• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Non-Four Color Dells
4 4

516 posts in this topic

The book hasn't turned me into a big Tarzan fan but it sure was a lot of fun to read and a reminder that you can't go wrong with a DELL GIANT! Cost - $25 Fun Factor - Priceless!

The set of the Tarzan Jungle Annuals is really fun. Packed as you said with Dell goodness and not to be missed. Thanks for posting this good looking copy [and the interiors :) ]

Thanks for the review and the interior pics.

A lot of fun stories in those Tarzan comics.

A Disney but not a duck:

15-07-201252811PM.jpg

:popcorn:

That's a nice copy. The Mickey books were always such also rans compared to the duck books. I always wondered who bought them as the stories were so tame by comparison. I've got a few in the post four color Dell series I'll have to pull out and reread but they were normally yawners!!

A Disney but not a duck:

15-07-201252811PM.jpg

:popcorn:

While I get Mickey didn't have a 'Barks' handling his comic adventures, it would still be cool to see a set of covers featuring the icon from around the early Duck book days Hep if you have them. :popcorn:

It's funny; it's probably the first time ever I looked up that series in GCD.

Here's the link to the Cover Gallery -

http://www.comics.org/series/874/covers/

Never realized that it started in 1952 nor have I had any incline to pick them up. I have read several of the Four Color issues here and there and that was enough to kill any interest on my part :P

It's funny; it's probably the first time ever I looked up that series in GCD.

Here's the link to the Cover Gallery -

http://www.comics.org/series/874/covers/

Never realized that it started in 1952 nor have I had any incline to pick them up. I have read several of the Four Color issues here and there and that was enough to kill any interest on my part :P

I'll have to double check if I have any from the Dell run. I don't think I do as they would always have been a secondary consideration to anything else available. Nice covers but that's where it ends. Some of the later Gold Key / Western issues had some Paul Murray reprints that were passable.

I'll be diving in the comic closet later this afternoon; let's see what turns up.

Well I do have a couple of Dell Mickey's it turns out. First up is well worn and loved issue #51 from 1956 that I must have owned since at least around 1972 or 1973 as I applied tape to the tears because Overstreet said that was OK!! Pretty mundane fare inside with the majority of the book being created by Tony Strobl. Pau Murray's cover is the highlight here and he performs some OK (but not great) work on the Li'l Bad Wolf too. All is not lost as there is an ad for Gilbert American Flyer trains on the last page of the book! The back cover Schwinn ad rocks it too featuring the Mark II Jaguar bike.

After that I found issue #80 from 1961 which is a little cleaner and also features two longer stories by Paul Murray but the cover by Tony Strobl. Kind of the reverse of issue #51. There's still the Li'l Bad Wolf and Schwinn is still pitching bikes on the back cover although this one is called the American. I note the bike decor has cleaned up reflecting the trends in American auto styling!!

Anyway, not the greatest of the Dell books and the fact that I only have two in my collection from the Dell non-four color run may attest to their relative low popularity. Yet they are still Dell comics and as we know, even a bad Dell comic is a good comic!!

165803.jpg.a1ef3ccb85613d8385b929a01c6d2c4e.jpg

165804.jpg.a46d70e3b6d45aa66f7be1784ed56d66.jpg

165805.jpg.c2dda5db3154a6b6673b537931286468.jpg

Edited by 40YrsCollctngCmcs

And #4

[Bugs_Bunny_Halloween_4a_zpskih9tea2.jpg

Bugs_Bunny_Halloween_4b_zpsvaaxa2jl.jpg

It's not like any of the Bugs Bunny Dell Giants are particularly hard to find, but I would say the Halloween issues are a bit scarcer than the others. I wonder if they had a shorter shelf life before being pushed out by the Christmas Giants?

Edited by OtherEric

Well I do have a couple of Dell Mickey's it turns out. First up is well worn and loved issue #51 from 1956 that I must have owned since at least around 1972 or 1973 as I applied tape to the tears because Overstreet said that was OK!! Pretty mundane fare inside with the majority of the book being created by Tony Strobl. Pau Murray's cover is the highlight here and he performs some OK (but not great) work on the Li'l Bad Wolf too. All is not lost as there is an ad for Gilbert American Flyer trains on the last page of the book! The back cover Schwinn ad rocks it too featuring the Mark II Jaguar bike.

After that I found issue #80 from 1961 which is a little cleaner and also features two longer stories by Paul Murray but the cover by Tony Strobl. Kind of the reverse of issue #51. There's still the Li'l Bad Wolf and Schwinn is still pitching bikes on the back cover although this one is called the American. I note the bike decor has cleaned up reflecting the trends in American auto styling!!

Anyway, not the greatest of the Dell books and the fact that I only have two in my collection from the Dell non-four color run may attest to their relative low popularity. Yet they are still Dell comics and as we know, even a bad Dell comic is a good comic!!

Cool Set, thanks for posting! (thumbs u

I said I would post these a few days ago, then never got around to it. Still, I figure I'm in time for the holiday:

Bugs_Bunny_Halloween_1a_zpszlxmzwfc.jpg

Bugs_Bunny_Halloween_1b_zpsqxe7c4y5.jpg

And there's Daffy (on the back cover!!). He got no love on the group books back then. Nice of you to post the back covers along with the fronts :applause: Edited by Sagii

I said I would post these a few days ago, then never got around to it. Still, I figure I'm in time for the holiday:

Bugs_Bunny_Halloween_1a_zpszlxmzwfc.jpg

Bugs_Bunny_Halloween_1b_zpsqxe7c4y5.jpg

And there's Daffy (on the back cover!!). He got no love on the group books back then. Nice of you to post the back covers along with the fronts :applause:

Daffy was bizarrely underused in the Looney Tunes books other than his own title, for some reason. And happy to post both sides. Now if I can just track down the 3 Bugs giants where I've got the **** ad version instead of the good one...