• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Non-Four Color Dells
4 4

516 posts in this topic

I thought I had scanned the Halloween Bugs Giants before, but apparently just the Christmas and Summer Giants. I'll get to the Halloween ones in a day or so if nobody beats me to them. But for tonight, a couple one-shot giants:

Sleeping_Beauty_zpstpnwojvu.jpg

That is a Dell Giant I would love to pick up someday. Can you imagine how much fun it was to buy this book off the stands! The fifity's version of the BluRay Disk!

I have a few more Non-FOUR COLOR Dells already scanned

Howdy%20Doody%2021_zpsuprhhefv.jpg

I think I'm among the very biggest fans of the Howdy Doody title on this board. Here are scans of my five File copies:

31-05-201174159PM.jpg

31-05-201174202PM.jpg

HowdyDoody13.jpg

31-05-201174205PM.jpg

11-08-201170537PM.jpg

:cool:

Lots of Dell Giants have been posted over the last few days. Back in the early to mid nineties when the Collector's Marketplace came out there was a gentlemen in there who specialized in collecting these. I don't remember his name. Anyone out there remember?

Also, for my money the earliest of the Dell Giants were the cream of the crop. Christmas Parade 1 and 2, Vacation Parade 1, Pogo Parade, and of the course the ultimate Peter Pan Treasure Chest!

I don't collect Bugs so I can't comment on the Looney Tunes Giants. Also, does anyone know the first Lulu Giant? Anyway, a great sub-genre of collecting to be sure.

I'm pretty sure I only have 3 Dell Giants. The Vacation Parade #1 I posted earlier in the thread and these two Tarzan's.

I'd love to hear recommendations for any Dell Giants that stand above most of the rest due to the interiors.

Tarzans%20Jungle%20Annual%201x_zpsx677pb0e.jpg

Tarzans%20Jungle%20Annual%202x_zpspsfh6t6s.jpg

I'm pretty sure I only have 3 Dell Giants. The Vacation Parade #1 I posted earlier in the thread and these two Tarzan's.

I'd love to hear recommendations for any Dell Giants that stand above most of the rest due to the interiors.

Tarzans%20Jungle%20Annual%201x_zpsx677pb0e.jpg

Tarzans%20Jungle%20Annual%202x_zpspsfh6t6s.jpg

Christmas Parade 1 and 2 both have classic Barks tales to kick them off and are great books. I'll be getting a Jungle Annual in a few days!!

Your copies above look fantastic.

Edited by 40YrsCollctngCmcs

Christmas Parade 1 and 2 both have classic Barks tales to kick them off and are great books. I'll be getting a Jungle Annual in a few days!!

Your copies above look fantastic.

Thanks 40Yrs and enjoy your Jungle annual. I have reprints of the Barks Christmas Parade stories but the comics are always better.

Thanks for the info on the Buscema President book, Scrooge.

I've always loved the Terrytoons characters.

:luhv:

Here are scans of my Dell New Terrytoons run:

DeputyDawg1.jpg

NewTerrytoons2.jpg

NewTerrytoons3.jpg

4 File copy

10-06-201244854PM.jpg

10-06-201244903PM.jpg

6 File copy

10-06-201244908PM.jpg

7 File copy

10-06-201244912PM.jpg

8 File copy

10-06-201244916PM.jpg

:)

Edited by Hepcat

Probably only one entry today; but I'll return with nicer items from the better boxes over the next few weeks. This book was actually a purchase inspired by this thread from right off the for sale threads. After seeing some of the nicer Jungle Annuals posted I was intrigued and this issue #5 from 1956 looked like a nice book for $25 so Monday's Paypal brought Saturday's post delivery and it was my weekend treat to read this little puppy.

The book itself is well preserved and must have been unread by its owner as there is nary a mark inside and every puzzle and activity page are intact. Since it came from a collection of cartoon characters one can imagine Mom and Dad seeing the cover and thinking that it might be more educational than the normal fare.

In fact it was but in an odd way and through the great variety of Tarzan tales. The cover by Moe Gollub is striking and beautiful and I could see why a parent would pick it up and buy it for their kids. I was somewhat dissapointed in Jesse Marsh' artwork which looked rushed to me. The lead story about a silent city offers some evidence as more time illustrating the architectural details would have really lent some depth to this tale.

Russ Manning had a hand in one tale involving Norse Warriors. And his depiction of Tarzan in his classic shouting pose is well done. This tale involves a trip into a lost valley. The silent city tale also involved a lost jungle complete with dinosaurs and extinct creatures!!

There are many extra features throughout the book and they flush out the stories with some great little historical and factual African tidbits. In fact the entire book is well written and contains a great deal of interesting information. The book ends with an eight page English - Ape Dictionary; not sure if these are real words or just culled from ERB's books.

Finally, my copy has the ad on the back and not the illustration!! It's a fun ad though and clearly marketed to the kids out from school in the summer.

The book hasn't turned me into a big Tarzan fan but it sure was a lot of fun to read and a reminder that you can't go wrong with a DELL GIANT! Cost - $25 Fun Factor - Priceless!

165711.jpg.b02e61f683bbb767fa18f564fc03bab5.jpg

165712.jpg.beb9bb12b9086f1803a4317ab1c67871.jpg

165713.jpg.2f6edd14d15ba4607f4b4b57fbba2f01.jpg

165714.jpg.2ce0d71ac5a0a636905a3e4361fc6750.jpg

165715.jpg.f0245392bbc5ddbeed1df2b9327fc850.jpg

OK here's a bonus book. Because I usaully buy less than ten Golden Age books a year I don't file them away too often but stack them on top of the boxes awaiting a time when I can reshuffle the decks. When I went to put the Jungle Annual away I came across this Little Lulu 33 in a stack. I posted this in the Lulu thread some months ago but that thread isn't too active so it feels like it would be welcome here as it certainly qualifies as a non Four Color Dell!

165716.jpg.d80d512f47d855273d071156731282a8.jpg

The book hasn't turned me into a big Tarzan fan but it sure was a lot of fun to read and a reminder that you can't go wrong with a DELL GIANT! Cost - $25 Fun Factor - Priceless!

The set of the Tarzan Jungle Annuals is really fun. Packed as you said with Dell goodness and not to be missed. Thanks for posting this good looking copy [and the interiors :) ]

The Top Cat TV cartoon show was another ratings hit for Hanna-Barbera in 1961. It spawned a Dell title as did so many other successful cartoon shows: Here are scans of mine:

07-07-2011101655PM.jpg

07-07-2011101658PM.jpg

07-07-2011101701PM.jpg

:juggle:

Edited by Hepcat

The Top Cat TV cartoon show was another ratings hit for Hanna-Barbera in 1961. It spawned a Dell title as did so many other successful cartoon shows: Here are scans of mine:

07-07-2011101655PM.jpg

:juggle:

NIce set; those are books you don't see that often and from the transition period at Dell as well. I haven't posted it yet as it isn't really a Dell thing but maybe we can slide it in here; when Gold Key took over they made all their word balloons square for a month or two. Really weird.