• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Celebrate Dell'Otto!
15 15

4,993 posts in this topic

Hey now..

Just received my Dell'Otto Marvel Secret Work today from Italy :banana:

20161128_192819_zpskrl4eruz.jpg

This version came with this limited print and his autograph in the interior.

20161128_192756_zpslkyysmeo.jpg

Can't wait for the kids to go to bed to start looking through... :whee:

Congrats on the purchase! With Christmas around the corner, I just put this on my list.

I've recently come to the conclusion that a Dell Otto illustrated Spider Man Anything is my favorite Spider Man Anything

Fixed it for you :P

Jerome

lol, this is true

Just saw this thread today and I very much respect the thread and think it is quite cool but the CBT gentleman is way off in thinking that this thread caused the increase in Dell Otto books. He had a few books that sold well prior to the article about his variants earlier this year. That article was in Jan and this thread started nearly one month later. Maybe it was a coincidence but it is highly doubtful no one here saw that article. Prices ballooned the week of that article and weeks after it not in late Feb. Just wanted to put that out since CBT seems to think so much of this place. Great thread and to those not CBT, apologies for taking up space with this. Back to your regularly scheduled programming.

Just saw this thread today and I very much respect the thread and think it is quite cool but the CBT gentleman is way off in thinking that this thread caused the increase in Dell Otto books. He had a few books that sold well prior to the article about his variants earlier this year. That article was in Jan and this thread started nearly one month later. Maybe it was a coincidence but it is highly doubtful no one here saw that article. Prices ballooned the week of that article and weeks after it not in late Feb. Just wanted to put that out since CBT seems to think so much of this place. Great thread and to those not CBT, apologies for taking up space with this. Back to your regularly scheduled programming.

So your argument is that this thread didn't drive up prices on Dell'otto books but instead an article on another site written a month earlier did?

Somewhat. Not in the sense that I wish to give credit either way because that is not the point. I just think credit should be given where it is due that is all. That column in Jan made collectors as a whole aware of those books. Yes I am sure many here and elsewhere were aware but demand was not enough to increase the value very much and there is no argument a month is quite a long time concerning comic news.

Exactly. This is a board for discussing comic books. That would by extension include comic book artists. Threads and articles don't "drive up prices" of books.

That is a myth and it needs to be put to bed.

And if anyone wants to test the theory, start a "Rob Liefield Appreciation Thread" and let's see what that does for his books. lol

-J.

Exactly. This is a board for discussing comic books. That would by extension include comic book artists. Threads and articles don't "drive up prices" of books.

And if anyone wants to test the theory, start a "Rob Liefield Appreciation Thread" and let's see what that does for his books. lol

-J.

Its not a myth and liefeld variants do pretty well.

lol. Not all articles, colums, photos, or threads increase prices on books, that is the best thing I've read on here all week. I agree completely but if books do increase because of any of the forms mentioned above lets hope no one is upset. Edited by MarleyMarl91

-J.

Either you are sincere in that thought and its due to never selling any of your books

or you be just naïve. Unsure which.

lol. Not all articles, colums, photos, or threads increase prices on books, that is the best thing I've read on here all week. I agree completely but if books do increase because of any of the forms mentioned above lets hope no one is upset.

Not everyone is a good salesman. Write an article, that might get a thousand views, with any sort of meaningful reason as to why a book might go up in price and all you have to do is convince 5 or 10 of the readers to buy into it. That establishes a noticeable increase in frequency of sales on eBay, which leads to price increases on new listings. Single posts have led to tens of eBay listings being purchased in minutes and have also cleared retailers out of hundreds, sometimes thousands, of copies of a book in a matter of hours.

But lets keep pretending this doesn't happen, because someone who never sells his books doesn't think it happens.

-J.

Either you are sincere in that thought and its due to never selling any of your books

or you be just naïve. Unsure which.

Uhm, yeah. There are plenty of boardies who sucker people by pimping books. Just look around. There are a couple who make their entire living off doing just that. Weird comment JD.

I buy modern comics and variants usually because I like the covers. I have DEFINITELY read a thread, saw a cover based on it and then went out to eBay or comic website to purchase it. I can see popular posts driving some sales.

-J.

Start an appreciation thread? I started one and you asked me to change the name because it was confusing for people (shrug)

-J.

Half of the posts I read in modern are concerning the value - past, present, projection - of something or other. There's a strong interest in these topics here, of course people are here looking for that sort of information and speculation, and of course they act on it.

-J.

It will devolve into a bashing thread very quickly, just like the last one, and the one previous to that, and...

There's lots of hate out there for Liefeld. Of course, despite that, his work still sells and people line up to see him at conventions.

hm Actually, Liefeld and Dell'Otto have a lot in common:

- Sub-par storytelling ability

- Focus on pin-up work (yeah, this is kind of an extension of the first point)

- Hate drawing feet

- Extreme delays on too many of their books