• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I Miss Dave (Stevens, that is)
8 8

4,882 posts in this topic

nWF1o0a.png

You finally got one? :applause:

Mike, I totally missed this post. So sorry about that.

Yup. This is my first full fanzine. I think you and I purchased from the same ebay seller where I bought his unused cover, and you may have grabbed his full fanzine.

Watcha got? (shrug)

Things that I have begrudgingly decided to part with?

3-D Zone 16 CGC 9.8

Alien Worlds 2 CGC 9.8

Bettie Page Queen of the Nike 1-3 All CGC 9.8 except #3 which 9.6

Crossfire 12 CGC 9.8

Sheena 3-D Special 1 CGC 9.8

Rocketeer Adventures 1 (Jetpack Edition) CGC 9.8

Rocketeer Adventures 2 (Jetpack Edition) CGC 9.8

I still have to go through and see what other items I'm willing to part with. There are prints, Rocketeer postcards, etc. that I'm still deciding on.

I'm re-focusing my collection to books that capture specific artists, styles, classic characters, etc.

So I have to thin out Dave to balance things it..... sadly.

Some great books!

:applause:

nWF1o0a.png

Yup. This is my first full fanzine. I think you and I purchased from the same ebay seller where I bought his unused cover, and you may have grabbed his full fanzine.

Get it graded. Just make sure it's not higher than a 9.6. Bend one corner before you send it in. :baiting:

nWF1o0a.png

Get it graded. Just make sure it's not higher than a 9.6. Bend one corner before you send it in. :baiting:

lol

That's evil.

nWF1o0a.png

lol

That's evil.

:shy:

Picked up this really cheap double cover (CGC 9.4/9.6 W). Always did like the Rocketeer despite completely losing interest in comics during this period of my life.

167124.jpg

This back cover is heads and shoulders better than the crappy front cover for this book.

As I re-balance my collection from almost exclusively Dave Stevens books to one of greater breadth and depth, I constantly agonize over which Dave books to keep and which to part.

Which leads to a good thought exercise....

If you could only have/keep 5 Dave Stevens related books, which ones would it be?

Mine would be: (in no particular order)

1) Jonny Quest 5 (one of my favorites and finding this book in 9.8 was one of the hardest challenges I had when I was getting back into collecting.

2) Airboy 5 (just love the classic looking nature of this cover)

3) Pacific Presents 2 (the vividness of the cover with the Rocketeer front and center)

4) World of Wood 1 (love the composition and colors of this cover, but have yet to find it in 9.8)

5) Alien Worlds 4 (classic GGA sci-fi cover)

My top 5 keepers would be:

1) Alien Worlds #4

2) Airboy #5

3) Doc Stearns...Mr. Monster #2. Love the look on those kids' faces.

4) Planet Comics #1

5) World of Wood #2. I've always loved that "No, you can't keep him!" scenario. :D

1) Alien Worlds #4

2) Airboy #5

4) Planet Comics #1

5) World of Wood #2. I've always loved that "No, you can't keep him!" scenario. :D

Yeah, all those are good too. I considered Mr. Monster 2 simply for the way he managed to capture elements of a cartoon, or a comic book, of everything in that image. Very cool.

Also, love World of Wood 2. If I could get the set in 9.8, i'easily bump a few others to make room in the Top 5.

1) Alien Worlds #4

2) Airboy #5

4) Planet Comics #1

:cloud9:

1) Airboy #5...easy #1, easy...

2) Alien Worlds #4

3) Johnny Quest #5...I love brunettes

4) Betty Paige: Queen of the Nile #1

5)a Planet Comics #1

5)a Vampirella: A Scarlett Thirst #1...wowzer!

Figured you guys might like this ... forgot I even had it. I found it in a box from when I was a kid that my mom brought over to me a year or so back. I remember buying this around 1987/88 from a back issue box in my hometown .... love the cover on this! I'm considering getting it graded just to preserve it due to it's sentimental value (thumbs u

5KyMfDN.jpg

upcLOo0.jpg

9bctmAc.jpg

Here's another hypothetical....

You travel 5 years into the future to see that a reboot of "The Rocketeer" is a HUGE box office sucess. The movie is a box office juggernaut with a A-List cast, great director, everything. This success creates millions of new fans and a surging new demand for Rocketeer related comic books.

Returned to the present day, what 3 books do you immeidately start hoarding?