• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is Batman 227 the "key" Neal Adams Batman book to have?
4 4

2,411 posts in this topic

I know its cliche, but I still love 251 probably the best. That comic was one of the ones that made me fall in love with comic covers. need to get it.

I bought a CGC 9.0 O/W in 2011 for $115. Can't believe how much it raised in value since. I was lucky.

Love the story. The cover, however, leaves something to be desired. The way the Joker is standing over Gotham, he would more than have to dislocate his hip. His left (your right) leg is drawn completely in the wrong angle. It rubs my OCD the wrong way.

6 hours ago, Brian48 said:

That's 'cause you bought every darn copy. :)

Love that 9.2. 

On average, that's only 1 copy per year since I got back into the hobby.  I think I'll stop once I get to 10.    I have to admit, having a shortbox full would be nice, too.  

13 hours ago, NoMan said:

is it a good story on the inside?

Adams only did cover, story is pretty good, could be described as gothic romance.

Spoiler free story note: Alfred's niece sends him a letter, alluding to trouble at a gothic mansion, which brings The Batman in to investigate.  Better hope that you're not a hot chick born at midnight on all hallows eve . . .

Haven't rec'd my copy of the 2017 OSPG yet, but I've looked at some of the updated prices for the books I track.  I thought it was interesting to note that Bats 232 has finally taken over the top spot as the number #1 Neal Adams Bats book in the run.  I supposed it's been long over due, but Bats 227 is no longer king of the hill.  Based on some of the sales over the last year, I think this is one case where I agree with OSPG (at least as far placement is in concerned).

Anyway, here's the top 10.  I still think they are underestimating Tec 395 though.  Maybe there just isn't enough sales recorded over the course of the year.  This book is very tough to come by in high grades.

Capture.JPG

Edited by Brian48
type-O

50 minutes ago, Brian48 said:

Haven't rec'd my copy of the 2017 OSPG yet, but I've looked at some of the updated prices for the books I track.  I thought it was interesting to note that Bats 232 has finally taken over the top spot as the number #1 Neal Adams Bats book in the run.  I supposed it's been long over due, but Bats 227 is no longer king of the hill.  Based on some of the sales over the last year, I think this is one case where I agree with OSPG (at least as far placement is in concerned).

Anyway, here's the top 10.  I still think they are underestimating Tec 395 though.  Maybe there just isn't enough sales recorded over the course of the year.  This book is very tough to come by in high grades.

Capture.JPG

I can find many copies of 232 during the year in the specified grade for less than 227, 251 or Tec 411's in the same grade. 

Yeah, the pricing is screwy.  I'm guessing they are not considering any graded sales and only focusing on raw.  Had to adjust the top 10 a bit.  Forgot about Tec 405.  This the only "key" book that I don't have slabbed.

Capture.JPG

4 hours ago, scooter99 said:

I can find many copies of 232 during the year in the specified grade for less than 227, 251 or Tec 411's in the same grade. 

This is true, but I would put forward the idea that 232 holds its value quite well in spite of the fact that there's a much larger high-grade supply circulating in the market to keep prices in check. No way that disparity would be there if the census numbers were closer. My love is split between 232, 251 and 'Tec 400, but I feel 232 probably could be considered the "key" book of the era: O'Neil story which kicks off one of the defining arcs of the era, Adams interiors with iconic Adams cover, and 1st appearance of a major Rogues Gallery villain. That book is stacked. The question is: why are there so many high-grade 232's compared to other books from the era?

232 hasn't always been top dog of its era, if it could be considered that now. It was totally off my radar when I was collecting in high school and college (251 was my grail, but I didn't really venture much further back than that). I know this is cruel, but I pulled out some trusty Overstreet Monthlies from 1991 and 1994 (the only ones I could find quickly) to see if 232 was an acknowledged key back then. Here's a comparison with Brian's 2017 Top 12 just to see where the hobby was on these books.

1988chart.jpg.6d66c7a2e4e2e4d99da24a29dfc5dd10.jpg

First of all, wow, reading these guides now kills my eyes. Was I really able to read all this mice-type at some point in time? In my 1991 guide, 232 was only noted as "Adams Art" and lumped in with 237, the Reaper issue, at $22 (although both sit higher than surrounding Adams issues). By 1994 they did note the origin and intro of Ra's in 232, yet both issues moved up equally through 1994. 251 and 234 were the big keys based on the prices and 234 pulled away by 1994 (yeah, we hadn't seen Tommy Lee Jones massacre Two-Face on the big screen...yet). Anything with Adams interiors carried a premium over those with just covers by Neal (hence 227, 405 and 411 sit at the bottom). Obviously, the 1st apps of the League and Talia were not noted in either issue (but the Beatles issue was).

I wonder when 232 broke out (Batman Begins, maybe?) and when did 227's cover leap-frog so many key content books like 1st Man-Bat, revival of Two-Face and possibly the definitive Joker issue? Anybody else want to add to the chart?

1 hour ago, Martin Sinescu said:

This is true, but I would put forward the idea that 232 holds its value quite well in spite of the fact that there's a much larger high-grade supply circulating in the market to keep prices in check. No way that disparity would be there if the census numbers were closer. My love is split between 232, 251 and 'Tec 400, but I feel 232 probably could be considered the "key" book of the era: O'Neil story which kicks off one of the defining arcs of the era, Adams interiors with iconic Adams cover, and 1st appearance of a major Rogues Gallery villain. That book is stacked. The question is: why are there so many high-grade 232's compared to other books from the era?

232 hasn't always been top dog of its era, if it could be considered that now. It was totally off my radar when I was collecting in high school and college (251 was my grail, but I didn't really venture much further back than that). I know this is cruel, but I pulled out some trusty Overstreet Monthlies from 1991 and 1994 (the only ones I could find quickly) to see if 232 was an acknowledged key back then. Here's a comparison with Brian's 2017 Top 12 just to see where the hobby was on these books.

1988chart.jpg.6d66c7a2e4e2e4d99da24a29dfc5dd10.jpg

First of all, wow, reading these guides now kills my eyes. Was I really able to read all this mice-type at some point in time? In my 1991 guide, 232 was only noted as "Adams Art" and lumped in with 237, the Reaper issue, at $22 (although both sit higher than surrounding Adams issues). By 1994 they did note the origin and intro of Ra's in 232, yet both issues moved up equally through 1994. 251 and 234 were the big keys based on the prices and 234 pulled away by 1994 (yeah, we hadn't seen Tommy Lee Jones massacre Two-Face on the big screen...yet). Anything with Adams interiors carried a premium over those with just covers by Neal (hence 227, 405 and 411 sit at the bottom). Obviously, the 1st apps of the League and Talia were not noted in either issue (but the Beatles issue was).

I wonder when 232 broke out (Batman Begins, maybe?) and when did 227's cover leap-frog so many key content books like 1st Man-Bat, revival of Two-Face and possibly the definitive Joker issue? Anybody else want to add to the chart?

I completely agree that 232 is the most important book.  Perhaps the print run was larger and I'm sure that the cover color helps in plentiful high grade examples.  That being said, 232 is a bugger to find perfectly centered.  I wish I hadn't taken a 20 year hiatus from the hobby.  The 91 and 94 prices would have saved me a lot of dough. 

Well honestly they are all great books, but I did find it interesting coming back to this hobby 3 years ago and finding 227 was worth a bit more than 232. I just wished I had bought stuff like this back in the late 80's and early 90's.

9 hours ago, FutureFlash said:

Well honestly they are all great books, but I did find it interesting coming back to this hobby 3 years ago and finding 227 was worth a bit more than 232. I just wished I had bought stuff like this back in the late 80's and early 90's.

It was s till cheap in the late 90s and early 00s. I had 12-15 copies of Batman #227 in VF to VF/NM (maybe a NM- on a couple) that I paid no more than $40 (most in the $20 - $25 range) for back then. I sold them way too early. doh!

5 hours ago, kimik said:

It was s till cheap in the late 90s and early 00s. I had 12-15 copies of Batman #227 in VF to VF/NM (maybe a NM- on a couple) that I paid no more than $40 (most in the $20 - $25 range) for back then. I sold them way too early. doh!

I need to build a time machine! :insane: On a side note I can't wait to get my 227 back from cgc.

Edited by FutureFlash

WOAH!  HOLD THE PRESSED EVERYONE!

The data i pulled off of HA must not have finished updating or something. I just got the new edition today and the numbers I have in the printed edition are NOT the above .  227 is still on top, albeit sharing that spot with another book.  

I'll update the table as soon as I get home. Sorry about that. 

Edited by Brian48