• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Suggest some representative Bronze Keys?
2 2

43 posts in this topic

Hey guys,

You probably saw my thread about how I'm almost done with my X-men mini-run from Giant Size X-men 1 through X-men 101 in higher grade. I really enjoyed putting together a higher grade Bronze "short set".

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=9659368#Post9659368

Some of the responses referenced other good series, and inspired me. In the past, I used to collect first appearances of my favorite characters. But I've found I really like to collect higher graded books. And now those first appearances are insanely expensive. So I was thinking maybe I'll collect one interesting high grade book from the Bronze age for all of my favorite characters. Like 9.0 or better and as key as possible in the $100 to $300 range.

So for Daredevil, I can get the 1st Bullseye Appearance. For the Hulk, maybe I can get the 1st Sampson. For Doctor Strange, I'll probably get a Doctor Strange #1. For Batman, maybe the Gothos cover.

But for other main characters, I'm kind of hazy on what to look for. So anyone have some suggestions? What's a good Key or Semi-Key Superman from the Bronze era that will cost about $200 in a 9.0 or better? What about Thor?

If you had to pick one book to represent a character from the Bronze Age, what are a few good suggestions to look at?

Thanks,

Steve

Edited by Westy Steve

Some keys or semi-keys in your price range in 9.0:

Marvel Premiere #1 (Origin Warlock)

Tomb of Dracula #1 (First Dracula)

Marvel Spotlight #2 (First Werewolf By Night)

Avengers #144 (Patsy Walker becomes Hellcat)

Avengers #93 (probably not a key or semi-key, but a great book, Adams art, and start of a classic story)

Avengers #83 (1st Valkyrie)

Swamp Thing #1

Marvel Premiere 47 (1st Scott Lang as Ant Man)

Iron Man 128 (Demon in a Bottle)

Avengers 87 (Origin of T'Challa/Black Panther - also a sweet cover)

Edited by Vorpal

Avengers #144 (Patsy Walker becomes Hellcat)

---

Wow, can't believe that has become a $200 book (there is a 9.2 WP up for $199.99 with $12 s/h). But now that she's relevant on TV and the comics and her bona fide weird history in the marvel universe for 30 years before she became a super hero..it makes total sense.

The question I have is, when is Millie the Model going to mutate and develop super powers? (They already explained Heddy, Patsy's pal, and Buzz, her ex-boyfriend turned villian)

I really really really need to get Netflix. I am missing far too much.

Superman 233.

That's a cool book. Never seen that one either.

Yeah, it doesn't get the love GL/GA 76 does, and it faded in importance for a while, but for a while it was a pretty big deal, bringing Superman into the modern (bronze) world in several meaningful ways.

It's come back more recently thanks to the iconic cover. So if you're looking for a STANDOUT representation of bronze, you can't do much better. If you're looking for an AVERAGE representation of bronze, there's tons of choices.

I agree, and couldn't think of a more representative Bronze Age Supes book.

I was at an auction recently and watched two bidders go toe-to-toe over a raw NM- copy that ended at $455! That was a crazy outlier price for a raw copy of that book. Granted, as a Superman fan and collector it was nice to see the excitement, but damn...

Shazam #1, you can get a CGC 9.0 for less than $100 plus Superman is on the cover

Punisher - Amazing Spider-Man 135 2nd full appearance and a great cover

Howard The Duck #1 - gotta have it!

Captain Marvel #29 - One of Starlin's best and a classic pose that was used on 7-11 cups and t-shirts

Thor #337, just on the cusp between Bronze and Copper, Simonson's Beta Ray Bill picture is iconic but if you want a strict 25 center bronze, #225 with Firelord is fantastic

Hulk - #197, Man-Thing by Wrightson. Nuff said

Hero for Hire 48(First meetup between Luke Cage and Iron Fist)

Heroes for Hire 50(Official start of Heroes for Hire)

You can occasionally find a 9.0 Amazing Adventures 11(First modern Beast) in the ballpark of 200 bucks.

X-Men 137(Death of Jean Grey)

X-Men 141(Days of Future Past, iconic cover)

Iron Fist 1 is currently running a little hot, in my opinion, with all the speculation, but is a good key for the character that can be gotten in that price range.

That's what I've got off the top of my head that hasn't been mentioned already. :P

Edited by AMightyEsquilax

Avengers #83 (1st Valkyrie)

Swamp Thing #1

Marvel Premiere 47 (1st Scott Lang as Ant Man)

Iron Man 128 (Demon in a Bottle)

Avengers 87 (Origin of T'Challa/Black Panther - also a sweet cover)

I was going to say Avengers 87 for certain!

I will stick with Panther on affordable bronze keys with much room for growth:

Jungle Action #6 (1st Kill monger and true start of solo stories)

Jungle Action 19 (1st KKK story)

Iron Man #30 mint- sold for $15,000 9.8. 1st app. of nobody. :tonofbricks:

Highest grade on the census. Certainly not a book that's easy to find in high grade.

I'm not justifying the 15,000 sale but not everybody pays premium for "1st appearance" only.

Most 1st appearance of minor characters/villains go up momentarily...there's no long term future.

Word to the wise...1st appearance is not always what it seems and there are plenty of "keys" that are not.