• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My road to success (Moving Update 2)
8 8

6,552 posts in this topic

The problem with today's youth is they don't want to earn their stripes. Working hard from the bottom up is what we were taught by our parents,kids today want the immediate high paying,no physical job that comes with working your azz off your whole life.

This isn't a generational problem; it's a Gabe problem. There are plenty of people his age who work extremely hard for what they have and there are lots of retirees who coasted through life. Let's not wave away Gabe's horrific work ethic with "Kids Today" rhetoric.

Plus 1. My only disagreement is calling Gabes work ethic "horrific", because that implies that he actually has a work ethic. He doesn't.

I do have a work ethic

Where? Gabe, people are honestly trying to help you, but if you truly believe that you have a good work ethic, you need to look up the definition and see exactly what a work ethic is, because there are both good and bad.

I agree with you there. It's most likely his best course of action. Physical labor isn't most peoples idea of an ideal job/career, but you can make a good living doing it. Since he hasn't mentioned it in this thread, I don't think he has any ailment/disability that prevent him from doing such work. The soreness from the grocery bagging was probably just normal soreness from using muscles that he normally didn't use. Much like if you go to the gym after not working out for awhile, you're gonna be sore. He probably just needed to toughen up a bit and push thru it.

And, as you said, working in a trade in gives you the chance to learn a marketable skill and offers opportunities for advancing. Like you, I started at the bottom (loading up trucks with material for jobsites) and worked my way up. I'm now a project manager for a large commercial contractor. I make a good living; enough to support my family and buy expensive funny books.

The problem with today's youth is they don't want to earn their stripes. Working hard from the bottom up is what we were taught by our parents,kids today want the immediate high paying,no physical job that comes with working your azz off your whole life.

I disagree that's the problem with most but not all youth and my dad taught my that same thing but he said that you should also do things the smart way instead of the hard way.

Which way are you currently pursuing?

Well I'm trying the smart way

I don't profess to be a genius, but maybe you should try the hard way.

I agree with you there. It's most likely his best course of action. Physical labor isn't most peoples idea of an ideal job/career, but you can make a good living doing it. Since he hasn't mentioned it in this thread, I don't think he has any ailment/disability that prevent him from doing such work. The soreness from the grocery bagging was probably just normal soreness from using muscles that he normally didn't use. Much like if you go to the gym after not working out for awhile, you're gonna be sore. He probably just needed to toughen up a bit and push thru it.

And, as you said, working in a trade in gives you the chance to learn a marketable skill and offers opportunities for advancing. Like you, I started at the bottom (loading up trucks with material for jobsites) and worked my way up. I'm now a project manager for a large commercial contractor. I make a good living; enough to support my family and buy expensive funny books.

There is no "problem with today's youth" that hasn't been a problem with the younger generation since the dawn of civilization. The belief that "kids these days" are any lazier than previous generations is a myth perpetuated by elder populations grown overly-sentimental about the "good ole days",

Oakman I don't know how old you are, but I guarantee the generation previous to yours frowned upon kids your age...once...

Today's kids will one day grow up to talk about their own children's generation.

It's just part of the cycle of life. You know you're old once you start hating the next generation's music...or when you worry about stuff like your lawn.

CLEARLY, the OP is an outlier. We're talking about someone who can't even bathe properly. I don't think it's fair to say he represents his generation.

The fact that there are generational differences that make interaction difficult is more pertinent today than in the "dawn of time." I have had associates who refuse to get up out of their chairs and have a file review, or fail to call a client that needed a call because "they are more comfortable with email."

My childhood has more in common with my great-great grandfather's childhood than with my nieces and nephew.

These are significant things.

The fact that there are generational differences that make interaction difficult is more pertinent today than in the "dawn of time." I have had associates who refuse to get up out of their chairs and have a file review, or fail to call a client that needed a call because "they are more comfortable with email."

My childhood has more in common with my great-great grandfather's childhood than with my nieces and nephew.

email sent!

A lot of lacking in social graces these days, that's for sure, but to be fair, I've noticed it from all current generations.

However, it seems to be in a incline to be "part of the norm"

I find it frustrating, to put it mildly and in a acceptable forum format

I had a younger relative explain to me it was rude to call someone when a text will do.."you expect me to drop what im doing to answer the phone?"...that never leaves his hand...

I had a younger relative explain to me it was rude to call someone when a text will do.."you expect me to drop what im doing to answer the phone?"...that never leaves his hand...

What's the youngers take on the call but don't leave a voicemail protocol?

Kids, fine, I can understand them being socially inept, but businesses? People who want my money call me and can't be bothered to leave a message, then wonder why I can't be bothered to call back? Ridiculous

8 8