• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Do You Buy Variants?

Do You Buy Variants?  

5 members have voted

1. 1. Do You Buy Variants?

105 posts in this topic

Depends on the variant. I am not a fan of chasing them as I feel I would rather throw money at improving my ASM 1-100 set or putting that money toward a key book. However there are times that I often fall in love with a specific variant cover. Those Action Figure covers are amazing so I had to pick this up when I saw it. I had it slabbed and it came back direct from the artist at a 9.8.

GIJoe215Variant.jpg

Unfortunately yes, I've a crazy idea to collect all the new star wars variants, currently at 36 :/

Now that is an undertaking that will break the bank!

If you are buying them a few months after they are released, you will save quite a bit of money.

A bunch of Star Wars: Vader's Down variants are coming too. Not at the same level as Star Wars #1, but well above most of the other Star Wars issues since.

Good luck with your collection!

Edited by rjrjr

I tend to avoid variants, except for issues that look like they have the potential to become key issues, but large press runs. For instance, I purchased a WD 100 Adlard sketch variant. WD 100 is a potential key issue for multiple reasons, but has a HUGH press run, but by buying the 1:200 variant I know at least that cover is limited to about 1800 copies.

Or sometimes if I just like the cover. Splurging for 10 or 15 bucks to get a cover I really like is nothing compared to some of my other purchases.

Edited by drotto

I buy variants if I like the cover. Price I'm willing to pay depends on how much I like the art.

I'd also buy variants for titles I'm not collecting if the cover catches my fancy (mostly Skottie Young Baby variants). I just get them for $2-4 off ebay, though.

Many variants are worthless but fewest. It is unpredictable which books will be skyrocketed.

To be fair though, even if there's zero market demand for it, a comic can be either worthless or priceless depending on how much it means to you. :)

Many variants are worthless but fewest. It is unpredictable which books will be skyrocketed.

To be fair though, even if there's zero market demand for it, a comic can be either worthless or priceless depending on how much it means to you. :)

$39.95 to $200 - you bought them.

Within five years of purchase, most of them are $10 worth or less and are still sitting on the market. My wife always kills me if anything is worthless I purchased. I stopped buying them since 2012.

Edited by JollyComics

$39.95 to $200 - you bought them.

Within five years of purchase, most of them are $10 worth or less and are still sitting on the market. My wife always kills me if anything is worthless I purchased. I stopped buying them since 2012.

Only matters if you're buying in order to sell. ;)

I buy variants because I like the art so I couldn't really care less about market price after I buy. Of course, when buying, I'd like to get them for as cheap as possible. :)

Granted, most I've paid for a variant is $15 shipped (back issue from ebay). I've yet to see variant cover art I like enough to be willing to pay $50 for much less $200.

I do. Can someone point me in the direction of a website that has a complete list of uncanny x-men issues from 1-544 including all the variant covers, hopefully with pics of each cover. I'm trying to finish my run but there are apparently a bunch of variant issues I'm missing, I'm a completist as well.

Thanks.

I do. Can someone point me in the direction of a website that has a complete list of uncanny x-men issues from 1-544 including all the variant covers, hopefully with pics of each cover. I'm trying to finish my run but there are apparently a bunch of variant issues I'm missing, I'm a completist as well.

Thanks.

Try here

Linky

I am only about 20 books away from achieving the same goal :ohnoez:

Pm me if you want help with variants.

On 11/23/2016 at 4:15 AM, Waylander said:

Try here

Linky

I am only about 20 books away from achieving the same goal :ohnoez:

Pm me if you want help with variants.

Heyyyy thanks for this. Am also on this journey so always looking for more resources to help.

I own a few variants, but only like two that I've spent more than cover price or cover price plus a couple bucks on. I don't go out of my way to buy them, normally, I do plan to pick up UXM variants as I complete my run.