• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anastasia's Collectibles & CGC
1 1

50 posts in this topic

4/14 - Was told my book would be returned in 6-8 weeks, this was surprising because the fee's were $275 and I thought that would be a faster service level...

If you paid $275 for a single signed book, it should have gone Express (which takes a week to gets graded by CGC) - so turnaround time should have been much, much faster.

It kinda looks like Anastasia charged you a fee for one tier, but then submitted your book under a different, slower tier.

If you have the invoice number, give CGC a call and they can tell you what's up with your book.

I'm sure the $275 probably includes the signature fees along with the grading fees. However a ToS 39, even in a 1.0 it is a 4 figure book and would have to go through Express or Walkthrough tier.

OP did Anastasia have you fill out any paperwork when sending in the book? There may be a tracking number for CGC there.

Yeah, but with Lee's sig fee of $100 + whatever Anastasia is charging on top, the numbers don't add up unless they charged him for an Express submission. Which is why it doesn't make sense they would quote a turnaround time of 6-8 weeks.

something happened with me that was similar with AC. The explanation I got was that while CGC turnaround was shorter with express/fastrack, the facilitator might not actually submit the comic for 3-4 months after the signing. Which makes ZERO sense to me, especially since CGC is usually AT the SAME event where the sig occurred.

I was quoted some ridiculous price as well by the representative. The explanation in large part had to do with the shipping fees incurred. I felt they were shooting high with their number to make sure they didn't lose money.

They charged me almost $600 for 5 McFarlane signatures with submission on modern books. Whole process took almost 6 months even though the signing was done 2 weeks after I shipped my books.

No apology for the delay, no explanation of the inflated charge, no explanation of why it took so long, nothing.

Again, I won't be back. I didn't want to pay the invoice to begin with, but they had my books already. I didn't feel like I had much of a choice.

Last year McFarlane charged $50 per sig plus you pay SS fees of about $35 - $45 depending on who the facilitator is - You're out $400 - $500 right out the gate on 5 books, and that was last year. Not making excuses but remember what the artists charge as well + the grading fee + shipping

Isn't Stan over $100 a sig now?

Edited by BeachBum

Cgc is definitely a few weeks back logged. And as for the fee.... A lot of artist and writers are now contracted out to signing companies for signing and cgcing. Frank Miller on a dkr fast tracked was $225 and took two months to get. I'd give it a month more and then get worried.

4/14 - Was told my book would be returned in 6-8 weeks, this was surprising because the fee's were $275 and I thought that would be a faster service level...

If you paid $275 for a single signed book, it should have gone Express (which takes a week to gets graded by CGC) - so turnaround time should have been much, much faster.

It kinda looks like Anastasia charged you a fee for one tier, but then submitted your book under a different, slower tier.

If you have the invoice number, give CGC a call and they can tell you what's up with your book.

I'm sure the $275 probably includes the signature fees along with the grading fees. However a ToS 39, even in a 1.0 it is a 4 figure book and would have to go through Express or Walkthrough tier.

OP did Anastasia have you fill out any paperwork when sending in the book? There may be a tracking number for CGC there.

Yeah, but with Lee's sig fee of $100 + whatever Anastasia is charging on top, the numbers don't add up unless they charged him for an Express submission. Which is why it doesn't make sense they would quote a turnaround time of 6-8 weeks.

something happened with me that was similar with AC. The explanation I got was that while CGC turnaround was shorter with express/fastrack, the facilitator might not actually submit the comic for 3-4 months after the signing. Which makes ZERO sense to me, especially since CGC is usually AT the SAME event where the sig occurred.

I was quoted some ridiculous price as well by the representative. The explanation in large part had to do with the shipping fees incurred. I felt they were shooting high with their number to make sure they didn't lose money.

Padding shipping charges with handling charges is one of the oldest tricks in the book.

CGC charges $10 for the 1st slab, $2 per add'l slab , via UPS Ground.

Padding shipping charges with handling charges is one of the oldest tricks in the book.

CGC charges $10 for the 1st slab, $2 per add'l slab , via UPS Ground.

:facepalm: UPS Ground is capped at $100 insurance. Great idea to have your 4 figure book shipped back with almost 0 insurance on it.

Cgc is definitely a few weeks back logged. And as for the fee.... A lot of artist and writers are now contracted out to signing companies for signing and cgcing. Frank Miller on a dkr fast tracked was $225 and took two months to get. I'd give it a month more and then get worried.

Yeah but this is going on 7 months with a book that would have been submitted under the "Express" Tier (8 Day TA)... The OP has every right to be worried.... Especially with the lack luster communication.....

They charged me almost $600 for 5 McFarlane signatures with submission on modern books. Whole process took almost 6 months even though the signing was done 2 weeks after I shipped my books.

No apology for the delay, no explanation of the inflated charge, no explanation of why it took so long, nothing.

Again, I won't be back. I didn't want to pay the invoice to begin with, but they had my books already. I didn't feel like I had much of a choice.

Last year McFarlane charged $50 per sig plus you pay SS fees of about $35 - $45 depending on who the facilitator is - You're out $400 - $500 right out the gate on 5 books, and that was last year. Not making excuses but remember what the artists charge as well + the grading fee + shipping

Isn't Stan over $100 a sig now?

Yea I'm not a big SS guy, but from my limited experience these prices don't seem that outlandish. I think the pile on has started.

So here goes the story of "professionalism of AC"

Fan Expo 2016. A client and good friend of ours wants to get a book signed by Stan and graded. She had a variant of Spider-Stan from a previous con (black and white sketch). She waited 2+ hrs in line to meet and get it scribbled on. Upon it being done the book was passed off to the staff of Anastasia's Collectibles. The "very professional" individual looked at it and said this looks dry and then he

swiped his paw through the signature smearing it all to hell to ensure that it was dry. Clearly that was a good idea.

Now in disbelief and frustration and after a heated discussion a second AC rep came over and said sorry but we don't have any copies of that book so just take this one and get it signed over instead. I got an immediate call and luckily had one copy for replacement. She was extremely upset not only did the entire issue now leave a bad taste in her mouth, the new copy will not grade as high as the previous copy as I personally took a look at both copies.

Their compensation to her? None.

Their apology to her was? None.

The number of times in the future she or I will work with them? None.

Fan Expo 2016. A client and good friend of ours wants to get a book signed by Stan and graded. She had a variant of Spider-Stan from a previous con (black and white sketch). She waited 2+ hrs in line to meet and get it scribbled on. Upon it being done the book was passed off to the staff of Anastasia's Collectibles. The "very professional" individual looked at it and said this looks dry and then he

swiped his paw through the signature smearing it all to hell to ensure that it was dry. Clearly that was a good idea.

Now in disbelief and frustration and after a heated discussion a second AC rep came over and said sorry but we don't have any copies of that book so just take this one and get it signed over instead. I got an immediate call and luckily had one copy for replacement. She was extremely upset not only did the entire issue now leave a bad taste in her mouth, the new copy will not grade as high as the previous copy as I personally took a look at both copies.

Just a quick add on to this, you do NOT have to use anastasias to get your stan lee book cgcd. At fan expo Gotham Central was there taking subs for cgc. Even if you wanted to meet stan, you could have just called those guys over to come witness for you. Ofcourse you'd have to pay anastasias a small fee but you could have used someone a lot more reliable.

Look around and heck if youre a boardie you should know which facilitators are there and you can use them. :)

Just a quick add on to this, you do NOT have to use anastasias to get your stan lee book cgcd. At fan expo Gotham Central was there taking subs for cgc. Even if you wanted to meet stan, you could have just called those guys over to come witness for you. Ofcourse you'd have to pay anastasias a small fee but you could have used someone a lot more reliable.

Look around and heck if youre a boardie you should know which facilitators are there and you can use them. :)

In the end who submits the book for you? If GC does, then I'm happy this worked out for you. In trying to find out all what had to happen that day and even finding the places that would do various things for you from the Comic Events thread, I found it wasn't easy. I had one day, and it took me 2 hrs to get the signings in order for FM and SL. Then I could try and enjoy myself by looking for books.

I've used Anastasia's Collectibles several times and had great all around service each time. I've met Derek at his booth at Frank and Son several times. Always seemed like a really good guy to me. Stan sigs earlier this year were $100 for the sig +$15 facilitator fee. I submitted through my own account and the books are graded at CGC now. Books were turned into CGC the day they were signed, it was great.

I definitely recommend submitting through your own CGC account. I had similar issues with the Todd McFarlane signing but I went through NYComics who I think were working together with AC to facilitate. Yes, the prices were outlandish, I had to submit through their account, and OVER 6 MONTHS LATER, I still haven't got the books back. I've contacted CGC several times and they were always very helpful with providing information. You'd think for $50 you'd at least get fast track grading. I'm sure you'll get your books, but I totally understand your stress.

I personally use Rich Henn quite a bit and have always appreciated his work. Doug from comic sketch art seems really solid and reliable too. I personally like AC and since they are local and I can drop my books off in person, I'd definitely use them again

Nezara. Has this issue been resolved? Interested because I've got a few outstanding with them as well, and I'm getting the same level of silent unprofessionalism. After reading these complaints it seems I'm not the only one wondering if they're qualified to continue being "trusted" representatives.

I used them once at Fan Expo Dallas and it seemed fine. I filled out the CGC form myself and got a carbon copy. That was before I had a CGC account. Do they not allow us to submit under our own account?

Then, it took about 3-4 months to get back my ASM14. That does seem like a long amount of time for a book that should have been Standard tier.

Im going to LA Comic Con this weekend and taking some expensive books to get signed. Most are standard tier with a couple economy tier books. I have the VIP pass and supposedly an exclusive signing session with him, but Im a bit worried after reading this thread (one of my books is an ASM1 :eek: ).

Anyone have advice? Should I use a facilitator from the boards instead (for RI Con maybe?).

I used them once at Fan Expo Dallas and it seemed fine. I filled out the CGC form myself and got a carbon copy. That was before I had a CGC account. Do they not allow us to submit under our own account?

Then, it took about 3-4 months to get back my ASM14. That does seem like a long amount of time for a book that should have been Standard tier.

Im going to LA Comic Con this weekend and taking some expensive books to get signed. Most are standard tier with a couple economy tier books. I have the VIP pass and supposedly an exclusive signing session with him, but Im a bit worried after reading this thread (one of my books is an ASM1 :eek: ).

Anyone have advice? Should I use a facilitator from the boards instead (for RI Con maybe?).

I would use a facilitator all the way. Im sure Doug or Torrey will be there. I am pretty sure tho that you will still have to pay a fee to anastasias just because they have the stan lee exclusive cgc rights.

also always sub under your account. makes things easier for everyone. :)