• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Ducks!
15 15

8,429 posts in this topic

They are very different… Each one stands on its own merits, IMO. :)

Keep the suggestions coming: more Mickey Mouse, more comic book significant stories in general, not just ducks… (thumbs u

Some of the early Dell Four Colors and movie adaptions are fun stories. In no particular order:

Snow White

Bambi and Bambi's Children

Pinocchio

Snow White Meets the Seven Dwarfs

Three Caballeros

Also:

Mickey and Beanstalk is good fun and Mickey's Sky Adventure is worth a read.

Sure, I have Snow White in the italian edition, and also a few years ago I collected all the Snow White follow-up stories realized here, the earliest ones are great. :)

Out of curiosity, most of these were released as syndicated strips first, right?

Aside from the Three Caballeros, I guess.

The second Snow White adventure, "Snow White and the Sorcerer Basilisk", originally serialized in color in 1939 and then collected in two-color in this wonderful album (this one is an anastatic reprint, it's very pricey and nice copies go for over $1000):

DSCN3690.jpg

DSCN3682.jpg

DSCN3685.jpg

DSCN3684.jpg

DSCN3687.jpg

Death of the evil sorcerer and end of the story:

DSCN3688.jpg

DSCN3689.jpg

Sure, I have Snow White in the italian edition, and also a few years ago I collected all the Snow White follow-up stories realized here, the earliest ones are great. :)

Out of curiosity, most of these were released as syndicated strips first, right?

The second Snow White adventure, "Snow White and the Sorcerer Basilisk", originally serialized in color in 1939 and then collected in two-color in this wonderful album (this one is an anastatic reprint, it's very pricey and nice copies go for over $1000):

Wow those are beautiful; Italian only I assume. Some of the early four color movie editions were created for the comics only and not the newspapers I believe. Dumbo is another one but I don't have a copy of that in the collection yet.

The Snow White books remind me a little of some of the OZ illustration work. That is nice work too. There is an interesting resemblance of that work to the work of H.G. Peter in Wonder Woman. It's the pen and ink work that has an early twentieth century feel to it that gives it some great character.

DSCN3690.jpg

DSCN3682.jpg

DSCN3685.jpg

DSCN3684.jpg

DSCN3687.jpg

Death of the evil sorcerer and end of the story:

DSCN3688.jpg

DSCN3689.jpg

Nice

They are very different… Each one stands on its own merits, IMO. :)

Keep the suggestions coming: more Mickey Mouse, more comic book significant stories in general, not just ducks… (thumbs u

Some of the early Dell Four Colors and movie adaptions are fun stories. In no particular order:

Snow White

Bambi and Bambi's Children

Pinocchio

Snow White Meets the Seven Dwarfs

Three Caballeros

Also:

Mickey and Beanstalk is good fun and Mickey's Sky Adventure is worth a read.

I enjoyed the MIckey and the Beanstalk cartoon and the Three Caballeros got a lot of play on TV.

23510745153_6527162f8b_c.jpg

INDUCKS entry: https://coa.inducks.org/story.php?c=I+PG+++72-B

and how it originally appeared (in color) in the italian comics journal "Paperino" (which was devoted to Donald Duck):

23m0cxg.jpg

That looks great. Does anyone have the Snow White issue of Mickey Mouse Magazine. How much of the story did they reprint in there?

30527821821_b76e6f533c_o.jpg

Edited by BB-Gun

The Dell Snow White book is probably the most reprinted of the classic Dell Four Color series. From it's intial print in four color 49 it was reprinted once in the four color series, then again in the Gold Key line and then as a TOPS comic reprint. That was all before 1970. After that it would likely have appeared in WD Comics Digest (not sure) and then other reprint editions.

INDUCKS entry: https://coa.inducks.org/story.php?c=I+PG+++72-B

and how it originally appeared (in color) in the italian comics journal "Paperino" (which was devoted to Donald Duck):

23m0cxg.jpg

That looks great. Does anyone have the Snow White issue of Mickey Mouse Magazine. How much of the story did they reprint in there?

30527821821_b76e6f533c_o.jpg

I'll answer my own question. Snow White was primarily a text story with some illustrations apparently. I found this scan on ebay.

30527906611_c6a11c0cf0_b.jpg

Wow, that Italian Snow White story is amazing. I thought she was confronting Satan :fear: until I read he was a sorcerer!

Thanks for posting!

Thanks everyone… :foryou:

In fact the Sorcerer Basilisk is a quite disturbing character: one of the big Disney italian villains… used only once as (like the Witch) he dies in this story.

Basically, at the beginning he kidnaps Snow White and the Prince's son (we are briefed at the beginning of the story that they have had a baby after their marriage) to make the child "his heir" by transfering to him his "powers to curse". :eek: See this panel:

Basilisco.jpg

@BB-Gun: No reprint, as I explained. "Snow White and the sorcerer Basilisk" and "The Good Seven Dwarves against the Evil Seven Dwarves" are the two very first original stories created in Italy after the publication of the original story, adapted from the movie. Links to both stories from INDUCKS:

https://coa.inducks.org/story.php?c=I+PG+++72-B

https://coa.inducks.org/story.php?c=I+PG++101-B

The original story from the movie, after its first edition on comics journals, in Italy was collected in this album, which is issue 66:

gCXVgRUh.jpg

The follow-up, "Snow White and the sorcerer Basilisk" first appered on the journal Paperino, and then was collected in the same title ("Nel Regno di Topolino") as issue 92:

KebDIYHh.jpg

These pictures are anastatic reprints, as found pictures on the web for the originals are tiny or ugly, but they look the same (like your Alan Light reprints for GA material).

These two Snow White new stories are also among the very first italian production: his creator and writer, Federico Pedrocchi, which died young because of an allied bombing during the war, was quite a genius and laid the basis for our own school of Disney authors.

So basically the original story, the movie adaptation was in newspapers first:

https://coa.inducks.org/story.php?c=ZS+3701

and then reprinted in Four Color #49, right?

https://coa.inducks.org/issue.php?c=us/OS+++49#02

Here’s how it was adapted in two-colors when reprinted in "Nel Regno di Topolino" #66 in Italy (first italian edition was in journals, and in color like the USA one).

it_nrt_066b_001.jpg

Edited by vaillant

Wow those are beautiful; Italian only I assume. Some of the early four color movie editions were created for the comics only and not the newspapers I believe. Dumbo is another one but I don't have a copy of that in the collection yet.

Yes, unfortunately all of the italian Snow White stories (and they are a lot!) as far as I know are still unpublished in USA.

But IDW is doing an awesome job in publishing several italian classics (recently "Mickey Mouse and the Chirikawa necklace") right now: support them and who knows? :)

Let's hope the most important stories will be published in english at some point…

This is the original I should get in December. I wasn’t willing to spend $1000 or more to have a nice copy, so very excited to purchase this from a friend ("Nel Regno di Topolino" #92 is from 1939, and one of the most sought after issues):

pBcRKNkh.jpg