• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Recent Pre-Code Purchases
41 41

22,226 posts in this topic

A recent and unexpected cool addition to my spider web cover collection. A book I was unfamiliar with till our own Pat Calhoun posted a copy that caught my eye. I immediately searched and found one for sale. a Fox book from 1950 that contains the book length story "The Black Tarantula" that was retitled and reprinted in Startling Terror Tales #11 as "The Ghost Spider of Death!!". I never knew the STT 11 story was a reprint till now. Entertaining story and some great art and a splash posted below...

A%20Feature%20Presentation%20%205_zpsatksleqm.jpg

Great cover! It also fits into your top hat cover collection. (thumbs u

It's hard to resist a "girl in test tube" cover.

Spokane copy

TalesHorror6.jpg

Just picked this one up, not 100% it's pre-code. Going to have to research.

IMG_3565.jpg

Beware 9, from May 1954 (if in doubt, there's always the rather awesome Grand Comics Database).

It's pre-code all right. The absence of a certain Comics Code Authority stamp in the top right corner also confirms that. Plus the mention of a vampire, a skeleton driver, the words "weird" and "eerie" on the cover, etc. all definitely verboten post-code (well, until the early 1970s at least).

IMG_3565.jpg

Beware 9, from May 1954 (if in doubt, there's always the rather awesome Grand Comics Database).

It's pre-code all right. The absence of a certain Comics Code Authority stamp in the top right corner also confirms that. Plus the mention of a vampire, a skeleton driver, the words "weird" and "eerie" on the cover, etc. all definitely verboten post-code (well, until the early 1970s at least).

Thank you. I bought it with no research outside of looking at the cover and thinking it looked pretty cool.

IMG_3565.jpg

Thank you. I bought it with no research outside of looking at the cover and thinking it looked pretty cool.

It's a pretty good title, and no serious PCH collector would ignore this series (and the Youthful run of three issues). I have the complete set, and I'd rate at least a third of the books as classics.

IMG_3565.jpg

Love it! I'm about halfway thru putting this run together, and so far all of the issues have great content and most of the covers are cool too, this one included.