• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wonder Woman In The Silver Age
3 3

79 posts in this topic

Great idea for a thread, love to see interior pages.

Have to disagree though on the HG Peter art. His style's a bit old fashioned but he had gorgeous linework and really showed his skill in drawing animals. The Peter splash pages are better than most covers. I've picked up a couple and want more but they are spendy!

Wonder Woman #89

April 1957

ww89_zpsghdyxml5.png 

In retrospect, one may get the feeling that "The Master of Earth's Twin World" is a multiple earth prototype. It’s not. Just another vehicle for a childish GA fantasy.

In “The Amazon Album” more adolescent fantasy at work.

These late GA Wonder Woman issues comes in threes. In “The Triple Heroine”, dimwitted gangsters replaced by space aliens.

ww89a_zpsegrwuyhv.jpg

ww89b_zps4rkotcp2.png 

ww89c_zpsofoz639i.png

ww89d_zpsz0tx8if7.png

It’s hard not to be snarky. These stories are that bad.

Edited by tabcom

Wonder Woman #90

May 1957

ww90_zpsgkamxnfz.png

First story opens again with its target audience in attendance.

ww90c_zpsgyukqfzh.png

Second story splash page is interesting. Peter really liked drawing large winged birds of prey.

ww90b_zps3hdjjioh.jpg

Another issue down as real change approaches the distance horizon.

Edited by tabcom

After Moulton died, Wonder Woman went through a lot of changes, not all of them ones I found enjoyable. Kaniger never seemed to understand the character or women. She was an assignment, not a labor of love like she was for Moulton.

A board member, recommended this book to me. "The Secret History Of Wonder Woman" by Jill Lepore.

Although I knew a lot of the basics about the man who "invented" Wonder Woman, this book really gives you the best history I've read about the background and the reasoning behind the publishers changes.

The beginning is kind of slow, but you get more information about the development of the character about halfway through. Moulton was quite a character. He lived with 2 women, one his wife one not, and there was another part timer in the mix. These were all very well educated people with deep ties to the suffragette movement.

I was able to borrow the book from my library, it's available on kindle.

Great thread, btw, I look forward to reading along:) Those books in the "80" series are tough to find in any kind of decent shape, the paper was very thin

I've used "The Secret History Of Wonder Woman" as a reference from my local library. 1958 was the last year of Harry Peter's life (78). He's services were dismissed by Kanigher shortly before he died.

I've used "The Secret History Of Wonder Woman" as a reference from my local library. 1958 was the last year of Harry Peter's life (78). He's services were dismissed by Kanigher shortly before he died.

It would help if I could spell, lol.

I remember reading that, the book's history of Harry Peter was interesting as well.

Hi Brannon!! :hi:

Edited by skypinkblu

I never realised that Peter drew the title for so long.

Interesting to see that, unlike many artists who started in the Golden Age and continued on later, his artwork didn't really evolve much at all and appears extremely dated - even for the period we are looking at here.

After Moulton died, Wonder Woman went through a lot of changes, not all of them ones I found enjoyable. Kaniger never seemed to understand the character or women. She was an assignment, not a labor of love like she was for Moulton.

A board member, recommended this book to me. "The Secret History Of Wonder Woman" by Jill Lepore.

Although I knew a lot of the basics about the man who "invented" Wonder Woman, this book really gives you the best history I've read about the background and the reasoning behind the publishers changes.

The beginning is kind of slow, but you get more information about the development of the character about halfway through. Moulton was quite a character. He lived with 2 women, one his wife one not, and there was another part timer in the mix. These were all very well educated people with deep ties to the suffragette movement.

I was able to borrow the book from my library, it's available on kindle.

Great thread, btw, I look forward to reading along:) Those books in the "80" series are tough to find in any kind of decent shape, the paper was very thin

Wow, this sounds like a book I'll have to check out soon!

Wonder Woman #91

July 1957

ww91_zpsbfdi1pv8.png

It must have been confusing for Wonder Woman fans to know when a new issue was going to be released in 1957. They would have to wait two months for this issue to be published. A glimpse of something new is here! The origin of Wonder Woman’s Eagle Costume!

ww91a_zpsdwuromjh.jpg

ww91b_zpsplqz48lo.png

Edited by tabcom

I never realised that Peter drew the title for so long.

Interesting to see that, unlike many artists who started in the Golden Age and continued on later, his artwork didn't really evolve much at all and appears extremely dated - even for the period we are looking at here.

HG Peters was born in 1880, so he was almost 60 when he started drawing the title. Previously, he had done other kinds of work, mostly newspaper type Gibson girl illustrations.

Although he worked on Heroic Regula Fellas, remember that comics were a pretty new medium at the time.

He continued drawing the series until 1957, when he was 77.

So dated...yes and no, remember Moulton was over 60 when he started the series and Wonder Woman was fashioned after his ideal woman, supposedly his lover, who was not in her 20's by that time.

The women in chains thing, was a remnant of the Suffragette movement. You couldn't be "unchained", unless you were chained, first.

Plus he was a little (or more than a little) kinky;)