• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Journey Into Mystery #65 - Different 10c Price Sizes ?

129 posts in this topic

Hello.

I'm new in town, so apologies if the two links below don't work, or if the subject veers too far into the obscure to warrant anyone else being interested. What they should show is two different copies of JIM #65 with what appear to be different size 10c prices in their respective white boxes:

www.ebay.com

www.ebay.com

Looking at other copies, the size of the 10c does seem to fluctuate....

Anyone else intrigued?

Took me a minute to see the difference but on one it does seem the 10c is further away from the bottom of the surrounding white box....

INTERESTING

I admire your patience for noticing (thumbs u

Edit: nice attention to detail....I don't even have the patience to notice and memorize price variants ie 30c to 35c etc.

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

Took me a minute to see the difference but on one it does seem the 10c is further away from the bottom of the surrounding white box....

INTERESTING

I admire your patience for noticing (thumbs u

Edit: nice attention to detail....I don't even have the patience to notice and memorize price variants ie 30c to 35c etc.

......it's amazing what you spot when hunting down pence variants....

Goodman was a cheap publisher.

There are a few times when pricing circles had a variation.

I think the $0.12 pricing circle for Amazing Adult Fantasy #9 is different than all later versions. Goodman probably slapped together a new price circle after raising the price from $0.10 for issue #9 and then standardized it for issue #10 onward.

Hello.

I'm new in town, so apologies if the two links below don't work, or if the subject veers too far into the obscure to warrant anyone else being interested. What they should show is two different copies of JIM #65 with what appear to be different size 10c prices in their respective white boxes:

www.ebay.com

www.ebay.com

Anyone else intrigued?

Not seeing much difference. Possibly just random variation in how the different colors were laid down on the page caused the size of the white box to vary a bit?

Hello.

www.ebay.com

www.ebay.com

Anyone else intrigued?

Not seeing much difference. Possibly just random variation in how the different colors were laid down on the page caused the size of the white box to vary a bit?

There is 100 % ABSOLUTELY a difference in type used! Nice find. I checked out some back issues of it on Heritage and there are examples of both so I'm not sure there's a huge rarity on one over the other. Pretty interesting.

Hello.

www.ebay.com

www.ebay.com

Anyone else intrigued?

There is 100 % ABSOLUTELY a difference in type used! Nice find. I checked out some back issues of it on Heritage and there are examples of both so I'm not sure there's a huge rarity on one over the other. Pretty interesting.

I agree, the difference is palpable. So, why would the price size change midway through a print run? People have speculated which were printed first - Cents or pence - maybe they printed some cents, then changed the plate to pence, then back again with a different cents template. Maybe there was a second printing. Maybe the printing press broke. Will we ever know.....

jim2_zpsscnexrx7.jpg

Thanks for adding the pics - I haven't worked out how to add them direct from my pc yet. Looks like you can't. I find these little printing quirks fascinating. Any reason to mess about with comics is a good reason I guess...

I think I may have an answer: there appear to be some little known British CENTS/PENCE variants out there :o

From 1959-1961

I did post this in a recent UK the price thread....

This is Gunsmoke Western no.63

Clearly CENTS price on the cover...

DSCF0167_zpsxqfcz8qn.jpg

BUT with a UK indicia

DSCF0124_zpsoqxqz6um.jpg

I found the book in a UK original owner collection - so was bought in the UK

This is the normal cents version... pic from Google

note the different fonts again

2bfec16d7d15a063cda186788f08cdeb_l.jpg

Theory is: these were published / printed in America, shipped over, stamped with the T&P indicia, then distributed to newsagents... who were supposed to stick little 9d stickers on them... obviously not alll were stickered...

I think I may have an answer: there appear to be some little known British CENTS/PENCE variants out there :o

From 1959-1961

I did post this in a recent UK the price thread....

This is Gunsmoke Western no.63

Clearly CENTS price on the cover...

DSCF0167_zpsxqfcz8qn.jpg

BUT with a UK indicia

DSCF0124_zpsoqxqz6um.jpg

I found the book in a UK original owner collection - so was bought in the UK

This is the normal cents version... pic from Google

note the different fonts again

2bfec16d7d15a063cda186788f08cdeb_l.jpg

Theory is: these were published / printed in America, shipped over, stamped with the T&P indicia, then distributed to newsagents... who were supposed to stick little 9d stickers on them... obviously not alll were stickered...

I think you're onto something here. I saw your Gunsmoke variant in the other post and have been pondering it. What is odd is that it's indicia says L Miller , not Thorpe & Porter. All online evidence suggests that Miller only did reprints and T & P were the sole distributors of Marvel originals. I'm planning to do some investigating on this and will report back. What is clear is that, as long as there is a cents priced Gunsmoke 63 without the L Miller indicia, then we have identified a new strand of variant. The debate would have to be what we call them . Really interesting stuff and, with the JIM example, a potential load of under the radar variants. I'll see what I can find out.

Two more links - this time to Tales To Astonish #16 - both lifted from Ebay, both 10c copies but with completely different fonts. Maybe they were applied by hand?

TTA 16

TTA 16 2

......but if they were the guy doing it was very consistent in his placing!

And does that second image have the little star stamp we some times see on bronze Mark Jewellers copies?

Bit of help please - can I not add an image to a post direct from my computer so that the actual image shows in the post, rather than the URL link?

I think you're onto something here. I saw your Gunsmoke variant in the other post and have been pondering it. What is odd is that it's indicia says L Miller , not Thorpe & Porter. All online evidence suggests that Miller only did reprints and T & P were the sole distributors of Marvel originals. I'm planning to do some investigating on this and will report back. What is clear is that, as long as there is a cents priced Gunsmoke 63 without the L Miller indicia, then we have identified a new strand of variant. The debate would have to be what we call them . Really interesting stuff and, with the JIM example, a potential load of under the radar variants. I'll see what I can find out.

Thanks. It is definitely a newly discovered variant.

But yes, has anyone got another GS no.63 to show the indicia pls?

L Miller / T&P / Alan Class all shared printing and distribution resources over the 1950s and early 1960s. However, it is a good point. Unfortunately this is the only example I've seen so far - but I recall seeing stickered 9d cents comics previously.

Two more links - this time to Tales To Astonish #16 - both lifted from Ebay, both 10c copies but with completely different fonts. Maybe they were applied by hand?

TTA 16

TTA 16 2

Would someone be able to do that compare thing?

The 1st copy is almost certainly a UK "original owner" copy. WE need to see the indicia.

Naming conventions...?

ORIGINALS

Contents identical apart from price / date / indicia

Cents copy

Cents price variant (i.e. 15c, 30c or 35c)

Cents font variants (research needed)

Pence copy (i.e. 9d, 10d, later bronze Marvel & DC 8p, 9p, 10p etc)

Cents UK indicia (only GW no.63 so far)

"UK edition" is the term used by CGC - however they also use this on graded L Miller / Alan Class books (as below) so not consistent

There was another thread that had an early Golden Age New Fun with a pence price too!

BRITISH ORIGINAL REPRINTS

L Miller

T&P

Alan Class

Odhams

All 1st generation Marvel UK titles