• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Near six figure MTG art sales

619 posts in this topic

I am amazed you got a DiTerlizzi. I picked up his art book at Gen Con last year.

If you have a couple grand lying around you can still get one: http://diterlizzi.com/home/magic-the-gathering-original-art-sale/

what are your thoughts on counterfeit cards. I bought a pricey card for the first time in a long time, a mox emerald, and it was a very good fake. Its kind of disturbing to see how close they are getting.

Tell a curious non-collector of the cards: How did you discover it was fake? Did you get your payment back?

I am amazed you got a DiTerlizzi. I picked up his art book at Gen Con last year.

If you have a couple grand lying around you can still get one: http://diterlizzi.com/home/magic-the-gathering-original-art-sale/

what are your thoughts on counterfeit cards. I bought a pricey card for the first time in a long time, a mox emerald, and it was a very good fake. Its kind of disturbing to see how close they are getting.

Tell a curious non-collector of the cards: How did you discover it was fake? Did you get your payment back?

Like he said, the main way to tell is just feeling the card in your hand. Something just feels "off" with the fakes...whether it's the texture, thickness, stiffness, etc.

ah ok

"Important announcement!

My family and I have decided that it is time to start selling some of Quinton Hoover's artwork. This wasn't an easy decision. Some of you will oppose this decision, but I hope many of you are excited to own some of his original work.

After four years of said art being in storage, we've collectively decided that it would be better in the hands of his fans and collectors. This is to give it the care and respect it deserves.

There will be no private sales (winning bidders won't be shared, ever). Period. Any messages asking so will be ignored. Also, any international buyers, I suggest working with a broker. I do not want the responsibility of shipping overseas. All work will be auctioned.

The first auction will start soon! So please, refinance your home. I have a feeling some of these pieces will sell high!

Thank you. All of you. Thank you to all of the people who have shown him the praise he deserves.

Please feel free to share this post."

Not my area of knowledge, so please forgive me if this is an ignorant question. Why will some people oppose your decision to sell some of Quinton Hoover's artwork?

I'm not selling it... I was just quoting a facebook post from the artist's son, sorry for the confusion. The family are the ones selling the art, because money I'm sure.

As to why people are protesting, because butthurt due to money involved to buy... masquerading as "its important for you to keep it together" ("I can't afford it so why should anyone else get it.").

I can't get excited for this either. Prices will be high enough that I won't care to buy anything.

MTG art game seems like it might be even more cutthroat than comic OA game? I mean, everybody wants to silently cut an inside deal all the while publicly decrying "breaking the collection up", right?

MTG art game seems like it might be even more cutthroat than comic OA game? I mean, everybody wants to silently cut an inside deal all the while publicly decrying "breaking the collection up", right?

There are very few people saying this, and most are excited to get a chance at a piece...there should be some available for every budget if there are sketches and such available. The published Magic pieces will be astronomical though ($2-3K floor probably).

I know literally nothing about MTG art collecting - this guy was a big deal I take it?

I guess some things are the same everywhere, people don't want the market flooded, they're afraid of being diluted.

He was one of 25 artists who started the game, and died quite a few years ago.

There are very few people saying this, and most are excited to get a chance at a piece...there should be some available for every budget if there are sketches and such available. The published Magic pieces will be astronomical though ($2-3K floor probably).

Anything good will be 10k+ for a 5 by 7... no thanks, not for me. Cool art but the originals when that small... feh. They are cool and I'm sure some collectors will be happy to add a piece. I figure lots of them will end up with the same 3-4 people though

I'm not expecting a ton of pieces to surface from things like Magic. I remember talking to Quinton years ago and he had a handful of Magic pieces left and none were really exciting(Arcum's Whistle, Karplusan Yeti), so I suspect this is gonna be a lot more prelims and originals from Rage and other CCGs. A decade ago there were Duelist covers around, so those could turn out to be the fun oddities that survived. Will be very fun to see!!

I'm not expecting a ton of pieces to surface from things like Magic. I remember talking to Quinton years ago and he had a handful of Magic pieces left and none were really exciting(Arcum's Whistle, Karplusan Yeti), so I suspect this is gonna be a lot more prelims and originals from Rage and other CCGs. A decade ago there were Duelist covers around, so those could turn out to be the fun oddities that survived. Will be very fun to see!!

Sounds disappointing and like false advertisement on Patrick Hoover's part; he said this would be house refinancing type of art. :mad:

Just to reiterate, not familiar with Quentin Hoover's art; only here for the :popcorn:.

Sounds disappointing and like false advertisement on Patrick Hoover's part; he said this would be house refinancing type of art. :mad:

Just to reiterate, not familiar with Quentin Hoover's art; only here for the :popcorn:.

I have no personal knowledge of what art they have and am only speaking to my own experience a decade ago and what was left back then, as well as what originals I've already seen surface in the free market. It's entirely possible the family had kept some great pieces for themselves that hung on the walls and they will sell for crazy prices.

I just don't think people should get their hopes up expecting this explosion of 30 MTG originals or anything:)

Edited by RabidFerret