewicz 1:50 $50

Elektra #1 Sienkiewicz 1:50 $100

Bullseye #1 Sienkiewicz 1:50 $100

IvX #4 Dodson 1:50 $50

IvX #5 Dell'Otto 1:50 $100

For the Dell'Otto, I think they're making you pay a small margin on the 50 regular covers, too. They probably figure they can't sell all the regulars they have to buy just to get the Dell'Otto.

DCBS is price gouging based on Dell'Otto's popularity.

A 1:50 variant for a Marvel Event series is very easy to get.

I wouldnt say they are price gouging, its just capitalism supply/demand.

Certain Faux News comic sites and groups have created a dell'otto bubble, so all his variants get sold out on DCBS quickly. Raising the price to prevent it from selling out isnt really price gouging, just proper business sense.

Eventually the Pump-n-Dumps won't be able to shill Dell'Otto's books any higher and a new equilibrium point will be found.

Edited by CBT

Certain Faux News comic sites and groups have created a dell'otto bubble, so all his variants get sold out on DCBS quickly. Raising the price to prevent it from selling out isnt really price gouging, just proper business sense.

Eventually the Pump-n-Dumps won't be able to shill Dell'Otto's books any higher and a new equilibrium point will be found.

Like this thread that is at 150+ pages?

This pretty much. The lower the price point on a highly desirable item, then the more people are going to buy that item.

Here's a hypothetical scenario:

The Dell'Otto goes for $50 instead of $100 and at the lower price point, there are now 100 people who order the variant. If there are only 1000 orders for the regular cover, DCBS would only have 20 Dell'Otto variants available leaving 80 preorders high and dry.

In order to fulfill all the 100 variant preorders, DCBS would have to purchase 5,000 of the regular covers of which 4,000 would go unsold. Max Standard discount for Marvel is 59%.

Revenue:

1,000 * $2.39 + 100 * $50 = $7,390

Cost:

5,000 * $3.99 * 41% + 100 * $3.99 * 41% = $8,343

Operating at a loss? Typically not good business practice.

This is strictly an artist appreciation thread

Oh, well that clears it up then.

Oh, well that clears it up then.

In fairness there are at least 10 pictures I can think of posted to appreciate.