• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pre-Heat Speculation Thread - Get it before it gets HOT
9 9

2,180 posts in this topic

OHJqnxGl.jpg

"Ask me about my book getting cancelled because nobody was buying this SJW BS"

I actually have the complete series and the only SJW thing about it is Bobbi's t-shirt in the last issue. Besides, I'm pretty sure it was already cancelled before that cover was released. :eyeroll:

Alas, the point about no one buying is unfortunately true. Too bad. It was a fun, light-hearted read.

I actually have the complete series and the only SJW thing about it is Bobbi's t-shirt in the last issue.

This isn't true at all. How many screenshots would you like me to post?

Screenshot_20161027-180509.jpg

Screenshot_20161027-180642.jpg

Screenshot_20161027-180550.png

Screenshot_20161027-180755.jpg

The claim about MOST girls being interested in math and science isn't even true.

Poorly written book with a-notch-above-web-comic art hitting the reader in the head with the plight of the modern woman and girl empowerment over and over again while taking a combative and insulting stance toward men. I'm at a loss as to why this book never found an audience.

I actually have the complete series and the only SJW thing about it is Bobbi's t-shirt in the last issue.

The claim about MOST girls being interested in math and science isn't even true.

Poorly written book with a-notch-above-web-comic art hitting the reader in the head with the plight of the modern woman and girl empowerment over and over again while taking a combative and insulting stance toward men. I'm at a loss as to why this book never found an audience.

Unreliable narrator. Very unreliable narrator. I literally lol'd at the math and science comment when I first read it because it's just patently untrue. That said, I did go to a nerd school where majority of the female population were either math or science nerds so while they're probably a rare breed, they do exist. Of course, Bobbi's super spy idea of fitting in at a nerd cruise is to get all dolled up in a sequined gown. :eyeroll:

As for male superheroes being more popular than female ones, it's just the truth isn't it? Honestly, I don't expect that to change given comic reading demographics.

Mockingbird is undeniably pro-female, irreverent and very tongue-in-cheek. I guess I'm just not seeing the SJW aspects.

Mockingbird is undeniably pro-female, irreverent and very tongue-in-cheek. I guess I'm just not seeing the SJW aspects.

You're not seeing them because they aren't there. SJW has about as much meaning as hipster to a large population of people...they both are used to describe people that are "others" or simply people with ideas they don't like. They both mean anything and nothing.

That cover is funny and tongue-in-cheek. None of that dialogue is hostile toward men. Like aerishcan said, it's simply pro-female. I know some of ya'll confuse the two.

Edited by Beastfeast

Judging by the way Hillbilly has been received. What are the odds Spook House sells out and generates the same hype? I would imagine being an Albatross book it will have a low print run.. Thoughts? And I bought two copies, one for reading and one to get signed next time I see Powell.

You're not seeing them because they aren't there. SJW has about as much meaning as hipster to a large population of people...they both are used to describe people that are "others" or simply people with ideas they don't like. They both mean anything and nothing.

That cover is funny and tongue-in-cheek. None of that dialogue is hostile toward men. Like aerishcan said, it's simply pro-female. I know some of ya'll confuse the two.

+1

Perhaps you should read the books. Those pages were simply a two to three page sample from one issue.

Unreliable narrator. Very unreliable narrator. I literally lol'd at the math and science comment when I first read it because it's just patently untrue. That said, I did go to a nerd school where majority of the female population were either math or science nerds so while they're probably a rare breed, they do exist. Of course, Bobbi's super spy idea of fitting in at a nerd cruise is to get all dolled up in a sequined gown. :eyeroll:

As for male superheroes being more popular than female ones, it's just the truth isn't it? Honestly, I don't expect that to change given comic reading demographics.

My wife is a scientist. But criminey, she is bad at math.

The two don't necessarily go hand in hand.

The 'math and science' comment in the book is ironic. You expect her to say she's obsessed with boys, but she flips it around to show you that she's a geek who isn't like other girls. Sarcasm.

I also don't get it as Marvel has always been keen on having some female super heroes. Admittedly, none with their own title until...The Cat? Actually, that's pretty bad come to think of it. Sure, Antman/Giant Man & Wasp were featured in TOA and it was DD & Black Widow for a while, but really, no solo super hero title until Patsy Walker got super powers?

My wife is a scientist. But criminey, she is bad at math.

The two don't necessarily go hand in hand.

I know. There's a reason I specifically mentioned math or science in my post. ;)

Some observations from a very small sample size (my former HS classmates). Most of my female classmates favored biology and environmental sciences while my male classmates tend towards math and physics. There are some rare exceptions but that was the norm. Mind, none of my female classmates were bad at math. Good basic math skills are necessary to enter the school. It's just that the males seem to have more aptitude for math/physics and we did have some genius-level Mensa members (Mensa came to our school and administered the exam to anyone interested).

I thought the Heckraiser story in Spook House was hilarious.
It is tonights read. Last night was Conan #4, which I have enjoyed that series immensely.

Conan the Slayer??? I'm a big Conan fan but the past two ongoings didn't hold me all the way through. I read #1 of Slayer, and was not that stoked so I have not gotten the rest. The King Conan minis are all very good though IMO.

I thought the Heckraiser story in Spook House was hilarious.
It is tonights read. Last night was Conan #4, which I have enjoyed that series immensely.

Conan the Slayer??? I'm a big Conan fan but the past two ongoings didn't hold me all the way through. I read #1 of Slayer, and was not that stoked so I have not gotten the rest. The King Conan minis are all very good though IMO.

Yea, I have enjoyed it. I never read Conan before, just picked it up on a whim.

"You don't need a y chromosome to be a superhero, you just need balls."

:facepalm: Writing comics for Marvel must pay beans if this is what they are throwing out there. Wow

We're not the target audience for these books anymore. They are shooting for those snap-chatting type crowd.

I also don't get it as Marvel has always been keen on having some female super heroes. Admittedly, none with their own title until...The Cat? Actually, that's pretty bad come to think of it. Sure, Antman/Giant Man & Wasp were featured in TOA and it was DD & Black Widow for a while, but really, no solo super hero title until Patsy Walker got super powers?

The Cat was a good series, Wally Wood's inks on the 1st issue are just beautiful!