• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is Mile High a reference to their prices?
5 5

648 posts in this topic

Exactly.

I have zero faith that the majority of Chuck's stash is high-grade Silver-Bronze, even 9.2 or better.

And if the bulk of his 1965-1980 books are more like avg. 7.0, then it just reflects the market anyway. Common books are common books - his dumping all of them at once wouldn't affect the market at all.

Who cares if there are 55 raw copies of say...X-Men # 124 or Thor # 170 on the open market in 7.0-8.5 shape vs. 96 copies?

Now, if it were an additional 40 or so copies in strict 9.6 that's a different story...

The number of copies will effect the overall collectable market, and he does have the power to break the comic books market by selling 1,000,000 issues at 10 cents a piece and then still having at least 10.4 million comic books left..do not under estimate chuck...11.4 million books is a remarkable achievement but that is power...plain and simple...he can control the market especially 1965 marvels and up as well any recent comic bookks...He is buying competitors out left and right, he is taking over the market share of available comic books for sale, he is coming on strong now...buying agressivly.

I dont think chuck would do that BUT if the mile high collection was dumped on the market...there will be no market after the flood of comic books overwhelming the comic book market..buyer beware

Mitch - I think you're just flat out wrong here.

Because the books that have the most collector value (say, 1965-1975 Marvel/DC superhero) probably take up a very small percentage of Chuck's stock.

And again, I seriously doubt than any decent proportion of those is actually 9.0/9.2 or better.

So what's the worst case scenario?

He dumps hundreds of thousands of books that are either commons in mid-high grades or a few thousand key books in mid-grades. Neither would move the market much.

Let's say he dumps 300 copies each of the 1968 Marvel # 1s on the market (Iron Man # 1, Sub-Mariner # 1, Cap 100, etc.) all in the same month.

I still maintain those books would average out to ~7.0, not even 8.5-9.0.

Would this affect short-term values? Sure -- but the market would absorb these and within two years (max) prices would reset.

Add in say:

500 copies of Peter Parker # 1 in 8.5-9.2;

300 copies of Shazam # 1 in 9.0

50 sets of X-Men # 100-143 in avg. 8.5

80 sets of Miller Daredevil in avg. 9.4

50 sets of New Teen Titans 1-20 in 9.4

And then a bunch of random Silver Age issues like say:

300 copies of Avengers # 24 in avg. 7.0

250 copies of Hulk # 108 in avg. 7.0

etc.

None of these books would have an appreciable effect on the market, primarily because the comic community at large already knows these types of books are common.

Do you really believe Chuck's sitting on 200 copies of Marvel Spotlight 5 in 8.0 or higher?

Even 30 copies of ASM 129 (in any grade)?

More than 10 copies of Werewolf by Night 32 (again, in any grade)?

I maintain he's already sold the bulk of these most liquid keys esp. when he "needed the money."

The closet thing I've seen to dumping was a decade ago when Showcase New England sold around 40 mid-grade copies of Ghost Rider # 1 (1950) on eBay all at once. The copies ranged from 5.0 to 8.5 and all sold at about 40-60% of market value at the time.

Guess what?

The market's rebounded. There was no lasting damage.

And a key point here is that stash was still preciously devoid of high-grade copies.

There are now 95 unrestored copies on the CGC Census - which is probably a lot for a minor key from 1950. But only 7 of them are in true 9.2 or higher.

Well we're not really saying "he will do it" right? so all this is speculatory, but even if it did happen and it affected short term values, we would all start buying at the lower price knowing the market would absorb it and then have---comics we love or investment profit-- or both

If he is reading this....

Is he threatning to do this at all? mentioned that he controls the market? or are we talking about if his descendants inherit then choose to unload....? :juggle:

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

Exactly.

I have zero faith that the majority of Chuck's stash is high-grade Silver-Bronze, even 9.2 or better.

And if the bulk of his 1965-1980 books are more like avg. 7.0, then it just reflects the market anyway. Common books are common books - his dumping all of them at once wouldn't affect the market at all.

Who cares if there are 55 raw copies of say...X-Men # 124 or Thor # 170 on the open market in 7.0-8.5 shape vs. 96 copies?

Now, if it were an additional 40 or so copies in strict 9.6 that's a different story...

The number of copies will effect the overall collectable market, and he does have the power to break the comic books market by selling 1,000,000 issues at 10 cents a piece and then still having at least 10.4 million comic books left..do not under estimate chuck...11.4 million books is a remarkable achievement but that is power...plain and simple...he can control the market especially 1965 marvels and up as well any recent comic bookks...He is buying competitors out left and right, he is taking over the market share of available comic books for sale, he is coming on strong now...buying agressivly.

I dont think chuck would do that BUT if the mile high collection was dumped on the market...there will be no market after the flood of comic books overwhelming the comic book market..buyer beware

Mitch - I think you're just flat out wrong here.

Because the books that have the most collector value (say, 1965-1975 Marvel/DC superhero) probably take up a very small percentage of Chuck's stock.

And again, I seriously doubt than any decent proportion of those is actually 9.0/9.2 or better.

So what's the worst case scenario?

He dumps hundreds of thousands of books that are either commons in mid-high grades or a few thousand key books in mid-grades. Neither would move the market much.

Let's say he dumps 300 copies each of the 1968 Marvel # 1s on the market (Iron Man # 1, Sub-Mariner # 1, Cap 100, etc.) all in the same month.

I still maintain those books would average out to ~7.0, not even 8.5-9.0.

Would this affect short-term values? Sure -- but the market would absorb these and within two years (max) prices would reset.

Add in say:

500 copies of Peter Parker # 1 in 8.5-9.2;

300 copies of Shazam # 1 in 9.0

50 sets of X-Men # 100-143 in avg. 8.5

80 sets of Miller Daredevil in avg. 9.4

50 sets of New Teen Titans 1-20 in 9.4

And then a bunch of random Silver Age issues like say:

300 copies of Avengers # 24 in avg. 7.0

250 copies of Hulk # 108 in avg. 7.0

etc.

None of these books would have an appreciable effect on the market, primarily because the comic community at large already knows these types of books are common.

Do you really believe Chuck's sitting on 200 copies of Marvel Spotlight 5 in 8.0 or higher?

Even 30 copies of ASM 129 (in any grade)?

More than 10 copies of Werewolf by Night 32 (again, in any grade)?

I maintain he's already sold the bulk of these most liquid keys esp. when he "needed the money."

The closet thing I've seen to dumping was a decade ago when Showcase New England sold around 40 mid-grade copies of Ghost Rider # 1 (1950) on eBay all at once. The copies ranged from 5.0 to 8.5 and all sold at about 40-60% of market value at the time.

Guess what?

The market's rebounded. There was no lasting damage.

And a key point here is that stash was still preciously devoid of high-grade copies.

There are now 95 unrestored copies on the CGC Census - which is probably a lot for a minor key from 1950. But only 7 of them are in true 9.2 or higher.

...a lot of that Mile High II stuff is long gone. Chuck took out loans to secure those books. There was an agent for an unspecified dealer who made the rounds in this area (and many other areas....) back in the early to mid 80's selling boxes with multiple copies of one or two comics per box at very attractive wholesale prices. These were shopped around to more successful owners of LCS operations. A friend of mine bought many of these lots. One box had 100 or so copies of ASM 129...... guiding then at 50bucks or so, but at that time was not a fast sale. He bought boxfuls of Steranko ST issues, Kirby Thors, Romita ASM's....... he had boatloads of ASM 66 and 67 for years..... as well as Thor 133.... those are just the ones I remember. Chuck took a lien on his business to acquire these books..... he did not have the luxury to squirrel them away. My guess would be that 10 to 20 percent of his stock is premium material..... the rest would likely be dollar box on steroids books..... enough for each collector in the country to buy 10 and the hoard would be assimilated and gone. I do like Chuck, though...... possibly the hardest working man in show business.... GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a fiend of jesus) (thumbs u

Edited by jimjum12

I don't think many here have bad feelings about Chuck-- just that his prices are unreasonable compared to market. The deals they found in that trip to his store where nothing I collect. All the prices for things I do collect were way more than I can find them for through other means. I guess if you are into variants, he has a nice selection.

Still-- the next time I am in Denver and have some time, I might check out the store simply to see what it is like. I kind of get the idea from various videos but it might be neat to experience it in person. But I would not make the trip there just to check out the store as the sole reason.

by the way-- what online store were they using to compare his prices? (the part where the Iron Man was priced at like $80 and the onine had it at $3.20)

I don't think many here have bad feelings about Chuck-- just that his prices are unreasonable compared to market. The deals they found in that trip to his store where nothing I collect. All the prices for things I do collect were way more than I can find them for through other means. I guess if you are into variants, he has a nice selection.

Still-- the next time I am in Denver and have some time, I might check out the store simply to see what it is like. I kind of get the idea from various videos but it might be neat to experience it in person. But I would not make the trip there just to check out the store as the sole reason.

by the way-- what online store were they using to compare his prices? (the part where the Iron Man was priced at like $80 and the onine had it at $3.20)

Being the OP of this thread I believe it is important to address this.

I want to state publicly that I hold no bad feelings toward Chuck as either a person or Mile High as a business.

Although it has been a number of years since I have purchased anything from Mile High, I will say Chuck has never personally cheated me or treated me unfairly.

This thread was NOT started because I don't like Chuck, or because I don't believe he has a right to charge whatever he wants for the comics he owns.

This was started because I was amazed that in today's world of easy internet access, where prices on easily accessible books can be quickly compared, that Chuck could even stay in business.

When a person's price on an easy to find item is not a fraction higher than the competition, but multiples of it, I was baffled as to how Chuck could continue to sell books.

Who is buying these books and why do they choose Mile High?

I am NOT a big buyer of modern books or variants, so I cannot comment on that market. Perhaps that is his niche and perhaps those prices are acceptable. I really don't know.

My original post compared several of Chuck's rather common low grade SA books to some competitors. In this arena it seemed like buying from Chuck would be equivalent to throwing your money into a huge bonfire.

My main area of interest, however, is GA and Chuck's selection in that arena seems rather sparse for someone who own 10 or 11 million books.

Let me repeat, however, for the record, I have no bad feelings or ill will toward Chuck or Mile High. As a seller, Chuck has the absolute right to charge what he wants. Thankfully, as a buyer, I have the right to take my business elsewhere. That is the free market system we live in.

I second that, but what are chucks intentions when he is buying out comic book business after and bragging about the fact that the Las Vegas dealer tried to compete with him, but his business model costs put the other dealer out of business and he pays 1 1/2 cents per book. Just look at the video, at least 100,000 probably 120,000 comics for 1500 dollars...at 1 cent to 1 1/2 cents a book and he selling them at the bargain price of 75 cents to a one dollar a book, at almost 100 times profit per book.

He has a plan...to corner the comic book market by sheer force...such that his selection will be the "only game in town" then with this power HE will set the prices you pay..not the market...he is going out and buying more as we speak and at 11.5 million comic books he is still going strong.

Edited by Mmehdy

Being the OP of this thread I believe it is important to address this.

I want to state publicly that I hold no bad feelings toward Chuck as either a person or Mile High as a business.

Although it has been a number of years since I have purchased anything from Mile High, I will say Chuck has never personally cheated me or treated me unfairly.

This thread was NOT started because I don't like Chuck, or because I don't believe he has a right to charge whatever he wants for the comics he owns.

This was started because I was amazed that in today's world of easy internet access, where prices on easily accessible books can be quickly compared, that Chuck could even stay in business.

When a person's price on an easy to find item is not a fraction higher than the competition, but multiples of it, I was baffled as to how Chuck could continue to sell books.

Who is buying these books and why do they choose Mile High?

I am NOT a big buyer of modern books or variants, so I cannot comment on that market. Perhaps that is his niche and perhaps those prices are acceptable. I really don't know.

My original post compared several of Chuck's rather common low grade SA books to some competitors. In this arena it seemed like buying from Chuck would be equivalent to throwing your money into a huge bonfire.

My main area of interest, however, is GA and Chuck's selection in that arena seems rather sparse for someone who own 10 or 11 million books.

Let me repeat, however, for the record, I have no bad feelings or ill will toward Chuck or Mile High. As a seller, Chuck has the absolute right to charge what he wants. Thankfully, as a buyer, I have the right to take my business elsewhere. That is the free market system we live in.

I don't dislike him any more than I dislike most people. (shrug)

I've done the same price comparisons. I also don't see how MH stays in business. Sometimes I can find expensive comics there (under $2) but otherwise their prices are 10x more expensive. I like Chuck, I enjoy his emails and his articles from the old Comic Buyer's Guide. But I don't see why anyone would buy from MH, their prices aren't even close to Lone Star, Metropolis, etc.

He has a plan...to corner the comic book market by sheer force...such that his selection will be the "only game in town" then with this power HE will set the prices you pay..not the market...he is going out and buying more as we speak and at 11.5 million comic books he is still going strong.

MCS will never let this happen.

I second that, but what are chucks intentions when he is buying out comic book business after and bragging about the fact that the Las Vegas dealer tried to compete with him, but his business model costs put the other dealer out of business and he pays 1 1/2 cents per book. Just look at the video, at least 100,000 probably 120,000 comics for 1500 dollars...at 1 cent to 1 1/2 cents a book and he selling them at the bargain price of 75 cents to a one dollar a book, at almost 100 times profit per book.

more likely we will wake up one day and hear of the tragic fire at the Mile High superstore/warehouse. insurance proceeds. that's a more realistic exit strategy.

MCS will never let this happen.

If you had to guessamate how many books do think MCS has in stock??? 3 mil 5mil...how many or is Chuck up on the market by Double his nearest competitor ?

11.5 million is what, one month's worth of production in the early 90s? There's no cornering the market here.

That what he is admitting to, if listen carefully he has a "stash" of over 2 million comic books in Boulder, his estimate for his main store in other videos has been 10 million since he combined his two stores..he just bought 400,000 comics and paperbacks over 6 purchases last month alone...you do the math...I think minimum 12 mil maybe 12.4 mil...that is market controlling power..no matter what anybody else has..staggering what this guy can do to the comic book market...at a whim.

11.5 million is what, one month's worth of production in the early 90s? There's no cornering the market here.

That what he is admitting to, if listen carefully he has a "stash" of over 2 million comic books in Boulder, his estimate for his main store in other videos has been 10 million since he combined his two stores..he just bought 400,000 comics and paperbacks over 6 purchases last month alone...you do the math...I think minimum 12 mil maybe 12.4 mil...that is market controlling power..no matter what anybody else has..staggering what this guy can do to the comic book market...at a whim.

lol

You're higher than Chuck.

Edited by OhBother