• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE ASM #129 SOCIETY
14 14

855 posts in this topic

So...a friend of mine asked me to appraise an old box of about 50 comics that belonged to her brother.

Imagine my surprise when looking through last night and finding one of them is a coverless copy of ASM 129.

I have no idea how to value it. $30? As high as $40? Much less?

So...a friend of mine asked me to appraise an old box of about 50 comics that belonged to her brother.

Imagine my surprise when looking through last night and finding one of them is a coverless copy of ASM 129.

I have no idea how to value it. $30? As high as $40? Much less?

I once found a GSX1 that was missing the front cover. I ended up trading it but did some researching they were selling for about 50 as is and some people had a reprint cover that they would supply loose with a book for 100. I imagine ASM129 would be about the same. Maybe a little more.

Thanks guys. As I'm sure you know, it's becoming harder to find a great deal on hot books at shows. Talking dealers down to retail has become the new norm. Very seldom do I leave a show feeling that I have made myself a worthwhile purchase, both price wise and investment wise. I did feel sort of victorious getting in my car and driving home like the day wasn't such a loss like I have in times before. Happy yo be back in this Club.

Would you consider it a good idea to SS a 129 by Romita? Im in the process of reslabbing my copy and Im considering having it signed first.... Thoughts?

You need to be careful. Many people are leery of signed copies and there's no guarantee it will sell at the price you want. As it is, ASM #129 isn't the best long-term Bronze investment as prices are dropping. First and foremost it is IH #181 and then GS-X #1. Prices hold on these two gems, so perhaps sell your copy and upgrade to one of these?

:gossip:

Do not SS it. A lot of people like me will not buy SS books, shrinking the buying pool. There is no shortage of SS books out there, so your book would not be any more special than it is.

The Punisher has long-lasting appeal, especially if the upcoming series can draw even more interest in the character. Keep it.

IF it's a 9.8 W...

I don't know. I thought of getting my 9.8 copy signed but in the end decided 1 it wasn't worth the risk. 2 Even though I have a lot of SS books, I kind of like having my bigger books in the pure form.

Also I've noticed on this book while sometimes on on ASM129 sigs will go for more. Other times they go for less in the same grade if you follow the sales for a while

Clearly lots of differing opinions on the subject so I'd say go with what you think you'd like to see everyday. I understand people who don't want the art interrupted by a signature but I also like Sig Series issues, unless the signature obscures a key part of the cover. I always wanted a copy & finally got my ASM 129 a couple years ago largely because it was a double signature with both Stan Lee & Gerry Conway. Since this was one of the many key issues from Romita then I think it be cool with his signature. Good luck with your decision.

Here's my copy:

1029502A-237E-4856-900C-3B566CFF56AF.jpg

This was the first book I spent some real money on years and years ago. I payed $50.00 for the book raw from a LCS had it graded some time back. I would like to upgrade some time in the future but this book holds sentimental value for being my first BIG comic purchase.

Amazing%20Spider-Man%20129%20A.jpg

This was the first book I spent some real money on years and years ago. I payed $50.00 for the book raw from a LCS had it graded some time back. I would like to upgrade some time in the future but this book holds sentimental value for being my first BIG comic purchase.

Amazing%20Spider-Man%20129%20A.jpg

Awesome! Nice thing about those sentimental books, doesn't matter if they go up or down in value, just nice to always have them in the collection!

??? I thought that I had joined this group long time ago, guess I forgot. Anyway I'd like to get into this society now.

here is my raw copy ( the first comic I ever purchased, and yes I still have it <3 ), and my CGC graded copy.

asm129.jpg

2559744_Full_Obv.jpg

7 hours ago, nepatkm said:

??? I thought that I had joined this group long time ago, guess I forgot. Anyway I'd like to get into this society now.

here is my raw copy ( the first comic I ever purchased, and yes I still have it <3 ), and my CGC graded copy.

Awesome :)  sweet that it's been kept all these years!

32 minutes ago, Hey Kids, Comics! said:

One of the 4.5s and the 8.5 just came back today from CGC. I have one more currently being pressed.

Congrats ;) Solid copies. Hope the other comes back to your liking!! I have one being pressed as well :wishluck:

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 4/5/2017 at 8:41 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Congrats ;) Solid copies. Hope the other comes back to your liking!! I have one being pressed as well :wishluck:

I have a Mark Jeweler's 3.0 signed by Stan Lee, bbbuuuuutttt I took a bath on this one lol was a PGX 5.5 and when I cracked it, it had a severe spine roll, I thought, "YES! I can press it and get a better grade"

I was a bit foolish I know------but I take heart in a learning lesson well documented :) 

CGC 4.5 ASM 129.jpg

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

32 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I have a Mark Jeweler's 3.0 signed by Stan Lee, bbbuuuuutttt I took a bath on this one lol was a PGX 5.5 and when I cracked it, it had a severe spine roll, I thought, "YES! I can press it and get a better grade"

I'm WAS lame and was a bit foolish I know------

CGC 4.5 ASM 129.jpg

Looks awesome in the new case. Sorry to hear it didn't bump up.