• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need your feedback on a new price guide tool
1 1

63 posts in this topic

Hey guys programmed a free tool to check real market values for comic books. Originally this was a tool I used personally but after many requests I decided to turn it into a website and allow everyone to use it.

Now converting this into something the public can use has been a challenge and without feedback its very difficult to improve its functionality and keep it moving forward. If you can check it out browse some issues, sales etc and leave a comment , let me know what you like , dislike, anything you would like to see that isn't there etc..

I've had a ton of fun designing and programming this and its given me insights into the hobby I never had before as a collector. The greatest pleasure of course is if all users can enjoy and make use of this tool.

Much appreciated guys.

Comic Book values

When you bring up a book your display field for price just displays a number instead of $1200 for example

Last price field, also when you go into click view sales.

Also why does your Buy books only look at ebay? Might as well just go directly to Ebay.

Not exactly sure why I would use this.

More powerful if you bring up books from multiple selling venues.

What makes this site different from GPnalysis or why exactly would I want to use this besides it being free?

bob

Edited by blazingbob

There is an option for other auctions if you scroll down a little on the page. Its labelled Other Auctions. From there you can navigate to 5 auction/stores with an automatic search for the book. I do see what you mean with the $ missing , this is an issue with a few books but not all. Thanks for pointing that out.

Edited by ComicsMV

If you are relying on a user to scroll down to the Other auctions button on the bottom of the page you've already lost them. Users are very lazy.

What does Personalization Mall.com have to do with Market activity? Very confusing and not exactly where I would put an ad page.

There is also a lot of Web page real estate between the market activity and those tabs on the bottom of the page. Again, not exactly where I would put them.

My default would be to show all the venues and if the users wants to limit the search results let them pick and chose which ones they want to see.

Edited by blazingbob

What makes this site different from GPnalysis or why exactly would I want to use this besides it being free?

bob

Bob Its not meant to be a replacement to GPA, there are benefits and features there that I cannot provide with a free service and GPa has far more sales in their db. But Like I said its a tool I wanted to share and its free for those who may not have a subscription there but want to look at some data.

My first action is similar to Bobs. But after clicking around, wow. You have spent a lot of time pulling together a Lot of cool stuff. Cover galleries, too.

But overall, since the guts are all assembled and working, it needs a lot of tweaks to make it more usable. And to echo Bob, theres the very real issue of where the data is coming from, and how reliable it is. Even with GPA we have to read between the lines on nearly every price listed, it's not as simple as calling up event sales prices. Important details are page quality, venue, auction or inventory, and many more.

Good luck. It's obvious you are willing to put in the work to build this!

Edited by aman619

yes, there always more and more little things. Like, I clicked on the list of recent searches, and expected to be taken to the search I clicked. nope, just a list. Creating the make a list -script in real time was an effort.. but now users take that for granted and expect more or different results.

Also, seems like the ebay API is one of your sources being used, curious if you got your site through there approval process or is it just the dev version of the API? Have you gone the extended API via Terapeak route?

First I want to thank you for creating this helpful tool to help collectors I appreciate you taking the time and effort to do this.

I do not have a GPA account, so I have nothing to compare your site to.

I did, however, find some "issues".

I decided to check on single digit Actions.

1) As soon as I clicked on Action, there were 10 "recent sales" that scrolled across the scene. One said Action Comics #8 in 2.0 (signature series) for $643. This surprised me. When I clicked on AC8, however, I found the recent 2.0 sale to be $3,750. That seemed a little more likely.

2) When I clicked on the AC5, I saw a 10.0. When I clicked on the 10.0, however, it took me to a FF #49 in 9.2.

3) I am curious as to how the "recent demand" function works. I looked at the "recent demand" for Actions from 1 - 10. Here are the results.

AC1 - 55

AC2 - 0

AC3 - 50

AC4 - 0

AC5 - 0

AC6 - 0

AC7 - 50

AC8 - 100

AC9 - 65

AC10 - 65

I am NOT claiming to be an expert on the demand of every Action, however, it is "difficult" for me to believe the demand for Action Comics #2, #4, #5, and #6 is ZERO. I may be mistaken, but I think there are at least one or two board members who wouldn't mind getting their hands on one of these rare treats. I sort of WISH demand was ZERO as that would cause the law of supply and demand to kick in and the prices of these books to plummet (and I would be able to buy them up cheap). In fact if anyone has one of these and no longer wants it, they should let me know.

I found a somewhat similar problem with the "current market supply' indicator, although this was perhaps not as significant.

Again, I REALLY appreciate you taking the time to set this site up and offer it free to everyone. Although it has some issues, this is still a very helpful site.

One question. Are all the listed data related to third party graded books?

If so, I would be interested in a separate tab that would allow me to view recent sales data on raw books (and what their owners claimed their grades to be).

Thanks again!

(thumbs u