• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Darren / Comic Depot - Saratoga Springs NY has passed away
1 1

19 posts in this topic

I'd only dealt with him a few times but he seemed to be a decent human being. I think he's roughly my age and has passed as of Nov 25 unexpectedly by heart attack.

Funeral plans are as follows (as per Facebook)

RIP

Hello everyone, we are so sorry the shop has been closed. On November 25th the owner of the shop and friend to us all Darren passed away from an unexpected heart attack. He is gone way too soon and we are all in mourning.

Services will be at Tunison Funeral Home 105 Lake Ave Saratoga Springs. Calling hours for the services will be 5pm to 9pm on December 2nd.

We encourage you to stop in and pay your respects any way you feel comfortable. Feel free to bring your comic spirit.

Hero costumes are welcome if that's what makes you comfortable. Darren would have wanted us to celebrate his life not mourn his death.

Thank you all for your kind comments

Just learned of this today as well. Vintage, are you in upstate NY too?

I was floored; he was only 39. Darren was a terrific guy, and he leaves behind two sweet little children. I'm told it was Thanksgiving Day, actually.

I've known Darren for a few years and have bought from, sold to, and traded with him frequently. He was always fair, straightforward, and generous. If a book had cooled off, he had no problem drastically reducing a marked price upon request, but if you spotted a bargain, the book never suddenly became not for sale. He built long-term business relationships that way, all old-school with a smile and a handshake.

In fact, I looked at my phone earlier to determine the last time I saw him (via texts that we exchanged to plan to meet up at the shop). It was Oct 28, and we concluded a couple trades. I can't recall how it came up exactly, but Darren, Chris (the store manager, another awesome guy) and I were joking about proper disposition of a massive collection upon one's passing. I think it was Chris who said "They go with ya, like the ancient Egyptians." Darren laughed and said it would be great for us to go out with Viking funerals, burn us on our stacks of books. He had that kind of sense of humor.

He brought humor and positive energy to all he did, and he will be sorely missed! My condolences to Chris, Lowell, the 'Stache (the Comic Depot family) and Darren's own family.

Paul Harding did an amazing sketch of Darren walking on a beach with his children, and its up on his Facebook page. Many pix and stories being shared there, it seems. Paul, if you're reading, prints as a fund-raiser for Darren's kids would be awesome!

You will be missed, my friend.

I am truly saddened. I just spent time with Darren at the show in NJ last week. He's been a customer for a decade or so, and just one of the greatest guys I've done business with. Always nice and good-natured. I feel heart-broken for his family.

I'm not. I'm in Canada but I've dealt with Darren over the years and from the conversations we exchanged via internet I just thought he came across as a good guy and it was worth mentioning.

I was floored; he was only 39. Darren was a terrific guy, and he leaves behind two sweet little children. I'm told it was Thanksgiving Day, actually.

I've known Darren for a few years and have bought from, sold to, and traded with him frequently. He was always fair, straightforward, and generous. If a book had cooled off, he had no problem drastically reducing a marked price upon request, but if you spotted a bargain, the book never suddenly became not for sale. He built long-term business relationships that way, all old-school with a smile and a handshake.

In fact, I looked at my phone earlier to determine the last time I saw him (via texts that we exchanged to plan to meet up at the shop). It was Oct 28, and we concluded a couple trades. I can't recall how it came up exactly, but Darren, Chris (the store manager, another awesome guy) and I were joking about proper disposition of a massive collection upon one's passing. I think it was Chris who said "They go with ya, like the ancient Egyptians." Darren laughed and said it would be great for us to go out with Viking funerals, burn us on our stacks of books. He had that kind of sense of humor.

He brought humor and positive energy to all he did, and he will be sorely missed! My condolences to Chris, Lowell, the 'Stache (the Comic Depot family) and Darren's own family.

Paul Harding did an amazing sketch of Darren walking on a beach with his children, and its up on his Facebook page. Many pix and stories being shared there, it seems. Paul, if you're reading, prints as a fund-raiser for Darren's kids would be awesome!

You will be missed, my friend.

Ridiculous age to go. Life can be so cruel. I feel for his family. God help them.

It's so sad.

Louise's work is related to medical underwriting and statistics.

According to her, statistically, men with Latin genes have a much greater chance of heart attack or stroke at a young age. I can't remember the numbers but when she explained them to me they were staggering.

I'm not sure whether Darren fell into this statistic but with a name like Carrara it is possible.

If you're of Latin descent it might be worth staying on top of something like this with your family doctor.

Just stopped in the shop last week. Mood is somber but the staff and Darren's family are determined to keep it going. Chris, the manager, has people working on restocking back-issue bins from their deep storage. Anybody in the region, please stop in and give a little moral support. It's a great shop, and Darren and Chris are true comics guys.

I left the really sharp Conan #1 on the wall for ya....

Just stopped in the shop last week. Mood is somber but the staff and Darren's family are determined to keep it going. Chris, the manager, has people working on restocking back-issue bins from their deep storage. Anybody in the region, please stop in and give a little moral support. It's a great shop, and Darren and Chris are true comics guys.

I left the really sharp Conan #1 on the wall for ya....

I did not know him but if i was close to the shop i would leave something on the wall also sad :sorry:

Gang, I know this is unorthadox but being a dad I can sympathize with the family and am posting for their benefit.

Darren, the shop owner of Comic Depot in Saratoga Springs, NY died just over 2 years ago leaving behind two children. The shop closed down permanently last week and the shop was all that Darren left behind for his kids.

A pic of Darren with his two kids:

Darren.png.b5519588b7549d46177e0d959c5dc115.png

Seeing as how we have had fundraisers for those in the community in the past I thought that it was worth bumping this thread and posting this here. From Facebook:

In case you can't log into FB:

Spoiler

Good morning everyone,
Many of you have recently reached out to us and asked how you can help the family and if there is a go fund me. For those that would like to donate we have a link for the Darren Carrara Memorial Fund. All the money in this account goes straight to his children. Just click the link below and follow the steps. Thank you all so much for being the best people we could ask for.
-Christopher

Link to donate to Darren's fundraiser:

https://www.paypal.com/donate/?token=Ej0jq74pNVXHovRl131nMpULP4OjFWr4Ec_xKlAI3KWq8iOU2ntqeaabyAQZwUR67EK7K0&country.x=US&locale.x=US

7 hours ago, VintageComics said:

Gang, I know this is unorthadox but being a dad I can sympathize with the family and am posting for their benefit.

Darren, the shop owner of Comic Depot in Saratoga Springs, NY died just over 2 years ago leaving behind two children. The shop closed down permanently last week and the shop was all that Darren left behind for his kids.

A pic of Darren with his two kids:

Darren.png.b5519588b7549d46177e0d959c5dc115.png

Seeing as how we have had fundraisers for those in the community in the past I thought that it was worth bumping this thread and posting this here. From Facebook:

In case you can't log into FB:

Reveal hidden contents

Good morning everyone,
Many of you have recently reached out to us and asked how you can help the family and if there is a go fund me. For those that would like to donate we have a link for the Darren Carrara Memorial Fund. All the money in this account goes straight to his children. Just click the link below and follow the steps. Thank you all so much for being the best people we could ask for.
-Christopher

Link to donate to Darren's fundraiser:

https://www.paypal.com/donate/?token=Ej0jq74pNVXHovRl131nMpULP4OjFWr4Ec_xKlAI3KWq8iOU2ntqeaabyAQZwUR67EK7K0&country.x=US&locale.x=US

Done. wish them a Merry x-mas and Merry X-mas to you Roy.

Edited by woowoo

2 hours ago, Jimbo749 said:

I stopped in to the shop for their farewell party and heard some better news, they got a buyer and the store will remain open.

Wow, this must be ninth-hour breaking news! I was in the Wednesday before the party, and Chris and the crew were still under the impression Saturday was the farewell party. So glad to hear a deal got done. Any word on who? 

17 hours ago, Readcomix said:

Wow, this must be ninth-hour breaking news! I was in the Wednesday before the party, and Chris and the crew were still under the impression Saturday was the farewell party. So glad to hear a deal got done. Any word on who? 

It was nice to see, the store was pretty packed that day and they announced and introduced the new owner on the spot.

I didn't get there but I talked to Chris. He said the new owner is Jeff Watkins, who owns Cloud City Comics in Syracuse as well as a shop in the Philly area. Chris said he really likes Jeff and is very excited. Great news for Darren's family that the shop is sold, and great news for the upstate NY collecting community that the Comic Depot remains open!

14 minutes ago, Readcomix said:

I didn't get there but I talked to Chris. He said the new owner is Jeff Watkins, who owns Cloud City Comics in Syracuse as well as a shop in the Philly area. Chris said he really likes Jeff and is very excited. Great news for Darren's family that the shop is sold, and great news for the upstate NY collecting community that the Comic Depot remains open!

Thanks for the update, sound like the shop is in good hands. Hopefully they will still have a presence at Albany Comic and Toy Show in March.