• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Motion Pictures Funny Weekly #1 for auction. Guesses?
1 1

126 posts in this topic

A page from Overstreet Guide 10 (1980). Says 5 copies were known at the time. Red Raven 1 :cloud9:

olshevsky%20page%20timely2_zpszgyyzdul.jpg

I don't hear too much about Red Raven 1 anymore when elite Timelys are discussed. At one point (witness the above) it was right up there. Same point re Tough Kid Squad 1.

What, if anything, has happened to those two books?

Edited by pemart1966

A page from Overstreet Guide 10 (1980). Says 5 copies were known at the time. Red Raven 1 :cloud9:

I don't hear too much about Red Raven 1 anymore when elite Timelys are discussed. At one point (witness the above) it was right up there. Same point re Tough Kid Squad 1.

sadly, without a Hollywood -script, that book or character gets left behind. RR1 features Jack Kirby's 1st signed work for Timely which should mean a lot to the Timely or Kirby enthusiast. Stan was fortunate that his 1st work for Timely landed in a premier character and title.

sadly, without a Hollywood -script, that book or character gets left behind. RR1 features Jack Kirby's 1st signed work for Timely which should mean a lot to the Timely or Kirby enthusiast. Stan was fortunate that his 1st work for Timely landed in a premier character and title.

Perhaps in some cases but has a lack of a movie hurt either Sub-Mariner 1 or MPFW 1?

Perhaps in some cases but has a lack of a movie hurt either Sub-Mariner 1 or MPFW 1?

They certainly have risen in price. Just compare all the Timely Keys. Cap 1 with several movies has got nuts the rest of the books havent rusen to much. Movies increase the popularity of a character which in turn creates demand which results in higher prices. Sometimes the demand keeps going and sometimes it crashes. Generally this doesnt impact gold as much as silver and later books.

I dont see Red Raven even doing much bc of limited sales and no main character. MPF is just to rare and with such limited sales an increase in price is very hard.

James G

$20K just means MPFW is now equivalent to Action #1 coverless missing 6 pages (unless actually missing 3 wraps or 12 pages, as not that clear from the online description). Can't be over priced if this is 'true market value.' :wishluck:

Do you guys think it would be a long time before another copy shows up after this one?

I would expect so, which is probably what's driving up the price on this one despite its problems.

I dont think so. The book is nice but not this copy. 15k for missing pgs No way. I think the fact that its Overstreet Copy is why its so high or new people in the market that dont know just my 40 years input

If it ended at 15k , would that be considered a good price for the buyer?

My prediction is 15k to 20k based on the pent up demand, relative scarcity, historic significance, and recent seemingly high prices for key books over that last several auction. Again, not a book I would spend that kind of dough on. If it had a Submariner cover, it would go for a much higher price.

When I first saw this cover, I immediately thought it might be a file copy because of the X. Seems like something that would have been done in the office to designate the cover in some way. Since they found a coverless in the Jacquet files, another file copy could conceivably have 3 missing pages. Therefore, some collectors might not be thinking of this copy as an incomplete, but perhaps an edited office copy, especially since the included pages are proofs.

Much as it pains me to say it, the Kirby connection doesn't seem to do much for books these days.

100% agree

That's unfortunate because another tidbit about Red Raven 1 is that it contains the first Kirby renderings of Sub-Mariner and Human Torch in two small ads (Marvel Mystery 8 added for comparison)

red%20raven%20panel%20vs%20marvel%208_zpsf0xqgoh9.jpg

red%20raven%20human%20torch%20plug_zpsbntrl2wj.jpg

Much as it pains me to say it, the Kirby connection doesn't seem to do much for books these days.

100% agree

That's unfortunate because another tidbit about Red Raven 1 is that it contains the first Kirby renderings of Sub-Mariner and Human Torch in two small ads (Marvel Mystery 8 added for comparison)

I am going to say, like the Kirby rendering much more, but I like a lot of his stuff. Star Spangled 7 has to be one of my absolute favorite books done by him.

100% agree

I am going to say, like the Kirby rendering much more, but I like a lot of his stuff. Star Spangled 7 has to be one of my absolute favorite books done by him.

Not me. I'll take the Everett/Burgos version any day.

Wonder why they had two different depictions of the same house ad? Anyone know the story behind that?

Edited by pemart1966

100% agree

Not me. I'll take the Everett/Burgos version any day.

Wonder why they had two different depictions of the same house ad? Anyone know the story behind that?

Those two house ads are the last panels of Red Raven 1 stories. Maybe Kirby had to fill up some panels. Just curious guys, if we could get back to 1939 in our time machines, which of these designs would you have picked?

Marvel%201%20with%20new%20MYSTERY%20logo%20COMPARISON_zps4lukcuc0.jpg

Edited by Ameri