• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mark Jewelers inserts...
19 19

1,020 posts in this topic

Just received an auction win of a Marvel Preview lot (#s16-25) today, and noticed that all of them had the Mark Jewelers insert in them. I've heard of this insert, which had been included in comics distributed from military bases toward the end of the Vietnam War. My question is, would this insert increase the value of a comic by a bit, if any?

Morning, all... :hi:

First and foremost, I'd like to thank everyone for participating & sharing their thoughts in regards to the MJI inserts; a lot of valuable knowledge when having an interest in this certain focus.

And now... an explanation & apology... :facepalm:

After getting back into comic collecting after a 9 year hiatus & 2 weeks prior to posting my question, the lot I won from eBay were Marvel Premieres (Iron Fist run) that have the inserts inside them. When inquiring about the inserts on the CS forum boards over 5 years ago, which was my second post on the boards, I mistakenly typed "Preview" instead of "Premiere". I never noticed, after 5 years of posting this question, that the typo was there...doh! Giving kudos to steveinthecity & ADAMANTIUM for catching it... :golfclap:

I very much apologize for the "typo"... it was never my intention to claim and/or falsify that I have seen or owned MJIs in any magazine sized/ square-bound comics, and hopefully haven't inadvertently given reason for collectors with this focus to go on a "wild goose chase". Again, all apologies.

I found this interesting and thought I would throw it onto this thread as it might be of interest....

I have a "Bubblicious Insert" in my Thor 336. Here are some pictures. I tried searching elsewhere but this was the only place on the site that had this topic.

My other copy of Thor 336 looks identical but has no evidence of any Bubblicious Insert being included at any time. Never even knew these existed until I was page counting this one.

vi3uJDCl.jpg

FeK537ll.jpg

UlgmKk1l.jpg

here is the thread I found about the subject which was sparse at best until I added some pictures myself.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=8682495#Post8682495

even with the pictures-- people are still responding with dumb jokes about chewing gum.

Like bow ties, Bubblicious Inserts are cool. Both Newsstand & Direct ASM 245 had them:

245%20bubbl%20de_zps6yx13kjq.jpg

245%20bubbl%20ne_zps7kadfkok.jpg

245%20ne%20bubb_zpswbsbd6te.jpg

245%20de%20bubb_zps7mq1wse0.jpg

I'm Still waiting on my ASM 129 MJI to come back, I was getting it signed (Iknowiknow:() but the guy I dropped it off in June 2016 has it still. He got the last signature 1st or 2nd week of November but it hasn't shown up at CGC yet or even in their system..... the guy did recently have medical issues, I guess it is just a waiting game :)(thumbs u:hi::foryou:

Mine made it to CGC, it's just the sig's weren't until later in this year.and been since June 2016... Looking forward to having them is all, the guy was very patient with me and since Romita cancelled I had to get a refund on that sig..... now it'll only be signed by Stan Lee (i know i know) I was kinda hoping for both of them one for cocreator of spiderman and one for the actual book.... Best laid plans sometimes only end up laid lol anyway I'm appreciative either way :)

the ASM 129 had tape on it when I got it :insane: I tried to peel it off, which is even more :insane: and discovered that the cover was barely attached rantrant

So I'm just really wondering how it is all going to turn out.... :makepoint:

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

I just picked up a huge Silver Bronze collection, I just skimmed through and saw a lot of those inserts from the 1970's and they look like to be all in high grade. This is a personal collector & he did work in a military base

I don't have any Pizzaz or Bubble Gum inserts....but the MJI seem to look like thicker paper so it seems they're in better shape when the comic goes to grading :)

Nice haul :cool:

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

I don't have any Pizzaz or Bubble Gum inserts....but the MJI seem to look like thicker paper so it seems they're in better shape when the comic goes to grading :)

The MJI's are sort of like having a backing board built into the centerfold which gave the comic additional support depending on how they were stored.

Hope the ASM #129 comes back to your liking.

The MJI's are sort of like having a backing board built into the centerfold which gave the comic additional support depending on how they were stored.

It depends on which ones are in there though. The earliest versions of the inserts (NDS) were more like detachable books within the comic that were printed on glossy paper. It made the comic thicker, but did not provide any additional support. Many, if not most of those were circulated at overseas bases, so those tend to actually be much harder to find in higher grade condition.

-J.

Thanks :) me too, it won't come back until early February :wishluck: