• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Paid up front for commission, now the artist does not answer any contact

33 posts in this topic

Well, today he was supposed to hit the post office and send it to me. However, as of now (past 7:00 in the evening), I've yet to receive a tracking number. I'm not that surprised honestly, since he's promised the same thing at least three times before.

BTW, the artist is PARIS CULLINS, who I think hasn't been working for anybody for some time now. Big shocker there.

He was my very first commission back in 1981 (simple sketch of Green Lantern for $6) at a NYC show. It's a shame he has completely ruined that memory for me.

I had this happen at Emerald City with Jason Shawn Alexander. $200 commission was paid with Square via Credit Card and promised by the end of the weekend. I had no reason to doubt him considering he had a short list of three names and was whipping through his pieces.

Of course he didn't finish on time and tried to book it from the con by noon on the last day. I was able to catch him and was promised the piece by the end of the week. Then it became two weeks, then a month. Then it was promised by the end of two months, at which point he stopped responding to e-mails but still had plenty of time to post on Twitter about fun art he was illustrating at parties and for upcoming exhibitions.

Credit card chargeback and a Square report got me my money back, but lost Jason Shawn Alexander a customer for life. I recycled his Empty Zone TPB out of disgust.

Point being, even if you try to minimize risk and get a verbal contract that a piece will be completed by the end of the show, still make sure to use either a credit card or other method where you're protected.

As another artist that does commissions I'm extremely sorry to hear about this kind of behavior from a fellow professional. I'm not sure why some people do this, I personally have a commission owed to me for going on five years now-- and I don't ever expect to actually get it.

On the flipside-- at Cons I only accept payment if I can get it done during the show, and I keep track of a schedule of them so that I can get them all in. I usually only take one or two on a Sunday because I know like everyone else I'm going to try and sneak out early after working myself silly for the first two days.

Life and assignments get in the way, and I feel for the artist that gets bogged down, but it's better to turn down a commission than keep someone waiting endlessly.

Life and assignments get in the way, and I feel for the artist that gets bogged down, but it's better to turn down a commission than keep someone waiting endlessly.

I'd much rather be told by an artist they are too busy and maintain my respect for him/her than have them accept the commission and then turn on the excuses. And I think every OA fan feels the same way. Their is no shame in being too busy to take on a commission.

Collectors need to take off their fanboy hats and stop kowtowing to these artists as if they were put on a pedestal to be worshiped like a god.

If some business treated you like this in any other situation, be it a restaurant, a retail store, a supermarket, your doctor, a mechanic, or anyone else, immediate action would be taken as it's basically a crime to promise services, charge for services and not deliver on the obligation.

Many feel they need to walk on eggshells since an artist could just as well fall asleep at the wheel and just crank out a scribble sketch to get rid of the obligation. So, many fans afford extra patience in hopeful exchange for excellent work. I get that and can agree to a degree, it's semi-relationship based more so than a strict business transaction.

However, once the false promises start occurring and your patience wears out, don't let it go to far. I think if you can't get a credit card chargeback and a refund, the only recourse is "public shaming" - - much like a Yelp review... a few bad reports and posts can spell disaster for a working professional, especially in the reputation based business like art commissions.

It's sort of pathetic how many fans are seemingly apologetic to the artists for "bothering them" when reminding them of the art due, and many seem almost like their put in a position to grovel and beg for their art, but when the artist tells 'em to stand in the corner, it's almost done, they just accept it and retreat quietly.

I do think that as a customer, you assume both the risk and reward. My personal stance is not to do cash in advance with unknown quality artists, who may take me for the long ride. If it's an artist I've done business with before or have had friends/peers conduct business with flawlessly without incident, I also don't mind cash in advance if that's their terms, but artists who have reputations for not fulfilling their obligations in a timely manner, I'd absolutely refuse to put myself through the wringer and no artwork is that important to have, and if it is, I'd opt to buy a published piece over a commission.

That's why these msg boards are so important to provide information on the "who's who" of the industry almost like a review site, to help each other out.

Collectors need to take off their fanboy hats and stop kowtowing to these artists as if they were put on a pedestal to be worshiped like a god.

If some business treated you like this in any other situation, be it a restaurant, a retail store, a supermarket, your doctor, a mechanic, or anyone else, immediate action would be taken as it's basically a crime to promise services, charge for services and not deliver on the obligation.

Many feel they need to walk on eggshells since an artist could just as well fall asleep at the wheel and just crank out a scribble sketch to get rid of the obligation. So, many fans afford extra patience in hopeful exchange for excellent work. I get that and can agree to a degree, it's semi-relationship based more so than a strict business transaction.

However, once the false promises start occurring and your patience wears out, don't let it go to far. I think if you can't get a credit card chargeback and a refund, the only recourse is "public shaming" - - much like a Yelp review... a few bad reports and posts can spell disaster for a working professional, especially in the reputation based business like art commissions.

It's sort of pathetic how many fans are seemingly apologetic to the artists for "bothering them" when reminding them of the art due, and many seem almost like their put in a position to grovel and beg for their art, but when the artist tells 'em to stand in the corner, it's almost done, they just accept it and retreat quietly.

I do think that as a customer, you assume both the risk and reward. My personal stance is not to do cash in advance with unknown quality artists, who may take me for the long ride. If it's an artist I've done business with before or have had friends/peers conduct business with flawlessly without incident, I also don't mind cash in advance if that's their terms, but artists who have reputations for not fulfilling their obligations in a timely manner, I'd absolutely refuse to put myself through the wringer and no artwork is that important to have, and if it is, I'd opt to buy a published piece over a commission.

That's why these msg boards are so important to provide information on the "who's who" of the industry almost like a review site, to help each other out.

+1 well said

This is unfortunate. You could file a claim through small claims court to see if you can get the money back.

It seems like the lesson here is to always have a receipt and pay with a credit card (if possible). Usually credit cards will side with the customer if you have proof that the business (i.e. artist) is not fulfilling their part of the agreement.

Stories like this are why the artists who run their commissions through me never take payment upfront (unless the requesting subject matter is extremely specialized or obscure). This way, those making the commission request don't have to sweat their money if the wait is long. And the artists doesn't have to sweat feeling like they are "owned" if life happens (as it often does) and they can't finish the commission in eight weeks or less. Works out better for everyone this way, I've found.

It's why I'm surprised more people don't grab up the commission slots when they are announced as available. Ah well, c'est la vie!

artists who run their commissions through me never take payment upfront

I agree with this and the attitude or opinion that the artist is neither obligated nor anything owed to the person requesting the commission.

At the point of agreement, it should be seen as a list, and the deadline is open ended, and even to the fact that it's a creative process, that list may or may not even be done sequentially if the artist isn't in the creative mood to render specific subject matter.

In my experiences, and I've been on many artists "lists" without paying them anything in advance, I'm just appreciative I'm on the list and if it happens and the art is completed, I'm elated, but if it's not done ever, I'm mildly disappointed, but not at all angry nor upset. I take the stance that I've not paid anything, so am in theory not owed anything and have understanding compassion towards the situation if the art is never done.

The problem with paying by credit cards to address another post is that the artists typically ask for more time over and over and over and over again for extensions to the point where it would become too late to request a chargeback to get a refund. And any of this talk about small claims court and suing takes time and sometimes money for filing as well, and is a battle rarely worth fighting if under $1,000.

I've gotten rushed commissions back that looked lackluster for good money ($300+), but in a way I feel at times at least I got something rather than wait for a potential masterpiece that never gets done or after you're put through the wringers begging and pleaing for it to get done, by the time you receive it, the sight of the art may make you a bit jaded about the whole experience and you'll learn to be disgusted by it.

artists who run their commissions through me never take payment upfront

I agree with this and the attitude or opinion that the artist is neither obligated nor anything owed to the person requesting the commission.

At the point of agreement, it should be seen as a list, and the deadline is open ended, and even to the fact that it's a creative process, that list may or may not even be done sequentially if the artist isn't in the creative mood to render specific subject matter.

In my experiences, and I've been on many artists "lists" without paying them anything in advance, I'm just appreciative I'm on the list and if it happens and the art is completed, I'm elated, but if it's not done ever, I'm mildly disappointed, but not at all angry nor upset. I take the stance that I've not paid anything, so am in theory not owed anything and have understanding compassion towards the situation if the art is never done.

You hit upon many of the reasons I worked it out with them to do it this way. It just takes a lot of pressure off both sides. And, in the end, I think, it will allow the artist to produce a better piece, without the stress or hassle of feeling that they "owe someone" or are "owned" by them, because they got paid already. AS I said, "life happens," which is where many artists who take payment upfront get into trouble. Our way takes that out of the equation. If they can knock it out in several weeks, that's great! If it takes several months, no big deal. It just makes for a better experience for everyone this way, I believe.