• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Todays Underground by freak brothers

129 posts in this topic

This is the print mint version of [Tales from the Tube]. There is an oversized version that came out a year earlier. Most copies were bound into Surfer Magazine.

I bought this one off eBay from Apex Novelties (Don Donahue) c. 2005?

I think it is every bit 9.4+ except those staples (from being bound in the magazine and pulled out).

TalesfromtheTube_zpsujbwjhs7.jpg

It's especially nice to see great examples from Howard's collection. He really loved the genre and had encyclopedic knowledge of it, and he also had a great eye for beautiful copies. His passing was a loss for the hobby

Here is an old Howard copy, bought off these boards from one of his sales threads.

gretchen.jpg

Howard and I met over at the comicspriceguide boards. We hit it off because we both liked high grade stuff and didn't mind slabbing books. We were in the minority back then.

We talked more by phone through the years, I had him on my cell.

Hit him up and ask about this book or that. Was I overpaying? it is nice to have someone like that when dealing with underground comix markets.

He'd ask me if I was selling anything (he always wanted first crack).

I remember rolling over to these boards one day and BOOM there he was selling books!

His threads always surprised me. He was never one to hype his threads.

I think I picked this Die Gretchen after it sat a day or two at $99

More info: http://comixjoint.com/diegretchen.html

I really like this book. It combines my two collecting interests, UG comix and vintage concert posters.

Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.com/itm/152201644680

A nice CGC 9.4 on eBay with a make an offer feature.

I thought about upgrading mine for a spell, but I'm pretty cool with my copy.

Still, this price is not too bad for showpony.

He's only 1.5hrs away and pulling high grade underground comix (but the prices are beyond pushing the market). I wonder if he'd meet up IRL at a con... hm

I would love to meet someone with high grade undergrounds at a con. I have only been to SF comic con and Silicon Valley comic con so far and the offerings were not impressive, One dealer wanted 500 for a vg raw copy of freaks #1. The others just looked at me like I was asking for something illegal.