• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Unofficial Underground Comix thread...
14 14

2,279 posts in this topic

Nice Murder WP.

Today I finally got a chance to catch the Crumb exhibit that's been showing in Basel since July.

drawntogethers.jpg

Chatted with the curator and she mentioned this show was headed to NY before long, so there's a chance for some of you on the East Coast to catch it. I would highly recommend it to any Crumb (or Kominsky-Crumb) enthusiasts.

Here some highlights:

Some amazing early work:

dce20e4c-9a76-4dea-a385-c15728aa7b4b.jpg

Detail of Charles' weird line work.

42a8263e-9d72-4a68-9aa9-9fbe850498f6.jpg

Some sick vintage Crumb pieces.

head%20smash.jpg

village%20other.jpg

c569e788-7ee2-4819-b225-2dc76b975abd.jpg

Some record related stuff (they had a whole room full of the more contemporary music-related and Art & Beauty type work).

69f7ff0e-cbb9-4102-9fa7-1130d1502a83.jpg

Placemats... sorry for the Crumby pic ;)

0e7c40c8-74c7-4565-b470-f4f41790b202.jpg

Last but not least there was this little gem:

zap16.jpg

The show was primarily focused on Aline and Robert's Dirty Laundry, collaborative work. Also Aline's solo work from Power Pak Comics and Wimmen's Comix, I just happened not to take too many pictures of that stuff.

It was good fun, hope you enjoy perusing!

Edited by erehwon

Yes on both counts. According to the curator the exhibition catalog has some unpublished Robert & Aline collaborative work in it.

Exhibition Catalog

Poster

Thanks. looks like Amazon will be carrying the book. Curious that it has the same title as the collection that came out a few years ago. Page count is smaller, though. I'm wondering if it's worth getting due to redundancy. Blurb says it has material unpublished in Europe...interesting way to put it. Did you buy a copy? If so can you comment on it versus the other book with the same title? Any other thoughts about it as a Crumbist?

Another R Crumb event is happening soon in San Francisco. Heritage Auctions is having a preview of the Eric Sack Collection. They are billing it as the most important selection of artwork by Robert Crumb to ever appear at auction. If anyone wants more info PM me

scan0054_zpsoavnbdna.jpg

Yes on both counts. According to the curator the exhibition catalog has some unpublished Robert & Aline collaborative work in it.

Exhibition Catalog

Poster

Thanks. looks like Amazon will be carrying the book. Curious that it has the same title as the collection that came out a few years ago. Page count is smaller, though. I'm wondering if it's worth getting due to redundancy. Blurb says it has material unpublished in Europe...interesting way to put it. Did you buy a copy? If so can you comment on it versus the other book with the same title? Any other thoughts about it as a Crumbist?

I didn't buy one. I also don't have the collection that came out a few years ago, so I can't really say whether its worth getting... The blurb on the museum page also says that it has material unpublished in Europe. The curator didn't use this caveat, but it has me thinking the material has been published in the United States, possibly in the first Drawn Together book.

Another R Crumb event is happening soon in San Francisco. Heritage Auctions is having a preview of the Eric Sack Collection. They are billing it as the most important selection of artwork by Robert Crumb to ever appear at auction. If anyone wants more info PM me

Just as an interesting aside. A number of the more iconic Crumb pieces in the pictures from the Basel Cartoonmuseum (Bijou cover, East Village Other, Yellow Dog cover) are on loan from the Sack Collection.

Still looking for interior scans or pictures of Goose Lake Gags if anyone has 'em. Thanks!

How amusing, seeing this post! The music-related comix thread (within this thread) just popped in my head moments ago and I wondered, to myself, if anyone had mentioned Goose Lake Gags or Miami Pop Festival Official Program & Map.

There was also Snuk Comix, the ultra-rare comic that Skip Williamson did for the band Wilderness Road, as well as The Pink Floyd (both UK and US editions). These may have been mentioned, but I'm too lazy at present to go back and check. :)

The tally so far

1) Grunt 1 and 2

2) Scratchatune Comics

3) Weard Comics

4) Adventures of Kaptain Kopter & Commander Cassidy in Potato Land

5) Hollywood Fats

6) Pink Floyd

7) Rolling Stones Concert Comix (2 editions)

8) Tales from Dr. Feelgood

9) Rock Horror

Added by members after initial posting

1) Kanned Korn

2) Saga of Yukon Pete

3) Barbarian Women 3 – may not count; contents of flexi have to be determined

4) Douglas Comix

5) Song of an Aeropteryx

6) Hot Tub Tapeworm" and "Buy Til You Die" by Jane J. Oliver

7) Amra Amra meets the Lurker

8) Gas Comics 1 and 2

9) Breezy Stories

10) Flash Fearless versus The Zorg Women parts 5 & 6

11) Goose Lake Gags

12) Miami Pop Festival Official Program & Map.

13) Snuk Comix

14) Captive Chains

15) Shiva's Headband

16) Planet Gong

Edited by dannyboycheapyboy

Still looking for interior scans or pictures of Goose Lake Gags if anyone has 'em. Thanks!

How amusing, seeing this post! The music-related comix thread (within this thread) just popped in my head moments ago and I wondered, to myself, if anyone had mentioned Goose Lake Gags or Miami Pop Festival Official Program & Map.

There was also Snuk Comix, the ultra-rare comic that Skip Williamson did for the band Wilderness Road, as well as The Pink Floyd (both UK and US editions). These may have been mentioned, but I'm too lazy at present to go back and check. :)

That is funny. A bit of UG synchronicity. :grin:

I don't take it you have a copy lying around that you could snap a couple pictures of the interior pages of?

If we expand the rubric from album related to music related comix there are a number of great titles to consider (not least of which are the ones you just mentioned).

A couple of more biggies that come to mind are Amra-Arma Meets the Lurkers Within, Shiva's Headband, and Planet Gong Newspaper, all of which are band related.

We might also consider other comics sold at music venues like Armadillotoons (which, by the way features art by Captain Beefheart), Gas Comics 1 & 2, and Tales from the Ozone #1. We could (and probably should) also consider Raymond Pettibon's Captive Chains, which was (self) published by SST records.

The tally so far

1) Grunt 1 and 2

2) Scratchatune Comics

3) Weard Comics

4) Adventures of Kaptain Kopter & Commander Cassidy in Potato Land

5) Hollywood Fats

6) Pink Floyd

7) Rolling Stones Concert Comix (2 editions)

8) Tales from Dr. Feelgood

9) Rock Horror

Added by members after initial posting

1) Kanned Korn

2) Saga of Yukon Pete

3) Barbarian Women 3 – may not count; contents of flexi have to be determined

4) Douglas Comix

5) Song of an Aeropteryx

6) Hot Tub Tapeworm" and "Buy Til You Die" by Jane J. Oliver

7) S. Clay Wilson's "Bernice Saves Grizzly Harry”

8) Rodney Schroeter's "The Weirdo #1

9) Breezy Stories

10) Flash Fearless versus The Zorg Women parts 5 & 6

11) Goose Lake Gags

12) Miami Pop Festival Official Program & Map.

13) Snuk Comix

Excellent running tally Dan!

I should clarify, I only mentioned S. Clay Wilson's "Bernice Saves Grizzly Harry” and Rodney Schroeter's "The Weirdo #1" as examples of 1-page comix, not because they are music related.