• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,155 posts in this topic

Let's see if anyone is paying attention...

Reform School Girl! #nn- 3.5 OW/W Pages- Last GPA was $2600 in April 2008. $3300 (Payment in check or MO)

SKMBT_C25216091418060_zpsi5drmglm.jpg

Oh, we're paying attention. :D;)

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=9553636#Post9553636

I whined about this a while ago, but I'll whine about it again here: Never a big fan of quoting GPA when there are recent public sales -- namely the one in which you bought the book you are offering -- that aren't on GPA. I'm counting board sales as public sales.

In this instance, quoting a GPA sale from eight years ago for $2,600 seems much less relevant than the seller's public purchase of the book for at most $2,800 six weeks ago.

Nothing wrong with flipping a book even if it's a board purchase made very recently. But I can live without quoting misleading sales data.

This happens most often, I think, when someone scores a bargain on CLink and then tries to flip the book on the boards, quoting higher prices from GPA.

Dirty pool

Reform School Girl is probably not a good example to use...... it's a hot book that always seems to go up, up, up. Anyone that knows Rick, knows he's not trying to mislead anyone. Believe it or not, a couple of boardies were considering the book at that price. I must admit, I've never understood this stance that a person selling a book for more than they paid is somehow dishonest. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

..... the only complaint I have, and it's just a minor one, is using a 10 year old GPA sale to try and convince someone to lower their price.....

Edited by jimjum12

I think when Rick says let's see if anyone is paying attention quite frankly meant that he listed the book during the wee hours of the night. Most are ready for bed or already fast asleep. And not in a sense where he is trying to dupe someone. Nope, not Rick.

And remember, profit is not a dirty word. Nice sale Rick congrats.

I think when Rick says let's see if anyone is paying attention quite frankly meant that he listed the book during the wee hours of the night. Most are ready for bed or already fast asleep. And not in a sense where he is trying to dupe someone. Nope, not Rick.

I don't think dishonesty and attempt to dupe was what Ed was implying at all.

I think Rick was seeing if anyone was paying attention to his thread, and Ed made a joke that boardies pay attention to that and lots more. lol

Sort of a play on "let's see who's paying attention".

I think Rick was seeing if anyone was paying attention to his thread, and Ed made a joke that boardies pay attention to that and lots more. lol

ok you may be closer to reality than where I stand on a regular basis, but I wasn't paying attention when he listed it, I was sleeping.

After seeing it today sold, and knowing how Rick deals, one could have gotten the book for less you'd think. Perhaps the reason why he started higher than his cost. He expected offers. He didn't expect a quick I'll take it at full pop. Well that's my thought. Nice book, nice guy, nice sale, nice price. It's all nice.

ok you may be closer to reality than where I stand on a regular basis, but I wasn't paying attention when he listed it, I was sleeping.

After seeing it today sold, and knowing how Rick deals, one could have gotten the book for less you'd think. Perhaps the reason why he started higher than his cost. He expected offers. He didn't expect a quick I'll take it at full pop. Well that's my thought. Nice book, nice guy, nice sale, nice price. It's all nice.

I think Rick got a great deal when he bought, even I was tempted at the selling price and it's not a book in my collecting area. His asking price this time was far more in line with real value, I think.

Indeed (thumbs u

I will say, however, that it does ruffle my feathers a bit to see the selective disclosure of GPA data, especially in this sort of circumstance (as outlined by Sqeggs...I'll join his whining on this point). Several of us seem to agree there. Of course, he didn't say anything false in his listing...which is why I didn't post something directly in his thread (we've had that discussion before, as well).

Also, I'm not against capitalism, entrepreneurship, profit-making, etc., etc., etc. But the "classic board flip" (which I define as buying a book on the boards and then quickly flipping it back on the boards) bothers me more than it seems to bother most people.

Buy a book at a convention, your LCS, in a collection you discovered, from a yard sale, antique store, eBay deal, etc. and flip it here...thanks! I actually appreciate that service. :foryou:

The classic board flip...where you buy a book here and then "immediately" flip it back here with a big mark-up..... :P

I don't know why the classic board flip bothers me so much. It probably shouldn't. I'm going to try to not let it bother me anymore. :grin:

If something on the boards starts to bother you, just go in the kitchen and get a hot buttered muffin..... it works for me (shrug) GOD BLESS...

We're not talking about actual pastries here, right? :blush:

If something on the boards starts to bother you, just go in the kitchen and get a hot buttered muffin..... it works for me (shrug) GOD BLESS...

:whistle:

The classic board flip...where you buy a book here and then "immediately" flip it back here with a big mark-up..... :P

...and, yes...I know, I know...let me preempt the question...

Q: OK, Ed. How long would someone have to wait after buying a book on the boards before selling it back on the boards for a profit, without it offending your delicate sensibilities?

A: hm See, this is why it shouldn't bother me. There's no good answer. In the absence of a good answer, I'll just say 50 days...same as the typical gestation period of the female wolverine. :insane:

Q: OK, Ed. How long would someone have to wait after buying a book on the boards before selling it back on the boards for a profit, without it offending your delicate sensibilities?

A: hm See, this is why it shouldn't bother me. There's no good answer. In the absence of a good answer, I'll just say 50 days...same as the typical gestation period of the female wolverine. :insane:

For what it's worth, it bothers me as well.

:whistle:

Do you at least pop a tic-tac first?

For what it's worth, it bothers me as well.

How you feel about the drop ship flip?