• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Harry's Marvellous Meanderings through the Comic Book World
1 1

347 posts in this topic

Avengers #18 July 1965

My Copy - Grade 7.0

av18.jpg.8d040be975ff79751f98735c724ec4ed.jpg

Cover: 2.5/5 ~ Kinda busy & confusing. Why is Cap hurling sideways like a thrown mannequin? Why are the Avengers' names listed as though they were on a cinema hoarding? Why is Scarlet Witch in a test tube? Some of these questions are rhetorical :nyah: I do like the snatches of oriental design.

Art: 2.5/5 ~ Bang average. Nothing spectacular or particularly cringe-worthy. The Asian depictions were quite caricatured but as the more hideous elements were kept to the Communist soldiers/officials I'd have to say it was more of a political statement than a racial one. Nice to see some un-American architecture for a change although it was disappointingly brief.

Story: 1.5/5 ~ Ah, another tale of evil Asian communism. See, 1965 wasn't all mini-skirts, The Swim & Norwegian Wood. Oh no, there was also giant rock crushing, boulder throwing Commissars, incredibly stupid plane destination decisions and plot elements taken directly from a certain 1939 film about a small terrier and his Munchkins. Not that's an inherently bad thing but, c'mon, a robot powerful enough to beat the Avengers? Why didn't they build an army of them and take over the world? And how could Major Hoy/Oz Wizard control the robot quickly enough to counter the Avengers? Why did the Avengers land at, presumably, the country's main airport on their way to contacting the 'underground freedom movement'? Another badly plotted Avengers book, I'm afraid. I guess the change of ensemble haven't really helped things after all.

Quote of the Day ~ "Is this a gag? You call that baggy-looking pair of diapers your 'combat attire'?!!"

My assessment ~ Yeah, I was going to sell this anyway so no change there.

Thanks for reading!

Edited by Harry Lime

Update: JIM issues 103, 111, 113, 114 & 116 all sold. Yep, my heart is as cold as the Grey Gargoyle's now when it comes to these early Thor comics. It makes sense to reinvest the funds in titles I actually enjoy reading. So that means ASM, FF and one other (no spoilers, not reviewed my earliest copy yet) will be the bulk of my collection. Although saying that I have an almost complete ('cept for #165) run of SA/early BA Thor's so I'm still rooting for ya to turn it around Goldilocks!

Fantastic Four #40 July 1965

My Copy - Grade 2.0 Yes, another embarrassingly early purchase when grading was something teachers did after school.

ff40.jpg.6017f0e5d63a0e3e0316f0d1c4848b1b.jpg

Cover: 2/5 ~ Surprisingly dull for a Doom cover. Stan & Jack would have been better off going for the splash page instead which, whilst not being as great as #39, would still have been an improvement over this brown/grey-tone offering.

Art: 4.5/5 ~ While the cover may seem dull the interior approaches a masterpiece of dynamic, energy beamed, debris filled, explosive, pulsating action. There is so much to admire in this issue but the stand out panels have to be page 14; the re-transformation of the Thing. Superb work, Jack!

Story: 5/5 ~ Yep, FF 40 is the first book to get this accolade from my overly critical self. The heroism of our protagonists in tackling Doom in their headquarters, knowing that they have no powers, Doom controls all of the security/ Reed's devices in the Baxter Building and knows they are coming is astonishing and just a bit humbling. Daredevil plays his part too as he's hopelessly mismatched against Doom but manages to be enough of a distraction that the FF manage to make it to the top floor. All of this would have been enough for one great issue but once Reed acquires the Electronic Stimulator (previously seen in FF#37) and restores the FF's powers then the fun really begins. The epic battle between the Thing and Doom is incredible for it's belligerence and power. Ben's determination, bravery and humanity against Doom's many dastardly devices employed in the battle and his subsequent relenting from killing Doom encapsulates his character and cements his position from here on as the FF's foremost character.

Whereas some books have received 0/5 because I couldn't find any redeeming qualities, in this I couldn't find any negative ones. It is a wonderful comic in every aspect.

Quote of the Day ~ "Mister, maybe I'm just too dumb to collapse - - too ugly to die!! I'll let you figger out the reasons...! As fer me - - I finally got my paws on ya - - and nothin's gonna save ya now!"

My assessment ~ To do this book justice an upgrade is imperative.

Thanks for reading!

Edited by Harry Lime

Journey Into Mystery #118 July 1965

My Copy - Grade 5.5

jim118.jpg.90caeadf66160c2dd43d9f8f9f69a578.jpg

Cover: 3.5/5 ~ Thor does like his battle covers and this is simple but dramatic as we get our first glimpse of the Destroyer!

Art: 3.5/5 ~ Doesn't start off well with some mundane stuff in a jungle but really picks up with the 'discovery' of the Destroyer's temple. From then on it's a feast for the eyes with plenty of Asgard stuff, some great fighting action inside the temple and what is quite possibly the most awesome pair of pyjamas ever depicted.

odin%20pjs_zps4lgf2tiy.jpg

Odin really knows how to steal a scene even when he's asleep. :nyah:

Story: 3/5 ~ Quite confusing in the beginning. Was Thor in Africa or Asia? Couldn't work that one out and the contrivance of Loki's scheme to awake the Destroyer was mildly irritating but once the Destroyer was unleashed it was an entertaining tale. As mentioned before Thor needed tougher enemies and it would seem the Destroyer more than meets that criteria. He even manages to slice Mjolnir in two! Loki, seeing that his plan was working too well and will probably forfeit his own life through causing the death of Thor is panicked into seeking Odin's help. But as you can see nothing was going to wake the All-Father up from his after dinner nap. The issue ends on a real, 1930's serial type, cliffhanger although I have a sneaky suspicion Jack was laying the groundwork for the possible dramatic escape a couple of panels earlier. We shall see.

Quote of the Day ~ "He has released a bolt of elemental destructive power - - against which nothing can endure! It comes closer by the second! When it touches me, I'll be transformed into another element - - it shall be the end of mighty Thor!"

My assessment ~ I really liked the Destroyer as a kid and so for that reason (and Odin's funky PJ's) I think I'll keep his first appearance.

Thanks for reading!

Edited by Harry Lime

Amazing Spider-Man #27 August 1965

My Copy - Grade 1.8

asm27.jpg.953b4fe8b167971a3a04ad377725829f.jpg

Cover: 4/5 ~ Spidey in chains, surrounded by all those goons, the Crime-Master and the Goblin? Instant buy!

Art: 4.5/5 ~ Aside from the usual Ditko delights; characterisation, great action sequences, NY as seen from your friendly local etc. We also have a wonderful sequence under the pier and into the sewers and an awesome chain breaking panel on page 4 which reminded me strongly (subjective time put aside for a second) of a famous sequence which occurs a few issues hence.

Story: 4/5 ~ Slightly strange structure in that most of the action occurs in the first half of the book and gets less and less as the issue goes on. Parker & Aunt May end up having a movie date on the final page! Anyway, Spidey is saved from a most precarious situation by his own incredible agility, even when chained, and the timely intervention of three cops with fists of iron. Later after a futile chase to capture the Crime-Master the story arc is wrapped up in a surprisingly low-key manner when the Crime-Master is killed, out of sight, on the rooftops near J. Jonah office by the police who were waiting for him. J. Jonah, Spidey and Foswell were in the office passively observing this, strange but realistic way to culminate the story. And conclusively proving that Foswell was not the Crime-Master despite Spidey's (and mine) suspicions.

Quote of the Day ~ "It's kinda funny - - in real life, when a villain is unmasked, he isn't always the butler, or the one you suspected! Sometimes he's a man you didn't even know!"

My assessment ~ Would love an upgrade but this will do until then.

Thanks for reading!

Edited by Harry Lime

Another enjoyable review, Harry.

The quote you chose is particularly interesting as it presages the reputed reason that Ditko and Lee went their separate ways after ASM 38, disagreeing on the Green Goblin's "secret identity".

Really, all these early Spideys are terrific.

Duffman_Comics said:
Another enjoyable review, Harry.

The quote you chose is particularly interesting as it presages the reputed reason that Ditko and Lee went their separate ways after ASM 38, disagreeing on the Green Goblin's "secret identity".

Thanks! I remember reading that somewhere now that you mentioned it but I had forgotten when doing the review but, apparently, my sub-conscious hadn't.

Duffman_Comics said:
Really, all these early Spideys are terrific.

They are consistently excellent which is something I'm not seeing from any other Marvel production of the period.

Fantastic Four #41 August 1965

My Copy - Grade 3.0 Part of a small job lot I purchased. Got them really cheap so can't complain.

ff41.jpg.dcee8739d3a4e1ba281ce1a245f19767.jpg

Cover: 2.5/5 ~ I'm starting to realise that I don't like split panel covers but even so the top picture is nothing special and probably wouldn't have been improved by being full cover.

Art: 3/5 ~ I think after last month's spectacular Jack must have been feeling a bit tired as this issue has a lot of panels with either no background or very minimalist. Still there's some nice Sandman/Medusa work and brainwashed Ben is effectively drawn to reflect his new 'evil' persona.

Story: 3/5 ~ It would have been very hard to continue the greatness that the last two issues contained and so I was not surprised to see a more modest offering. Ben, feeling hard done by because of his re-transformation into the Thing, quits the FF. He leaves, falls asleep in the back of a pick-up and is eventually taken by the Frightful Four (man, they are getting a lot of air time recently). Still asleep Ben is placed under the Wizard's control by the use of his Id Machine and is thus the newest recruit for the evil FF. There's a fair bit of slap-dash infighting between them and then they are found (rather too easily and very conveniently) by the Fantastic Three (as they have become). Bit of a silly battle when one after the other they lose to the same device, that being, not realising that Ben is batting for the evil FF now. The issue does end up on a real cliff-hanger though as the enraged Thing advances menacingly on the man responsible for all his troubles; a stuck & helpless Reed Richards.

Quote of the Day ~ "Shuddup, Richards! I ain't listin' to ya! I'm gonna change you now, hear?? I'll do to you what you did to me! An' nothin' can stop me! Then, when you're finished, I'll git the rest of the Fantastic Four...like I shoulda done a long time ago!!"

My assessment ~ Aside from the piece out of the bottom of the front cover, this is not a bad looking copy. Keeper.

Thanks for reading!

Edited by Harry Lime

Apologies for the delay, Photobucket was being a real spoon and without some very helpful advice I read in CG it's doubtful I would have been able to upload another image.

Journey Into Mystery #119 August 1965

My Copy - Grade 1.0 So you thought FF #14 was the lowest grade copy I had? Noooo, take a look at this monstrosity. A comic so hazardous to health I had to put it in the freezer for two weeks to kill the mould therein. A book so deadly that I am literally risking my health and happiness in reviewing it for my mildly, indifferent public. Present company excepted, of course. :grin:

jim119.jpg.273ccd27ac373735122d74fd4b3ce95b.jpg

Cover: 1/5 ~ Oh, look a split panel cover. And each panel has a blurb. And another bigger blurb at the bottom. And a brown background for the cover. What could possibly go wrong? Yep, I know some split panel covers are popular in these parts but this ain't no ASM #4.

Art: 4/5 ~ Perhaps Jack didn't care about the cover 'cause he was planning such delights for the interior. From the powerful splash page, the coverage of Asgard, the vivid, albeit brief, tussle with the Destroyer and culminating in the explosive full page wonderment of page 12, this issue does full justice to Jack's talents. Ok so there's a couple of pages of Thor flying haphazardly around a jungle after that but your mind is still reeling from the destruction of the Temple to pay too much attention.

Story: 2/5 ~ Quite disappointing really. Like this month's ASM the story arc peters out about halfway through the story. Unlike the ASM there's not really anything interesting enough to keep us reading afterwards. And the culmination of the Destroyer fight was both unsatisfactory and confusing. Thor, initially made incorporeal by Loki to avoid certain death, wins the bluff against the Destroyer's human 'host'. I really had no idea what was going on as I thought the Destroyer only needed a human brain for a 'mystic transfer' to bring himself (that is the Destroyer's consciousness) back to life. But it turns out that the hunter was in charge all along? Oh, well. I'm not surprised by another JIM contrivance, par for the course really.

Quote of the Day ~ "Somehow, a victory has more meaning when it is won by the force of your own arms, the ingenuity of your own brain! This battle I shall remember for many years to come!"

My assessment ~ Very long prongs, a haz-mat suit and an incinerator!

Thanks for reading!

Edited by Harry Lime

A book so deadly that I am literally risking my health and happiness in reviewing it for my mildly, indifferent public. Present company excepted, of course. :grin:

We appreciate the risks you take on our behalf Harry! lol

And at least this reader is much more than indifferent. That just seems to be the way of it in the journals. Unless you aren't very good at selling comics, of course.

A book so deadly that I am literally risking my health and happiness in reviewing it for my mildly, indifferent public. Present company excepted, of course. :grin:

We appreciate the risks you take on our behalf Harry! lol

And at least this reader is much more than indifferent. That just seems to be the way of it in the journals. Unless you aren't very good at selling comics, of course.

I wasn't being entirely serious. :P

I don't expect any replies, it's not like I have rare or interesting collecting tales to tell, but it's always nice when someone does. (thumbs u

Amazing Spider-Man #28 Sept 1965

My Copy - Grade 6.0 Apparent I think it has a small amount of colour touch top right corner. It doesn't bleed through but that section doesn't look 'right'.

asm28.jpg.306dfbb853eb9c3cb7a60750df2e2033.jpg

Cover: 5/5 ~ To paraphrase Flack, the first time I ever saw this cover I knew I needed the dark and glowing stars it contained. Man, it's a beaut. Even though Spidey has the upper-hand in pitch blackness the sense of menace caused by our childhood fear of the dark is palpable here.

Art: 4.5/5 ~ Ditko pulls out all the stops this issue. The inking job done on the Molten Man and indeed most of the laboratory sequence is first class. And there's the wonderful cellar scene as well, shame it didn't last a bit longer. Add onto this the pictorially great treatment of human emotions; Liv Allen's dejection, Flash's scowling/triumphant, J.Jonah's ingratiating and we have some of the strongest work seen on ASM so far.

Story: 3.5/5 ~ The weakest part is MM's origin. During a fight with Symthe (Spider-Slayer creator) he drops a jar of experimental liquid metal alloy over himself and, as is the way in the Marvel universe, subsequently acquires it's properties. This does make him a very dangerous opponent, without some quick-thinking in the darkened cellar it's doubtful Spidey would have won, but it seemed a bit too easy an acquisition of such power. Perhaps liquid metal + high voltage electricity or radiation, right? That would work. It's a trifling point but that's the impression I got upon reading the story. Good ending to the book with Parker's graduation, Aunt May's pride in her nephew and the realisation that Peter hasn't seen the last of Flash yet. They both won scholarships to ESU!

Quote of the Day ~ "Is that a smile, or is he wearing a fright mask?"

My assessment ~ This is the second copy I've owned. The first was a raggedy, pence copy that I was lucky enough to sell after buying this one. True, this is also a pence but it presents so much better and because of the normal sky-high prices for this issue, this is a keeper.

Thanks for reading!

Edited by Harry Lime

Fantastic Four #42 Sept 1965

My Copy - Grade 4.0 Shame about the sub-crease.

ff42.jpg.8e5fbeae02d27c6926b5706d00775ce4.jpg

Cover: 2.5/5 ~ In two minds over this. I love the purple, don't like the sparseness and whilst generally I like a good ol' battle cover there's something off about this one.

Art: 3.5/5 ~ Lots of fighting action in this one, poor old Jack doesn't get a chance to draw anything else. But it's all done very dynamically with great vigour and aptitude.

Story: 4/5 ~ Starts off at a frenetic pace and doesn't really let up throughout the book. It's amazing that the Frightful Four's (plus Ben and later, Johnny) hideout is still standing at the end considering the pulverising and pounding that occurs. Reed shows some outstanding agility to avoid Ben's initial onslaught. Johnny & Sue manage to escape their confinements caused by losing last issue and join in the fun as well. The fight scenes are much more enjoyable this time around but unfortunately the Human Torch falls prey to the Wizard's id machine (grrr, stinky Wizard) so at the end is six versus the two remaining 'Fantastic Four'. As if that's not looking bad enough for our heroes the book ends on another cliffhanger as the evil Torch has them surrounded by fire!

Quote of the Day ~ Medusa - "I've never known anyone like you before!" Ben - "Natcherly! There ain't anyone like me! An' if there was, I'd clobber 'im!"

My assessment ~ Another one on the upgrade if possible pile. Until then, keeper.

Thanks for reading!

Edited by Harry Lime

Journey Into Mystery #120 Sept 1965

My Copy - Grade 6.0 Real shame about the top overhang as the gloss and colours are really fresh on this copy.

jim120.jpg.a5eff572a3b427c15d8e1c9159ac31b2.jpg

Cover: 4/5 ~ Who knew that DIY hammer maintenance could be so artistic? Love those flames!

Art: 3/5 ~ Nothing especially outstanding but some great Asgardian stuff especially later on in Ularic's lab with the Macro-Meson projector and the deep space transmogrification of Crusher Creel, yep we saw that one coming. One wonderful panel of Bifrost where Thor declares "How my heart ever thrills, my soul ever sings, at the glory and grandeur of the Rainbow Bridge!" Right there with ya, man! The last panel of the story, an advancing bricky Crusher, gets an honourable mention too.

Story: 3/5 ~ Strange one this, very little happens and yet I enjoyed it. Perhaps I like low-key (no pun intended) stories, witness my love for ASM #18. Thor mends his hammer, proves his honour and gets bored in Asgard. Granted permission to return to Earth, he then fails to pay the rent, can't find Jane Foster and meets the 'new' Avengers. Of course, right at the end we have the set-up for the next ish and a showdown with the Absorbing Man (revived by the machinations of Loki). Loki is also set for some sort of takeover of Asgard as well. Looks promising.

Quote of the Day ~ "I'd sure like to see him toss that thing!" Those were more innocent days. :nyah:

My assessment ~ Is this the start of a higher calibre Thor? Let's face it, it's about time.

Thanks for reading!

Edited by Harry Lime

My assessment ~ Is this the start of a higher calibre Thor? Let's face it, it's about time.

Yes it is. You have some cracking reading ahead of you. The Hercules story in the first annual is fun too. (I'm not sure where that fits in order - presumably before the title becomes Thor in 126).

Yes it is. You have some cracking reading ahead of you. The Hercules story in the first annual is fun too. (I'm not sure where that fits in order - presumably before the title becomes Thor in 126).

Yeah, it's JIM Annual #1 (which I haven't got) and the way I'm doing it, it would be in next month's reviews (Oct 1965).

Amazing Spider-Man #29 Oct 1965

My Copy - Grade 6.0 ~ I think this was the first ASM I bought for my collection. I probably overpaid for it, being a pence, but no biggie.

asm29.jpg.6c7c14e8b37b36a27d10f90651f17e4a.jpg

Cover: 4.5/5 ~ What is it with Spidey & water covers? House spiders hate water, the plughole is their nemesis and yet Spider-Man plus water nearly always equals an awesome cover. I must admit though there's two things I got wrong about the cover upon first reading the issue. It's not set in a tunnel or sewer and the Scorpion isn't wearing a frog-man's mask. :insane:

Art: 4/5 ~ Great splash page, great fightin' action scenes, great (and highly enjoyable) depictions of J.J.J bricking it when he hears the Scorpion is after him. Highly polished throughout, typical Ditko.

Story: 3/5 ~ As mentioned the scenes of J. Jonah squirming with fear, blustering and finally boasting with 'no false modesty' were highly enjoyable. The main story felt a little by the numbers though as the Scorpion breaks out of jail (the authorities gave him his suit back, doh!) to seek revenge on Jonah and Spidey. Spider-Man hangs around a street attempting to lure the Scorpion to him but it only achieves the opposite effect as it leaves J. Jonah defenceless. The fight in the Bugle office was enjoyable and well done (Ditko does excel at these close-quarters scenes) but once it went outside it felt a little flat and I didn't see the need for Spider-Man to manoeuvre the fight into the river (aside from the chance to present an awesome cover that is) to finish off the Scorpion. Of greater portent was the events of the final page where Aunt May has a dizzy spell and collapses momentarily to the floor. Nooooooooooo!

Quote of the Day ~ "I never thought of that! If Spider-Man should lose, my life will be in danger every minute! I wonder if it's time for fearless Jonah to take a long trip...?"

My assessment ~ Keeper and no upgrade necessary. :)

Thanks for reading!

Edited by Harry Lime

Daredevil #10 Oct 1965

My Copy - Grade 8.5 My oldest DD, tried to sell it a few times, now I'm glad I didn't.

dd10.jpg.3d071814f5b4563bea0d92d64beb48b0.jpg

Cover: 3.5/5 ~ Love the metropolitan night-time setting. Love the large depiction of DD. Uncertain about the placement of the Ani-Men.

Art: 4/5 ~ This is probably the only book I own that was pencilled by Wally Wood and I have to admit I'm pretty impressed by his work. He seems to have the knack of packing his panels with detail and keeping them fresh and interesting. A lot like Ditko in that respect but without the quirkiness. He does seem admirably suited for a down to earth (relatively) character like DD and this issue we get the bonus of a cut-away diagram of the Organizer's HQ. Always loved those.

Story: 3.5/5 ~ A mystery tale as we don't know who the 'Organizer' is this issue. We see the origin of the Ani-Men, unremarkable (they put on animal themed suits). Then trouble is stirred on many fronts & DD fights them all briefly and in an understated way one at a time. He also manages to fall right into one of the Organizer's traps and gets himself implicated in a bank robbery. Quite an intriguing and enjoyable tale which continues into next month's book, apparently. It would have been a four but for a couple of discrepancies which although not on a JIM level still rankled a bit.

Quote of the Day ~ "I really hate to drop in on you like this, my fine-feathered friend, but I'm anxious to see your Pilot's licence!" Really difficult to get a decent quote from.

My assessment ~ Ahh, Daredevil. My most flip-floppity of collecting endeavours. Bought a load (copper/early modern), sold a load. Bought a few (Miller, post-Miller) sold a few. Now I'm concentrating on SA and BA. Have a few Millers as well and will probably stop at the end of his run. Unless I flip again, of course!

Thanks for reading!

Edited by Harry Lime

Fantastic Four #43 Oct 1965

My Copy - Grade 4.5 The second of the low grade FF job-lot and one of the best condition wise.

ff43.jpg.671c9c6a77fac2d0cfe9ddcf0711bbaa.jpg

Cover: 3.5/5 ~ Quite dramatic and seemingly implying the final defeat of the FF? It's quite misleading though and in more ways than one; the Human Torch is not present at this scene in the book.

Art: 3/5 ~ Some nice touches of Kirbyesque machinery dotted throughout the book and a couple of pages of exciting action involving Reed vs Ben and Johnny vs the evil FF. Kirby is certainly not stretching himself with this issue though.

Story: 3/5 ~ I could have sworn I had read this issue but upon re-reading it for the review, I couldn't remember a single thing about it. So, I was as surprised as a 10 year old kid in '65 when it was revealed that the Human Torch was faking it all along. Phew, that was a relief, the odds had been really stacked against Reed & Sue. They manage to haul the Thing back to the Baxter where Reed has a plan to revert the horrible Id machine's influence by nearly killing (as it turned out) his best friend. Quite a low-key ending to this mini-saga as with the Thing waking up cured and destroying the Wizard's anti-grav control thingy, the evil FF give up without much of a fight. I was once again deprived the pleasure of someone landing a hay-maker on the Wizard and had to settle for a dejected, almost trouser-less slump from the beaten dome head. Johnny, mysteriously and with no good reason, allows Medusa to escape. A portentous decision? Nice feel-good factor to the last page as Ben, still in his sick-bed, with Reed and Sue demonstrate that despite all the recent upheavals they are still a 'family'.

Quote of the Day ~ "You're yourself again now - - and that's all that matters! The Fantastic Four won out in the end after all! We proved that no foe - - or combination of foes - - can ever really defeat us!"

My assessment ~ Keeper. No upgrade needed.

Thanks for reading!

Edited by Harry Lime

Journey Into Mystery #121 Oct 1965

My Copy - Grade 6.5 The first JIM I ever bought. Nice looking copy with great PQ.

jim121.jpg.0af7d3b131b317f35a209c2d19a45cac.jpg

Cover: 4/5 ~ Sweet cover! Massive backhander, towering Absorbing Man over that grey-scale cityscape and an obviously hurt Thor all promise one hell of a battle. Added bonus; NO blurbing!!

Art: 4/5 ~ It looks like Jack has a lot of fun in drawing the Absorbing Man and his various material 'acquisitions'. Whilst in this issue the Asgard stuff is pretty dull, mainly Loki slinking around Ularic lab, the fighting in New York is masterfully done. The full page panel of page 7 is a tour de force, reminiscent of all those giant creatures invading cities in the 50's sci-fi flicks.

Story: 3/5 ~ On the whole a rattling good tale with nary a dull moment in it. Lots and lots of fighting as Thor & the Absorbing Man face off throughout the issue with only brief interludes of Loki's scheming (his takeover plans are dependent on Crusher winning) and the ongoing mysterious capture of Nurse Foster. There was a moment that rubbed against the grain though. It was that perennial argument amongst geeks everywhere; Thor's hammer and who can lift it? Apparently the Absorbing Man can as he wrests it from Thor's grasp, holds it (absorbing it's power but I've no problem with that) and then hurls it back at Thor. Anyway that aside, Thor does seemingly lose the fight by getting blind-sided helping a small child to safety. I await further developments!

Quote of the Day ~ "With my absorbing power, I should be able to defeat anyone! But there's something about Thor - - it's like fighting a whirlwind!"

My assessment ~ I enjoyed the last issue and I enjoyed this one but I'm still undecided about Thor. I'm half-expecting it to revert to the earlier poor offerings at the drop of a Mjolnir. Time and Odin will tell.

Thanks for reading!

Edited by Harry Lime

Amazing Spider-Man #30 Nov 1965

My Copy - Grade 3.5

asm30.jpg.35054f2244ce88bacacf9df5708464f3.jpg

Cover: 3.5/5 ~ An extremely accurate and dramatic depiction of one of the scenes in the book. I love the searchlights through the gloom and the collapsing water tower. Spidey is somewhat insignificantly portrayed however as are all the characters involved.

Art: 4/5 ~ After all these reviews I still can't fault Ditko's work. There's nothing spectacular but plenty of New York's finest alleys, web-swinging cityscapes and night-time rooftop shoot-outs. All done Spidey style just as we like it! Add in some emotional turmoil between Petey & Betty, Jonah sweating on paying Spider-Man a $1000 reward and we have another mini-masterpiece from Steve. Special mentions for Spidey swinging to investigate the searchlights on page 15 and the final panel.

Story: 3.5/5 ~ I must be getting soft in my dotage as my favourite part of the story was the tearful 'break-up' scene between Peter & Betty after Ned Leeds proposed to her. The rest of the book was highly enjoyable as well and moved at a cracking pace through the various sub-plots (Aunt May continues to have funny turns :( ). The Cat Burglar proved to be surprisingly resourceful for an average crim but what was that stuff about his purple-suited gang? Why didn't they get involved at the end when their 'boss' was in peril or was it all a giant, 'ahem', continuity error?

Quote of the Day ~ "Why wouldn't he listen?? What is it that always stands between us? The one secret he keeps locked within him--the secret he never shares, or talks about--!"

My assessment ~ Keeper, small upgrade would be nice?

Thanks for reading!

Edited by Harry Lime