• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I have a Graphic Novel coming out about early fandom, collecting and cosplay.

72 posts in this topic

Bear with me.

I have crossed a few hurdles. I finished a 216 page story. I found a publisher, Caliber Entertainment. It is being advertised in this month's Previews. The next hurdle is selling enough copies to the comic stores to have Diamond distribute it. So, here is a free offer. Send me a personal mailing. I will send it to you one chapter, about 25 pages at a time, without cost. If you like I will send you the entire book that way. No strings attached. If you like it enough to want a paper copy (and the cost is $18.95) then go to your comic store and order one. Here is a reproduction of the ad from Diamond, a link to Diamond and several images. It is called, "THE TOWER OF THE COMIC BOOK FREAKS".

http://www.previewsworld.com/Catalog/NOV161355

Screen%20Shot%202016-11-08%20at%2010.35.19%20AM.png

Here is the story in few lines:

"Fourth of July, 1971. Five awkward, young men drive to New York in search of love, sex, art, comic books and a glimpse at the city's wicked underbelly. What they encounter changes their lives forever. Visit a pivotal time as comics change from a business to an art form. Meet Allan Caldwell, comic artist, blacklisted since the 1950s for his testimony to the Senate Inquiry. Tour the greatest city in America during a period of social disintegration.”

Here are some reviews from advance copies sent to well known Canadian comic book professionals and one from a Brit.

“This work however is truly novelistic. It’s ambitious in terms of setting, rich characterization and it says something about life. He is in heady company. Kubert, Eisner and Miller spring to mind.” —R.G.Taylor, Co-creator Wordsmith, Artist Sandman Mystery Theater

"Great reading for a Sunday afternoon". —Noel Tuazon, New York Times Best Selling Illustrator of Elk's Run

"It is utterly wonderful." —Jon Atack, author of Voodoo Child, an account of the life of Jimi Hendrix; Let’s sell the people a a Piece of the Blue Sky, board of directors of the Open Minds Foundation

"I like it! It's well told. I'm looking forward to seeing how it develops". —Paul Truster, long time fan who bought Showcase #4 for $3.00 and a Frazetta Johnny Comet for $35.00

"The storytelling looks sold. Ron is a very capable writer. The illustration work is fine. Layout is very good. My two cents worth so far". —Richard Comely, creator of Captain Canuck

“'Still, it was nice to think that I could lose my virginity for the price of an X-Men #4,’ is one of the best lines I've read anywhere in any medium. This comic is great fun." —David Cullen, artist for 'Marvel Comics Presents,’ storyboard artist of the tv series, ‘Haven'

"In one word...PHENOMENAL." —Stephen Lipson, historian, consultant to the Overstreet Price Guide.

"It is a great read. Can't wait for the next.” —Gabriel Morrissette, Co-creator of Northguard and Fleur de Lys, artist of Doc Savage, Spider-man 2099 and Ragman.

“Ron Kasman is an unsung genius of Canadian comics.” Mark Shainblum, Co-creator of Northguard and Fleur de Lys, writer of Angloman.

"No one has a better insight into the angst, the innocence and the absurdity of young comic nerds during the embryonic days of fandom.” —James Waley, publisher Orb Magazine, Creator of Northern Light.

I have no American reviews. I look forward to them.

Here are some images. I hope this works. I have been having a lot of trouble with photo bucket recently.

For%20Mark%20Fake%20Poster.jpg

For%20Mark%20Page.jpg

For%20Mark%20Comic%20Room.jpg

For%20Mark%20NY%20Page.jpg

For%20Mark%20Lovers.jpg

Edited by That Ron Dude

I have read the first few chapters folks and this is top notch stuff. If I can wing it I'm gonna order mine. It's a bit reminiscent of Seth palookaville type story but a bit faster paced. Maybe some Daniel Clowes thrown in. Harvey Pekar but without main character being a bit of a nut. Definitely among the best autobio comics.

WOW! That is as positive as any review I am going to have! I am humbled before you.

Just to make sure you know, it is in no way an autobiographical comic. I was lucky enough go to the New York conventions in the early seventies put on by Phil Seuling. I also went to the Bob Brosch conventions in Detroit. I was even the co-chair of a few conventions in Toronto in the early to mid 1970s. The book reflects upon things I saw but nothing is the same as what I saw. And most of it is just plain made up.

The lead character is athletic and I was athletic. He is a Jew. I am a Jew. But he looks like Justin Trudeau. I looked like Howdy Doody. He gets the girl and she looks like Farrah Fawcett. Girls wouldn't even talk to me when I was that age. He becomes the toast of the convention. I was just another short, pimply, slovenly comics fan running around sucking up for sketches. You could call the story a wish fulfillment fantasy but it is in no way autobiographical.

The poster for the convention was completely made by me. I did it from a photo I took when I was down there on New Year's Eve two years ago. I aged it following instructions from "Blue Lightning" graphics on youtube. The publisher, Gary Reed, may he rest in peace, thought the poster actually was from an early New York convention and told me he wasn't familiar with "Allan Caldwell". That's because Allan Caldwell doesn't exist except as a character in the story. Kirby and Everett, may they rest in peace too, are minor characters in the story. From very early in the book I am mentioning Kirby as the greatest artist in the history of comics. Lee is mentioned as well, but never shown, as are Heck and Ditko. I wouldn't know how to write a story about comics in the early '70s without mentioning Lee and Kirby.

One of the nicest complements I had on the book was someone who read it assumed it to be a collection of things that I had seen, strung together into a story. When I told him that it was not, he complemented me on my writing saying that it is hard to get that level of realism into fiction.

I'll end with a joke. "How many new graphic novelists does it take to change a light bulb?" Answer: "Never mind that. Let me tell you about my new graphic novel."

Since when does art have to be strictly autobiographical to be good or true or worthy of our attention?

Honestly? I don't really want to hear about your life; I want your work to explain my life to me through the prism of your experience and our common humanity.

That's a tall order, I know. But it sounds to me like you've done that and then some. So sign me up!!!

(thumbs u

Since when does art have to be strictly autobiographical to be good or true or worthy of our attention?

Honestly? I don't really want to hear about your life; I want your work to explain my life to me through the prism of your experience and our common humanity.

That's a tall order, I know. But it sounds to me like you've done that and then some. So sign me up!!!

(thumbs u

It's a good point -- every time I see someone around here I know has a lot of experience from the day, dealers, con organizers, the fanzine guys, people who were there, etc, etc. They ought to be doing this in any form they can.

Gary Reed's passing, Steve Dillon's recent passing recent examples of one reason why -- people should remember these guys and what they did, what it was like, we should help make sure of it like the fans of the Roy Thomas era have done.

(thumbs u

Thanks for that comment. I look at it the same way. I wish I could write that succinctly.

I have had a lot of reviews in Canada and one in England. This is the first American review:

https://thenerdygirlexpress.com/2016/11/17/the-tower-of-the-comic-book-freaks-calibercomics-review-from-kleffnotes/

Reviews on Tumblr look promising.

http://ronkasman.tumblr.com/

Hi Ron.... any objections to me ordering this book on Amazon? I see they have a few copies available. I know you put a lot of work into this book and I'd like to get a copy..... being an old '70s comic con guy myself

I'm doing my Previews order right now - thanks for bumping this thread. I'm just going to order it on geek faith. :headbang: